Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New to fifties group

Been gone a few days and it looks like we have some new 50's ladies - Yay! I lost a family member (my cousin's husband) who fought a long hard battle with multiple myeloma cancer this past Saturday. It just breaks my heart, though I know he's in a much better place now and will no longer have to suffer. The memorial service is this coming Saturday so a lot of family is flying in from all over and things are kinda crazy. Just wanted yall to know that I try and catch up on everyone's progress every day or so. Welcome to the Newbies and Congrats to everyone else on their progress! Next week I will frequent mayo Hospital, here in Jacksonville, Florida, three days. Tuesday I meet with the Bariatric coordinator and it looks like I'm taking home some type of pulmonary overnight oximetry machine. Anyone care to elaborate on this? I think it will test my oxygen levels as I sleep to see if they need to do a sleep apnea study on me. Wednesday I go for labs and my 2nd nutrition appointment (hope she's happy to see that I've lost weight). I also have and ECG and then I see my Endocrinologist (hoping the dieting has lowered my A1C). Full day: 9:30 a.m. - 4:45 p.m. - Whew! Then Friday it's time for my endoscopy and I figured since I've never had one, why not go ahead and have a colonoscopy! Now don't yall be jealous - LOL! Any insight on any of these procedures is more than welcome.

bodyweight.png?ts=1415767632

Been gone a few days and it looks like we have some new 50's ladies - Yay! I lost a family member (my cousin's husband) who fought a long hard battle with multiple myeloma cancer this past Saturday. It just breaks my heart, though I know he's in a much better place now and will no longer have to suffer. The memorial service is this coming Saturday so a lot of family is flying in from all over and things are kinda crazy. Just wanted yall to know that I try and catch up on everyone's progress every day or so. Welcome to the Newbies and Congrats to everyone else on their progress! Next week I will frequent mayo Hospital, here in Jacksonville, Florida, three days. Tuesday I meet with the Bariatric coordinator and it looks like I'm taking home some type of pulmonary overnight oximetry machine. Anyone care to elaborate on this? I think it will test my oxygen levels as I sleep to see if they need to do a sleep apnea study on me. Wednesday I go for labs and my 2nd nutrition appointment (hope she's happy to see that I've lost weight). I also have and ECG and then I see my Endocrinologist (hoping the dieting has lowered my A1C). Full day: 9:30 a.m. - 4:45 p.m. - Whew! Then Friday it's time for my endoscopy and I figured since I've never had one, why not go ahead and have a colonoscopy! Now don't yall be jealous - LOL! Any insight on any of these procedures is more than welcome.

bodyweight.png?ts=1415767632[/

I also did the "take home" sleep apnea test. It was much better for me than spending a night in a sleep center. It's very easy. I had to do it twice because of battery issues and found it a breeze. It did come back that a had a mild case of sleep apnea, so u guess it does work well????

I also had a double procedure , colonoscopy and endoscopy. I get a colonoscopy every year since I was 28 ( Been sick a long, long time ). The worst part of the colonoscopy is the prep. I still hate it. But just think- you'll get cleaned out!

Think of it like a system flush.. Lol

The last few years they put you to sleep so you won't remember anything.

Only thing I would change is they strapped the face piece on me before I fell asleep and it made me nervous. A fellow Sleever had it done and they waited until she was asleep before the put the endoscopy mask on. Much better idea!

Good luck with all your tests. Just think, each test brings you closer to the wonderful day when you can join us on the other side of this exciting WLS journey ????????

To all you fabulous 50's women, welcome!!! I love that we have this wonderful group of new friends to share our journey with.

I have had a couple of crazy bust days, but normally I am on this site constantly just surfing and reading all the threads. It has helped me tremendously both pre and post op.

I was 8 weeks post op yesterday. I am overall thrilled with my results so far and have lost 42lbs. Now I am experiencing a 2 week stall. From this site I learned the physiology of a stall and understand it (still hate it though.. Lol!)

I know that without my surgery, I would never have lost that weight, and it's only the beginning for me. 53 years old, 5'3" HW 249 CW 207 (for 2 weeks now!) I am trying to see onederland and anxiously await it's arrival????

I look forward to sharing my journey with all if you !

Thank you for the nice compliments Grandma2tweetie! Remember, we are about the same height and I'm probably not that much older than you are....so I hope I have inspired you to live life to the fullest!!!! I love reading about the all success stories here from women in their 50's.....we're not dead yet!!!!

Hi All, I hope you don't mind if I join your group. I am a 55 year old married, mom of 3. I work full time at a job that requires standing the entire 8 hours and with this weight, it has become a chore and is really, really painful on my hips and legs and feet! I am having surgery Dec. 3rd (pending ins. approval) and am so excited and nervous. You have all been such an inspiration to me. I look forward to learning even more from you than I already have. So love how you support each other and share information. Three more weeks and maybe I can be of some help to others as you have been!

#onmywaytoonederland Welcome and congrats on your new journey! How excited you must be, so close to getting surgery. Hope all goes well with your insurance approval and you have a great December! Are you doing any pre op diet?

Bella I will on a 2 week liquid presurgery diet. Onmyway I feel so much support from this group also. So fortunate.

I did the 2 week one also! It was really great for me and helped me to jump start into the post op life ????????

@@beachgal2935, first of all, very sorry for your loss.

To answer your question about the sleep study. I took a machine home too. it was fairly simple, The best way to describe the device-it was like a headband and attached to it werenasal cannulas that went into each nostril. somehow it measured how many times I stopped breathing through the night. The next day I returned it and several days later I got a call & was told I needed to come in for a sleep study because the results showed that I had severe apnea! I do currently use a CPAP machine and it's not bad at all.

I also had a colonoscopy, the worst part was drinking the awful liquid citrate the day before the procedure. The actual procedure was painless. They give you a twilight sedation so you are not awake,

You apparently have busy days ahead. Keep us posted.

Bella did you have open or laparoscopic. Sleeve?

Laparoscopic. 5 little holes, not bad at all. I had 4 C-sections years ago, so this was a walk in the park for me!

I just read where some doctors are now doing a procedure where they go in like an upper endoscopy! No external cuts at all. Very new I think though.

What do they propose for you ?

Laparoscopic I think she said 4 small holes!

Edited by Grandma2tweeties

@@onmywaytoonederland welcome to our group!

Three more week, it'll be here before you know it, congratulation! . I was sleeved almost 4 weeks ago and despite my difficulties early on, I have never had one day regret.

How many on here go to seminars or local support groups is that needed or what are views.

I have now in one weeks time met all my insurance requirements and even joined the YMCA to start my exercise program. See my Dr on 11-19 I'm getting so excited to get this going!!!!!