Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Plateau's Somebody talk to me

Hi It is me again. I have been gone for a while. life is crazy.

I need to hear from someone who has been on a long plateau.

I have been stuck for a year at the same number on my scale.I really hate that number. ahhahah

I have tried everything I can think of. I tried medifast weightwatchers exerciseing like a maineac(sp?)

fills unfills protine drinks of every type.:cry

At the Doctors office last month My nurse was telling me that she had read a paper that said that for some reason the second year the body thinks it is starving and goes into safe everything mode.

is anyone else having this problem? I'm feeling lonely out here.:think

Well I haven't lost anything once I moved off liquids after the first 4 weeks

post op. I am beginning to think that the band just doesn't work for

some people. I am like you . I exercise like crazy and do everything I am told

to do. It's crazy!

I am so sorry. Don't ever give up. Have you had a chance to go to a personal trainer. I heard they can really help teach a person how to jump start their body. Just an idea. I also heard there are certian foods that help speed things up. Maybe both a nutritionist and trainer may help. I wish you the best of luck and 66lbs is amazing.

yikes, so sorry about your plateau. i am assuming you've mixed up your eating and exercising? ie - eating, 2 days eat "X" cals, 1 day eat "X+150" cals, go back to eating "X", then "X-100", then X+150, etc ... mix it up. make your body wonder what the #*@& you are doing to it.

same w/ exercise, 1 day go for 30 mins cardio and weights, the next do 50 mins, then 20 then 40, etc ... your body gets into a routine and just "settles"

have you had your metabolism checked lately?

good luck

Going through the same crap. I've been banded for 9 months and the last 2 nothing. I was too tight and eating too few calories so we'll see. It's enough to make you want to give up but that is the great thing about the band, it won't let you. Good luck and I hope things get to moving for you soon.

:thumbup:Thanks everyone for your support. I'm still struggling.:confused2:I had started loosing again and was in a car wreck. They unfilled me fill me unfilled me filled me, and now I have gained 30lbs back. Right now my band is pretty tight. I've got to be very careful, or I throw up. but I'm still gainnig.:thumbup: Go figure????? But I have not given up. I'm very greatful for my band. And for all of you who are in this with me. Bless your little hearts.

I had a long talk with my aunt about this. She works with a very well known personal trainer here in San Diego and I was complaining to her that I hit a plateau and she kind of told me some things to do to try and change that (but, my plateaus are nothing to complain about TOO much -- not a year or anything like that . . . just more like little hiccups along the way).

So, I'm sorry to hear you've hit such a major plateau. Here is what she told me.

1. Log every morsel of food that is going into your mouth. Are you REALLY eating your Protein first? What kind of sauces are you putting on your food (are their hidden calories)? Stuff like that. You can take your lists of meals for the week and have it analyzed by a nutritionist or your doctor. They can tell you if you aren't getting enough calories, if too many of your calories are coming from bad carbohydrates, etc. They might also suggest little metabolic shocks to your body (for instance, I started losing again when I went on liquids for 2 days after my fill -- I think the sudden switch to liquids made my body "let go" of the weight).

2. Change up your exercise. The personal trainer here in San Diego would ask whose cardio classes you are taking and then if you plateaued, he'd tell you to go take different cardio classes. Are you doing strength training AND cardio?

Here is what my doctor told me . . . I asked him merely about calories. He weighs me on one of those scales that measures your body fat composition and Water and all of that (Tanita, maybe? I can't remember). Anyways, he told me that he measures my metabolic rate on that scale, too, and he can tell me that my metabolic rate is at 1790. He says 2/3 of your metabolic rate is ideal for weight loss, so he wants me to consume 1200 calories. I was only consuming 1100, so I thought, cool! 100 more calories! yay! LOL! It's basically the equivalent of PART of a yogurt . . . but you know what I mean.

Anyways . . . you might try doing some of that.

I also read an article lately that plain old table salt (not sea salt and not the kind of sodium in processed foods, but plain old iodized table salt) is really good for your metabolism (I think it's the iodine). Anyways, you might want to check with your doctor and see if you can have more table salt (I have low blood pressure, so I've never really had to limit my salt intake), or see if your multi-Vitamin contains iodine in it (some do).

I hope some of that helps. :thumbup:

Wow! It was interesting to read my post from a year ago. I was so frustrated at the time and now I am at goal.

Knowing your resting metabolic rate really does help. Changing your exercise routine is extremely important. I got a trainer and now I change my exercise constantly. Changing calorie intake helps too.

You pretty much have to fool your body.

I plateaued for 7 months. The only thing that helped me was a good fill and joining Weight Watchers. I follow the core plan which is high Protein, fruits and vegies. The only carbs I get are like oatmeal, whole wheat Pasta and brown rice. I also get 35 extra points a week for whatever I want, like wine or breads, real mayo, etc. I have lost 5 lbs this week, finally! Julie

I'm 8 months out. I've lost about 58 pounds and all of that was in the first 5 months. I have not lost a single ounce in three months. I've had a fill, and do have restriction. matter of fact I have even PBd in the last 3 weeks about 3 times. NEVER prior to that. I'm doing everything the same. So I have to change it up? will adding weights help? I'm pretty limited on the cardio because of arthritis. Water aerobics is the only thing that doesn't hurt me. I'm getting very discouraged.

Yes, weights are important.

What are you eating? People who have trouble losing really do have to limit their carbs to only good carbs and not very many of them either.

I could have written all of these messages.

I was banded Feb 2007. (@ 1 1/2 years out) Lost the majority of my weight in the first 6 months. Haven't lost anything in about 8 months. Still have good amount to lose. Still have restriction. STill PB if I drink too fast, or eat something of the wrong consistency. (I PB at least 1x a week).

I never had what is called 'steady loss' 1-2 lbs a week. I would do major losses --- then nothing. I have lost around 60 -65 lbs.

I would LOVE to lose some more........its just not happening.

All in all, I wouldn't change a thing. 60 lbs lighter feels soooo much better then 60 lbs heavier!!!

Good luck to all.

Great post from AthinnerDenise!. Love your perspective. Thank you! You helped me immeasureably to keep going.

I have not lost anything for over a week and whenever that happens, I look at my diet. Usually I have convinced myself that I CAN eat nachos and still lose weight. Crunchy things like chips and nachos go right down as does anything with sugar.

Usually I am eating more of that stuff and trying to fool myself that I am "dieting".

This week I am writing down everything and exercising 2 times a day (walking 2+ miles and jogging a bit- gotta shake up the system). I bet I'll start losing again soon.

I am a master at fooling myself with food. And a master at finding excuses for not dieting.

This time I will NOT GIVE UP before I reach my goal! No more excuses- I will find a way to do it.

Sadie

That really is the most important part of being banded. That was the real difference for me. I always started eating junk whenever I hit a plateau

on any other diet. Not losing anyway, might as well eat. Stinkin thinkin.

There were so many times I didn't lose for weeks since I have been banded. Then all of a sudden, the scale would move and I would be so surprised because I wasn't expecting to drop 5 lbs in week. It was because I kept following the bandster rules, eating small portions, lots of Protein and veggies and didn't give up and eat junk when the scale didn't move.