Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Protein causing sick feeling

I started the shakes last Tuesday night and for three days I threw up violently. They finally took me off them and I started the south beach diet. Which I will not loose nearly enough liver fat. But I want to know what im going to do after surgery? How will I get enough Protein if I cant tolerate the shakes?

I am almost 3 weeks post op and have not been able to tolerate any of the shakes. My counter looks like a GNC store- so much money wasted- but they make me gag. My nut said I will just have to add the unflavored powder to everything I eat so I am taking in some protein... Didn't think shakes would be my downfall!

Day 6: I'm kinda tired of the sweetness, which is really weird because I would probably eat sugar with a spoon all the live long day if I could. Other than that, all is well. I went out and bought about 5416 sugar free Torani coffee flavors yesterday to mix things up. I also ordered a bunch of unflavored Protein powder so I can mix it in Soup. I'm craving savory, which is very unlike me. How are all of you doing?

Morning of day 7- wow I am half way!! I feel pretty good. I'm getting sick of the swwet too. I need to find different shakes as I don't find mine very filling anymore. I only have the option of Optifast *which I'm on, boost glucose and Atkins advantage and that's it. I'm getting pretty frustrated with my scale as it isn't showing the number I think it should, although I do feel the loss in my clothing. How much have you guys lost so far?

I feel ya. I lost 7 pounds and the scale stopped. Hasn't moved. I just hope my liver is all nice and tiny!!!

My liver better be tiny. I'm getting so frustrated. I'm not hungry and don't even want to eat..I am just drinking shakes because I'm hoping that my body will like me again.I haven't even have surgery and I'm still feeling like garbage. I honestly figured the first couple days I'd feel bad but not day 7! I don't know if I am low on sugar or sodium or what but I am really sick of feeling like this...especially since surgery is just days away! Uggh I wonder if eating everything in sight will make me feel better.

Ugh, I'm so sorry! Has your doc had anything to say? I have a cousin who couldn't tolerate the whey Protein at all- made her horribly sick. She started using rice and pea protein and was just fine. I'm so hoping you feel better soon. :(

Hey Jess- I didn't really start feeling normal till later in 2nd week post op. Don't go backwards by falling off the wagon! Lol. Everyone swears it will get better!

Thanks Roostertail. I sucked it up and made it through. Surprisingly today I felt decent so hope.that continues. I changed my shakes and wonder if that helped.

How are you feeling today?