Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

5 days post op... a lot of questions/concerns about the future

Hey guys. I'm 21 and just got the sleeve on Monday. The first 2 days were rough, really bad gas pains that led to non stop burping, which led to dry heaving. I still tried to get liquids down, but it wasn't easy.

I was released Wednesday afternoon and have been doing okay since then. Getting my 3 Protein Shakes in a day as well as some jello/broth here and there. But the shakes are filling me up, even though it's hard to get them down. It's not even the discomfort that makes it hard to get them down but the consistency and that fake sweet taste (ugh).

The pain isn't as bad in my stomach... I mean I've been taking my pain killers so maybe that's why.
I was prescribed dissolvable pills for the gas/stomach acid. I'm still burping but not as much.
I guess things are going okay, not really that hungry obviously but I'm able to get liquids down and the shakes without pain.
There is a stiffness in my chest though, I don't know what that is. It's only sometimes when I'm swallowing.

I've been walking, took a walk around the block 2 times yesterday and did the same today.

However there are some things on my mind. I feel as though I have been giving a sugar coated version of what this is going to be like by everyone around me. My surgeon is one of the best in my states, and has never had 1 leak, so I do trust him and he seems very confident and good at what he does. But I feel like I've been told things aren't as serious as they are just to get my nerves down. It's hard to explain.

I'm still burping 5 days out of surgery, not as bad as 1-3 days out, but still. My surgeon and the nurses at the hospital told me it is because of the gas they put in you during surgery. However, I see horror stories on this site and others of people burping a lot 1-2 years out surgery. Why would my Dr tell me that isn't going to happen when it does happen to people? I know the weight loss is worth it, but I'm 21 years old and very social. I work, go to school, and have a lot of friends I go out with. Not to sound shallow but I really do not want to burp every 2 minutes when I'm out talking to people, or even at the gym with a trainer. Will the burping stop in a few days?

Another thing is the saggy skin. I know everyone talks about it, but my Surgeon, Nutritionist, AND exercise consultant (all part of the bariatric team at the hospital) have told me because of my age this can be prevented with steady exercise (cardio and weight training) and Water. I obviously don't expect a 6 pack but I really do not want saggy flappy man boobs lol. The whole point of this surgery was to be more confident. I have seen guys online (instagram esp) around my age who got the surgery and don't have flabby skin. They told me they do a lot of weight training, so I'm hoping that works for me.

As for the Hair loss, my nutritionist and dr told me i can prevent that as well as long as I get enough Protein and take all my Vitamins every single day. However, people still claim they lost a lot of hair while taking protein and their vitamins.

So this makes me think.. are the professionals lying to me? Or is everyone different?? I'm just nervous about what to expect.

This is also a small concern on my mind, and I don't want hate from it. I'm 21 and in college, I still plan on having a social life. I obviously know that I cannot drink until 3 months out (thats what my nutrionist... who is employed by the hospitals bariatric center.... told me). But I do plan on drinking later down the road. I'm not talking about craziness, but on a friday and saturday night I would like to be able to have some vodkas with crystal light or low sugar drink. I don't plan on binging beer or crazy sugary drinks, just something light. I work with a man who get gastric bypass done years ago and later became an alcoholic, which obviously is not my plan!, but still.. he had no problems getting liquor down. I don't want to hear how I shouldn't drink, or how alcohol has calories, because I know this. At the same time I am 21, and I don't plan on stopping my social life. I still want to go to clubs and lounges with my friends and have a few drinks that are somewhat of a healthier choice. I'll be working out and eating right, so I don't see a problem with a few drinks on the weekend if i live a very healthy lifestyle during the week. So my question isn't SHOULD I drink, but CAN I drink down the road? I don't plan on it soon, but if my nutritionist (who again, is employed by the bariatric center and not some random nutritionist i found in the yellow pages) told me I can 3 months out, why would she lie?? I have self control, I don't plan on chugging 12 packs and blowing this. I mean a few low sugar drinks... some gluten free vodka and sugar free juice or crystal light

By the way, when I started this process in June (nutritionist, psychologist) I was 319 lbs.
I am not 279 lbs. My goal is 170-180 lbs the most. I'm a taller guy so I don't expect to be rail thin. I want to lose at least 100 pounds and work it into muscle.

I'd really appreciate if anyone who has had the sleeve for at least 6 months or over try to answer some of my questions. Thank you so much.

Adam,

This site has thousands of posts.

The best thing you can do is search the archives here and read / learn from others who've had the surgery.

However, remember that the majority of people with WLS do NOT post on forums like this one. The folk who did tend to be people who don't work outside the home, people who are internet-savvy, people who have (maybe) more than higher anxiety about the process, and people who are experiencing problems.

