Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

HELP! I GET BANDED TOMORROW AND CHEATED ON MY PRE-OP TODAY

So I have been on my Pre-op diet since 08/15 which consisted of 2 Protein Shakes a day and one healthy meal o 6oz Protein and veggies. I could have broth in between and sugar free Jello, I have to say I was doing great until last night and today. I went into panic mode last night when I received my post-op instructions and saw that I would be on pure liquids for two weeks and not be able to eat until my third week. I had a little bit of rice and Beans last night. Today a rep bought us lunch from my favorite Mexican restaurant, I had some chips and guacamole and refried beans. I know horrible right? It wasn't about self control, I just felt that I would not be able to have it again, and wanted to have my last meal.

Help, will this mess me up for tomorrow? I have lost 18lbs since I started my Pre-op diet.. need your thoughts and advice please..

I only had two days of Clear Liquids before my surgery. No other pre op diet. My surgeons office was pretty strong about me being sure I followed their instructions. If you are worried about it I would call their office and be honest with them and let them know. During my intake at the hospital the day of surgery I was asked two or three times by different medical professionals when the last time was I ate solid foods. Better to be safe at all times. Give them a call.

First off I completely agree with MarvyMimi. The best thing for you to do at this point is to call your Dr. and be completely honest with them! It's probably going to be ok but it's always best to error on the side of caution. The last thing you want is to have them go in and start the procedure and then have to stop because they can't do what they need to.

The second thing I would like to add, and this isn't to be harsh, just trying to be real, you need to stop and ask yourself are you 100% commited to making this work and accepting the sacrifices that come with it (which are ALL worth it!!). You really have to be mentally prepared to go through this process, and make sure you can and will follow your doctors instructions especially post op. It's crutial to receive optimal results and most importantly to allow for proper healing. Eating too soon or too much after surgery can cause several complications.

You can do this! You just have to stop and believe in yourself. In moderation the things you had aren't off limits later in your journey. In fact, very few things are off limits, this isn't a diet it's a lifestyle change one that requires 100% dedication to making the proper choices and listening to your doctor. Dust yourself off and get back up, you're going to do just fine, you just have to believe in yourself!!! Good luck and keep us posted on how things go!

Edited by enjoythetime

Of course you can have those foods again. No one makes it to or near their goal weight without falling off the bandwagon one or more days. No one will ever be perfect in their journey and no need to beat ourselves up over a few indiscretions. But that's after surgery.

I doubt there will be any problems with your surgery but don't mess up anymore today or tomorrow morning. I've heard of docs who had to back out of surgery because the patients liver was too large. Again, doubt it will happen to you but be good from here on or the forum will have to punish you severely ;) :P A couple of cyber slaps can be very painful ya know? :rolleyes:

Edited by 2muchfun

What they said.

Be honest with your doctor. And follow their protocol. I was on liquids for six weeks post op. You can do two weeks. Good luck.

Good Luck...

Definitely be honest with your surgery staff. My surgeon explain that most peoples livers were usually small enough already but there is no way to just look at you and tell that your liver is big or small with out getting in there. I would definitely make sure not to cheat anymore but you may be fine.

I feel as if you have lost enough wt that you will be okay for surgery. just be sure you follow the pre op about eating prior to surgery. usually nothing by mouth after midnight thing. the liquid diet after surgery isn't so hard to follow. don't panic. if you haven't purchased a emulserfier than get one. I even emulsified asparagus.lol. I added chicken broth and emulsified and it tasted good. but whatever you like to eat that is high in Protein and low in calories you can liquidfy it. good luck with surgery.

Thank you all for your comments and helpful advice. I had surgery this morning had lost a total of 19 pounds. Surgery went well thank God and home recovering.

There people are right & just helping , remember people also to add about the last meal syndrome , to the person who posted this in the beginning of this post , yes there is something about last meal syndrome , I had it before surgery I also had 2 weeks of Protein Shakes & a salad with Turkey or chicken for the Protein for my dinners with lemon juice& vinagar to my liking , so just a suggestion to look for Last meal syndrome on this site , , just try & not to do it 2 weeks before wls & hopefully you will be fine .

Bandedmom14: I am so happy things went well for you and you are now among the banded:). Take care of yourself and follow your doctors post op instructions. You will do great :).

So glad you're doing well! Hope your recovery is smooth and soon you'll be enjoying your new banded life!!

Oh sorry I just noticed that you said you get banded tomorrow , just be honest with your Surgeon , so they can make sure nothing goes wrong , I have seen on the site where people only did pre op for 2 days so PLEASE just be honest with your Surgeon , good luck on your journey.

Welcome to "Bandland" !!!

Here's something that I've posted here several times over the years for "new" bandsters that many people have found very helpful. Just to add... following the surgery you may have shoulder pain from the gas used during the surgery... some people get it... some don't .... mine last only 3 days... that was the only pain I had. I found a heating pad REALLY helped along with walking.

Over the next few days you will be feeling a lot of different emotions… many of us have felt or are feeling what you are going through right now.

I know for me I never realized how much food controlled my life. I had a really hard time with “head hunger” in the evenings.

I’m now entering my 9th year of being banded and have talked about this here several times but I think it’s worth repeating for new bandsters.

Try and take it one day at a time. Don’t compare yourself to others. Don’t go into this journey saying “I’ll never be able to eat this or that ever again.” I can eat ANYTHING except rice and apple skins and no carbonated beverages. Follow the guidelines given to you by your doctor. Remember… take tiny bites (the size of your pinky fingernail) and remember to finish what you have in your mouth before you take your next bite.

When I was losing weight I checked in every month with my family doctor to get weighed and measured. (I don’t own scales) I also attended three coffee groups for people that are banded. (I host them). These things really keep me motivated and on track. I still check in every month with my family doctor to get weighed-in and I host two coffee groups. For me support from fellow bandsters plays a big part in this journey.

Back when I was banded my family doctor and I came up with something called the “Egg Timer Distraction”. It’s kind of difficult to explain here but I’d be happy to email you the .pdf document. It REALLY helped me with “head hunger”. I can’t tell you the number of people in my lapband coffee groups over the years that have said how helpful this “trick” has been in dealing with their head hunger.

Also, I’m not really a “diet” book type person but I recommend you pick up two books.

Eat What You Love, Love What You Eat: How to Break Your Eat-Repent-Repeat Cycle – by Dr. Michelle May

I had the pleasure of hearing Dr. May speak at a conference when she came to Toronto and her book and guidelines really work well with the lapband journey.

The second book is:

The End of Overeating: Taking Control of the Insatiable American Appetite – by David L. Kessler

Please feel free to e-mail me if you have any questions and also if you would like a copy of the “Egg Timer Distraction Document”. --- tomander@bell.net

Tom, Toronto

Banded July 6 06

Wt. Loss: 160 lbs

tomander@bell.net