Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Less than 40 lbs overweight considering sleeve

Have you been treated successfully for the eating disorder? I think the sleeve can be a trigger in some cases.

I wouldn't consider WLS if your eating disorder isn't under control. I have experience with both eating disorders and yoyo dieting but I have much more than 40 lbs to lose (more like 80.)

I expect old ugly feelings to resurface once I start losing weight and I am preparing myself by having the necessary support system.

The real question is would you even qualify with less than 40 lbs to lose? what is your bmi?

Honestly I'd be afraid to have surgery with a doctor who would agree to do major surgery on someone who had less than 40 pounds to lose. Of course there are probably doctors who will do it because cash talks, but an insurance company wouldn't pay for it I'd almost guarantee.

I just wrote this but I think it went to someone's PM. Anyhow....

There is a company that sends me emails about international doctors that only do sleeve surgery and they target to people that only need to loose 30 lbs or so.

I know when something sounds to good to be true which is why I'm on this forum because I want to read testimonials from actual patients and not agents for the Medical Tourism industry.

I dream of life without the contestant stress and pressure to be thin and the luxury of just being thin. Supposedly many Hollywood celebs have gone to this doc in BAJA Cali. Eg nicole Ritchie Courtney love and Hillary duff. People that were never obese but constantly up and down on the scale. ( which is very unhealthy In itself)

So I hope I'm not offending anyone by joining this forum but I'm totally fed up with this del sabotaging pattern and just want a permanent solution and peace of mind about my body image and weight. Ahhh stability. So after a year or longer after the sleeve surgery - are the food options as strict or is this just a gradual post- op diet to adjust and add foods back ?

Thanks

No WLS fixes eating disorders. You don't lose weight and keep it off just because you had surgery. Once you are healed and a few months out, you will be fighting hunger and cravings and temptations just like before surgery. It gets even harder years down the line. If you are a stress eater or emotional eater or drinker or whatever, it is much easier to put all your weight back on that it is to keep it off. I'd suggest spending some time on this forum, especially reading the complications and veterans subforums to see if this is really what you want. It is NOT an easy solution to your weight issues.

Btw, even by 4 months out I have had no food restrictions or problems eating. I have to choose, everyday, to not chow down on cake or potato chips or ice cream or mashed potatoes or Hershey's chocolate or tiramisu, or Crown and Water or vodka cranberry drinks, etc.

Edited by Kindle

Thanks. What I'm hoping for is to feel full after eating 1/10 of what I feel full from now.

Is this a pipedream? The agency claims getting sleeved will stop my stomach from producing the hormone ghrelin. Which will help by stopping the mental hunger cravings that my brain creates- is this true? Do hunger urges go away?

Also - it is my belief that everyone who has Yoyo dieted and overeats has some form of an eating disorder - binge eating disorder ( just no purging)

I've gotten therapy for my body image issues and food issues and I intellectually 'get it' I really just want an intelligent permanent solution.

I want to be proactive about it and stop wasting time and energy obsessing and repeating destructive patterns.

Are you in therapy?

If not, you should consider it.

And no, I would NOT do WLS to lose 40 pounds.

When you're through losing the weight most patients will STILL have to work hard to maintain their weight.

FYI, all those miraculous WLS "appetite cures" you've heard about wear down and wear out a year or so down the road. You can eat around a sleeve, a band and a gastric bypass. About half the people who have WLS regain their weight back.

What WLS does is to give people who have significant weight to lose a chance to lose that weight while they are building and practicing new , good eating behaviors. That approach is successful for the other half of WLS patients.

Edited by VSGAnn2014

That clinic is giving you a load of BS. Yes, the part of our stomach that produces ghrelin is removed. But 1)ghrelin is produced in other parts of the body, too and 2) ghrelin is NOT responsible for mental hunger. Cravings may go away temporarily while you are healing, but they WILL come back. Like I said...check out the veterans forum.

And yes, the sleeve will limit your portions. In the beginning, I was FULL all the time. 3 tablespoons would leave me stuffed for hours. But as time goes on, you can eat more and more. Now I get hungry and have to eat about every 3 hours. And I could graze all day long and never get full if I chose to.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my sleeve and love how I feel after losing so much weight. I would encourage anyone with weight issues to consider this option. I just think you may have unrealistic expectations of what this surgery will do. Just keep reading and researching and asking questions.

There is no permanent "easy" solution. Have you considered OA in addition to therapy? OA has been very helpful for my sanity when it comes to food and life.