I can't give you the six months out version, but like you I am also five days post-op (was sleeved on Monday, August 18).

Happily, I'm doing great. I'm 68 years old, had an easy surgery on Monday morning, came home Tuesday afternoon, rested up on Wednesday (took only one dose of hydrocodone - hated that stuff), feeling stronger every day. (I'm not ready to run a marathon yet though.)

Today, I did three loads of laundry, some light housework, finally hit 60+ grams of Protein, drank 40 ounces of Water (so far), even got on my elliptical for a short (7 minute) stint.

I also spent longer than a year studying up on WLS before having the surgery and have been active on this and another board since last fall. In other words, I've learned a lot.

You know the national stats (I assume) about how effective it is, how rare the complications are, etc. But here's my plan:

I figure that a year from now I'll be eating modest amounts of most things I want to eat (eating Protein first, then veggies, then if have room, a little carb). I expect to drink occasionally. I plan to live my life more enthusiastically and more vitally than I have in a long time -- working, traveling, being a lot more social, and having a ball.

I honestly don't expect my sleeve to slow me down at all. At my age, I expect I'll have a lot more loose skin than you. I've seen LOTS of pictures of people your age and older who have virtually no issues with loose skin.

Frankly, I think you're worrying yourself overmuch.

Take a deep breath ... and relax. For now, just finish Day Five. And tomorrow do Day Six and after that Day Seven. Everybody says this and it's right: This is a long, long trip.

Dear Adam,

I too have just had the sleeve on Monday August 18, but one of my good friends had it back in February so she is now six months out. I call her constantly with questions. She drank a few months out and all she said was it made her a cheap date. Lol. I believe they want you to wait three months so your stomach is completely healed so it's not like alcohol on an open wound. My nutritionist wants us to wait a year to drink ( probably won't happen for me) because she said it can lead to bad decisions. The whole first year is just trying to get you to relearn how to eat. They really just want you to put Protein in first. Yes because you are so young you probably won't have as bad saggy skin if you exercise, but would you rather be fat with man boobs or skinny with saggy boobs? Doesn't really seem to be that important as it does when it comes to being healthy. Don't stress about your social life you will find a way to make it fit. Keep reading forums and blogs and you will see how everyone deals with different things and moves along. You will be alright. Just don't push yourself otherwise in the long run you can and will regain your weight and stretch your stomach back out.

<p>Hey guys. I'm 21 and just got the sleeve on Monday. The first 2 days were rough, really bad gas pains that led to non stop burping, which led to dry heaving. I still tried to get liquids down, but it wasn't easy. </p> <p> </p> <p>I was released Wednesday afternoon and have been doing okay since then. Getting my 3 Protein shakes in a day as well as some jello/broth here and there. But the shakes are filling me up, even though it's hard to get them down. It's not even the discomfort that makes it hard to get them down but the consistency and that fake sweet taste (ugh). <br><br> The pain isn't as bad in my stomach... I mean I've been taking my pain killers so maybe that's why.<br> I was prescribed dissolvable pills for the gas/stomach acid. I'm still burping but not as much.<br> I guess things are going okay, not really that hungry obviously but I'm able to get liquids down and the shakes without pain.<br> There is a stiffness in my chest though, I don't know what that is. It's only sometimes when I'm swallowing. </p> <p> I've been walking, took a walk around the block 2 times yesterday and did the same today.<br><br> However there are some things on my mind. I feel as though I have been giving a sugar coated version of what this is going to be like by everyone around me. My surgeon is one of the best in my states, and has never had 1 leak, so I do trust him and he seems very confident and good at what he does. But I feel like I've been told things aren't as serious as they are just to get my nerves down. It's hard to explain.<br><br> I'm still burping 5 days out of surgery, not as bad as 1-3 days out, but still. My surgeon and the nurses at the hospital told me it is because of the gas they put in you during surgery. However, I see horror stories on this site and others of people burping a lot 1-2 years out surgery. Why would my Dr tell me that isn't going to happen when it does happen to people? I know the weight loss is worth it, but I'm 21 years old and very social. I work, go to school, and have a lot of friends I go out with. Not to sound shallow but I really do not want to burp every 2 minutes when I'm out talking to people, or even at the gym with a trainer. Will the burping stop in a few days?<br><br> Another thing is the saggy skin. I know everyone talks about it, but my Surgeon, Nutritionist, AND exercise consultant (all part of the bariatric team at the hospital) have told me because of my age this can be prevented with steady exercise (cardio and weight training) and Water. I obviously don't expect a 6 pack but I really do not want saggy flappy man boobs lol. The whole point of this surgery was to be more confident. I have seen guys online (instagram esp) around my age who got the surgery and don't have flabby skin. They told me they do a lot of weight training, so I'm hoping that works for me.<br><br> As for the hair loss, my nutritionist and dr told me i can prevent that as well as long as I get enough Protein and take all my Vitamins every single day. However, people still claim they lost a lot of hair while taking protein and their vitamins.<br><br> So this makes me think.. are the professionals lying to me? Or is everyone different?? I'm just nervous about what to expect.<br><br> This is also a small concern on my mind, and I don't want hate from it. I'm 21 and in college, I still plan on having a social life. I obviously know that I cannot drink until 3 months out (thats what my nutrionist... who is employed by the hospitals bariatric center.... told me). But I do plan on drinking later down the road. I'm not talking about craziness, but on a friday and saturday night I would like to be able to have some vodkas with crystal light or low sugar drink. I don't plan on binging beer or crazy sugary drinks, just something light. I work with a man who get gastric bypass done years ago and later became an alcoholic, which obviously is not my plan!, but still.. he had no problems getting liquor down. I don't want to hear how I shouldn't drink, or how alcohol has calories, because I know this. At the same time I am 21, and I don't plan on stopping my social life. I still want to go to clubs and lounges with my friends and have a few drinks that are somewhat of a healthier choice. I'll be working out and eating right, so I don't see a problem with a few drinks on the weekend if i live a very healthy lifestyle during the week. So my question isn't SHOULD I drink, but CAN I drink down the road? I don't plan on it soon, but if my nutritionist (who again, is employed by the bariatric center and not some random nutritionist i found in the yellow pages) told me I can 3 months out, why would she lie?? I have self control, I don't plan on chugging 12 packs and blowing this. I mean a few low sugar drinks... some gluten free vodka and sugar free juice or crystal light </p> <p> </p> <p> By the way, when I started this process in June (nutritionist, psychologist) I was 319 lbs.<br> I am not 279 lbs. My goal is 170-180 lbs the most. I'm a taller guy so I don't expect to be rail thin. I want to lose at least 100 pounds and work it into muscle. <br><br> I'd really appreciate if anyone who has had the sleeve for at least 6 months or over try to answer some of my questions. Thank you so much. </p>

