Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

COMPLETELY OT- Grad School. Need advice PLEASE!

mi75

hey all, i can use some advice regarding grad school! i have been enrolled in a grad program for a little over a year. i'm done with 3 classes, need about 13 to graduate.i am stuck at a crossroads. going to grad school will ultimately take a good amount of money out of my pocket, and that is money i could use for my kids college funds.

i would love to eventually teach in my field. i would need at least a master's degree.

however...i have multiple contacts and friends who have completed a similar degree to the program that i am in, and could not find placement in a desired position. many had to choose a different position or continue on with a post-masters study program.

i love my current job but am planning for the 'someday', ie: my job gets eliminated, absorbed, outsourced, etc. i know that at my age (mid-30s) i have a LOT of years to go.

each semester is a little harder than the last, i find myself spending a lot of time on the work, and sometimes have to focus on the classwork too much which takes me away from time with my kids. the program is online so at least i can stay home but I have been out of school for MANY years and still do everything slower than others which makes me take longer to complete basic lessons.

i feel like if i don't keep going, i will eventually regret it. i don't know that i'll stay in my geographic location forever. i want all the options available to me and don't want to look up someday and kick myself because a great job came along and i didn't have the degree necessary to go after it!

any thoughts/opinions?? THANKS!

Edited by mi75

It's more important for you to get the education you need instead of sacrificing it for your children. Use that money to further your own opportunities. Good luck!!

Who knows what your kids will want to do education wise when the time comes. They may decide on the military, or no college at all, or they may look at the "trades", which could be building trades, mechanical trades, etc. ( Free, no college needed, but will be some training /schooling) College is' nt for everyone, alot of people with college degrees are looking for ANY job, not just one related to their degree. There are'nt alot of jobs out there and a college degree does' nt guarantee one anymore. Ask yourself this, "If I use the money wisely to further MY education, will this eventually let me earn more $ to put away for my kids ?" Just a thought, my best to you !

I was accepted into a master's program immediately after I finished my bachelor's, but didn't take it because I was starting a new job and thought the experience would be better. Now I totally regret my decision. I wish I'd just kept going and got my MSN too.

It's ultimately your choice, but since you asked for opinions.. I'd say stick with it. See if you can come up with a course plan that will work for you. E-mail your supervisor if you need to. For example- maybe you could just do 1 class a semester, 3 classes a year. You'd finish in a little over 4 years, which may or may not be acceptable to you. Anyway, come up with a plan that you think is doable/works with whatever else is going on in your life and keep at it! I too dream of the cush life of a "retired" college professor one day.

Stick it out and finish the masters. The older your kids are the harder it will be for you to do this. I always regret not having gotten mine when I first finished college. My Dad even offered to pay for it but I thought i knew better and needed a break. Well, I got that break and once I was married and had kids i never had the money or opportunity to go back to school to get my Masters. You will do more for your children if you get your education now.

I agree with everyone above. Finish your degree. You are still young and the degree will increase your earning capacity. Suze Orman gives good advice regarding children's college funds. Your children will be fine with all the options available to finance college. However there are very little options for you in retirement so that should be your main concern. The degree will help support you later and also benefit your children.

After I graduated and began to work, I found that work provided me with many challenges and allowed me to become very skilled and specialized. It was my teacher. I became more marketable because of the skills that I learned on the job.

An advanced degree does not necessarily correlate to a better job. We are still in a sort of recession.

On the other hand, advanced education can be very fulfilling and provide structure and methodology in attacking problems and seeking solutions.

thanks everyone. i know continuing is the right thing. i think will be a good thing and like I told my husband, at least I can say I went as far as I could and such. It WILL open more doors for me professionally and I know that down the road I will be thankful that I did it...

Advanced education degrees are (almost) always a good thing for one's career. And not just because of the degree, but because of the learning you've gained.

However, the dream of teaching somewhere down the road based on having only a master's degree is a low odds bet.

Have you investigated what the compensation for teaching at that level (typically, in an adjunct position) would be? If not, you should do so very soon.

I see so many people -- young and old -- investing so much (money, time, energy) in education who have never actually investigated what their actual job prospects with that degree would be.

Remember also that post-secondary education is changing tremendously right now. Much of your own post-secondary education now is being delivered online, not in a classroom with 25 other students under the tutelage of a teacher with a master's degree.

All I'm saying is do your due diligence. Be realistic. Don't remain wedded to a dream that isn't true.

What is your degree in? What's your profession?

I am in the same place as you, kids, college, work, time commitments etc. I have a wonderful job now as a clinical trainer for a Dermatology practice. Im scheduled to begin MSN program at Drexel in the fall. I love what I do and really don't want the responsibility of an FNP. My company doesn't pay for school. However, if you work for a company that will contribute towards your education take 1 class a semester towards your future. Where are you doing your grad?

I am actually starting my APCNP (adult primary care np) at NYU this fall. I did my BSN at NYU and for me having to do a NP program adds a lot of value of what I want to do in the long run. But currently I am single and have no kids so it's easier to go to school. Even if you can take one class a semester it makes a huge difference. That's how I look at it to be honest.

What program are you in at Drexel? How is there nursing school? And is it online?

I have a Ph.D. in psychology. I first worked in education for some time (doing research), but for decades I've consulted in change management in the private sector.

Edited by VSGAnn2014

thanks everyone for your input. i have decided to go ahead and continue on. this has ALWAYS been my ultimate goal and I don't want to look back on my life with any professional regrets. my kids will understand that this is for me and eventually will help our entire family get further. my MSN program is at a small local school but turns out great results and their placement numbers are very high even if it those placements aren't exactly where people thought they would start.

i figure that even if i don't initially land where i thought i would, in a classroom, every opportunity is another door opened and more networking for future options. even though i really like what i do now, i know that it could eventually be gone and don't want to find myself with little options. and truly, who knows..i might land in some placement that is my UNKNOWN dream job!

my program is about 90% online and VERY accomodating. the faculty are incredibly kind and supportive. Initially my plan was to go all the way and finish PhD so maybe that will be the ultimate direction I go in. for now, though, just one class this semester and MAYBE two in winter, one in spring and I'll be on track to graduate in about 2.5 yrs.

I think as mothers we have a tendency to put their needs above our own and think of their future first. I raised my daughter, put her through college with little to no debt, helped with a wedding and then.....empty nest hit. Yikes! So......I decided to go back to school and get my Masters degree. Something I had wanted to do for the past 25 years but always found a way to put it off. Well....I just finished my coursework (took 2 years) and will be starting my internship on Monday. A totally new career at age 52 :-) But it's what I have always wanted to do and finally just did it! My fears were much like yours, especially the technology part and being so much older than my classmates. I am sooooo glad I took the chance on myself knowing that I will be a better mom and grandma but more importantly able to care for myself financially in the future because I have done this.

My advice.....keep going! You will be better for it and will secure a future for yourself!