Hello Adam

It sounds like you are off to a good start but having some of the normal anxieties of an early post op patient. i don't think your support structure would lie to you. They have a lot of experience in dealing with WLS patients. That being said everyone is different. Listening to these posts you will get a range of experiences and opinions.

I am eight months out and can tell you that everything will get better with time. I did not have many gas issues. What little gas pain I had in the beginning was helped my moving around as much as possible. It is a good thing that you are walking. Take it easy but do a little more each day.

The only time I have issues with burping is when I eat too fast. This is something I am continually working on. One suggestion made to me early was to not try and drink a whole shake at once rather alternate 4 ounces of shake and 4 ounces of Water every other hour. This really helped me get in all fluids and protein early on.

You hit the alcohol question right on the head. You will be able to drink, but should you? As a young guy there will be a lot of temptations. Alcohol contains a lot of sugar and empty calories. I can tell you that I do have an occasional drink. I had my first one around 4 months post surgery. Beer has carbonation and does not go down well for me, neither does red wine because of the tannins. I will have a vodka and light lemonade or a glass of bourbon once in a great while. Probably half a dozen drinks in the last 4 months. Some people are concerned about drinking because they may get drunk faster than before, on less alcohol, or they are worried about transferring their food addiction to alcohol. You will have to know when to stop. For me, I will have a drink in a social setting, when I am at dinner with friends. But it is usually only one. Actually, as my weight loss has progressed and I am closer to my goals, I have less reasons to want to drink.

Thank you guys, you all actually calmed me down lol

@@adamj32993, congratulations on your surgery, especially at your young age. You seem well informed for the most part and your bariatric team sounds like a wonderful group.

Things will get better, level out, and a sense of normalcy will return. You raised a lot of questions about alcohol, and even mentioned a co-worker who developed alcoholism after gastric bypass. Part of the reason to omit alcohol is not just from a nutritional standpoint. What happened to your co-worker is very common and happens to plenty of people after weight loss surgery.

Even at your young age, the necessity of a gastric sleeve and the amount of weight you need / want to lose suggests that like the rest of us, you have an unhealthy relationship with food - for whatever reasons.

Not addressing and dealing with issues / reasons why we eat ourselves to the point of gaining 100+ lbs doesn't go away after having the majority of your stomach removed. The stomach gets altered, not the brain, which is really the primary reason it is suggested that alcohol is limited or eliminated entirely. Cross dependency. It is real, and can sneak up on anyone. I think you should enjoy life and if that includes alcohol, then so be it. Maybe you can come up with a plan to have a single drink instead of several drinks when you are out with friends.

At your age, the likelihood of having severe, saggy skin is minimal, provided that you are working out. Weight loss through food choices alone will make you look like a smaller version of your current self. As soon as you're cleared by your surgeon, do a lot of cardio and weight training so that muscles will begin to fill in as fat drops off. Hopefully that will eliminate any chance of "man boobs."

Good luck to you on your weight loss journey and with your educational pursuits.

I am literally in the same situation as you Adam. 21 years old with a social life! I’m from the UK though. My surgery weight was 266lbs. And I’m 4 weeks post op. My last weigh in over a week ago was 240lbs. I haven’t weighed myself since as I know from experience regular weigh ins mess with my head! I can see inches coming off though so holding back on buying a new wardrobe just yet. I used to drink loads on nights out. With friends. I’m nervous about now in the future bc even drinking Water too fast or too much in 1 go physically hurts. Not to mention the annoying-odour-free burping. And then I would always have to what we’d call a “sober munch” before returning home lol. So as to not end up choking on our own sick in bed. Ie a greasy take out to absorb the vodka and sober us up! I’ve no idea how that is meant to happen now with the new sleeve capacity but I’m also not that bothered either like they’re empty calories. My friends have the skinny gene where they’d eat and drink and never gain weight. I wasn’t as fortunate so I ruined my own life going along with the crowd and eating out just to snap it for Snapchat and the gram! (social media) so even if I can get drunk on 2 packs now of vodka and a low calorie drink mix then I’m happy with that but I wouldn’t start drinking until I’m at my goal weight. Ie 7 months I think. I’m aiming for 175lbs. I sometimes have regretted getting the sleeve done because I didn’t have THAT much weight to lose and I did manage to lose 4 stone dieting in 2 years. No exercise. And just eating calories less than my BMR. But I couldn’t live like that for the rest of my life so I wanted to be able to enjoy food but smaller portions so I see that as a positive. I’ve been waiting to get cleared at 6 weeks before going ahead with my personal trainer because I’ve never stepped foot in a gym in my life! My surgery was done in Erdem Hospital in Turkey btw. It was £7000 cheaper than the UK (£10,000). I don’t have any communication with the surgeon or nutritionist so my diet I’m doing myself based on posts and archives from here but also I’m doing my 2nd year of nurse training so it’s part of my career too. I feel like there will be stalls in weight loss but that’s just because our body has gotten used to a certain routine so things need tweaking and changing. The thing about Protein and Vitamins is true for Hair loss. Very true. I already suffered from hereditary hair loss anyway from about 16! So the fact I got this done now 5 years later and I’m 22 in 2 months, doesn’t help either so I’m still looking online for the perfect multi Vitamin and protein supplement. I can drink shakes easily (not in 1 go) but the taste doesn’t bother me unlike some but yeah my Hospital were useless like that so I’ve been left to my own devices and find my own tablets for life. But I’m glad to know there’s someone my age on here now who’s going through the same thing as me!

On ‎08‎/‎23‎/‎2014 at 5:07 PM, adamj32993 said:

I'm 21 and in college, I still plan on having a social life. I obviously know that I cannot drink until 3 months out (thats what my nutrionist... who is employed by the hospitals bariatric center.... told me). But I do plan on drinking later down the road. I'm not talking about craziness, but on a friday and saturday night I would like to be able to have some vodkas with crystal light or low sugar drink. I don't plan on binging beer or crazy sugary drinks, just something light. I work with a man who get gastric bypass done years ago and later became an alcoholic, which obviously is not my plan!, but still.. he had no problems getting liquor down. I don't want to hear how I shouldn't drink, or how alcohol has calories, because I know this. At the same time I am 21, and I don't plan on stopping my social life. I still want to go to clubs and lounges with my friends and have a few drinks that are somewhat of a healthier choice. I'll be working out and eating right, so I don't see a problem with a few drinks on the weekend if i live a very healthy lifestyle during the week. So my question isn't SHOULD I drink, but CAN I drink down the road? I don't plan on it soon, but if my nutritionist (who again, is employed by the bariatric center and not some random nutritionist i found in the yellow pages) told me I can 3 months out, why would she lie?? I have self control, I don't plan on chugging 12 packs and blowing this. I mean a few low sugar drinks... some gluten free vodka and sugar free juice or crystal light

I waited until 4 months post op. My drink of choice has always been vodka and Red Bull. So, I had vodka and sugar free Red Bull. I actually had a sugar free Red Bull by itself prior to mixing the two, that way I'd know if it was the alcohol or not causing an issue. I had no problems at all. I did about half of an airplane sized bottle mixed with a full Red Bull. I had several of them throughout the night. Spread out and with food mixed in. My NUT said the only time its okay to eat and drink is with alcohol.