Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Solid foods 1 week post-op?

When I had my surgery, there was a woman next door to me that was getting her sleeve too and her husband had gotten it two months before.

The husband told me that his surgeon was old school and told him he could eat whatever he wanted 1 week post op. Me being three weeks out and having a difficult time just getting Water and Protein in, I thought maybe he was exaggerating.

Well going through different WLS websites and forums, I've read so many posts about how many surgeons allow their patients to eat solid foods one or two weeks post op. Has anyone seen this?

Has anyone started eating solid foods much sooner than the rest of us? Had ease with it? Complications after trying solid foods so early? I am just curious and would love to hear your stories if you had soft or solid foods much earlier than the norm.

Thanks!

My plan was as follows....

Day 1-3 Clear liquids

Day 4-17 full liquids

Day 18-27 puréed

Day 28-40 soft moist foods

Day 40+ regular foods (except seeds, nuts and crunchy stuff which I was supposed to wait 3 months)

I actually had to introduce stuff even slower than recommended. I could barely eat solids at 6 weeks out much less 1 week.

That is pretty much what my plan looks like too, Kindle. I could not imagine eating solid/regular foods any earlier than that. I was just shocked to hear about all these people who were given the ok to eat normal foods so soon after surgery. I just wanted to find some of those people to see how their sleeve reacted to it.

I am almost 2 weeks post op. I have eaten (all approved) yogurt, applesause, and cottage cheese along with my Protein shakes. I had a soft scrambled egg this morning and was in heaven!

Diet:

1-2 weeks - liquids or "funnel diet" - if it can go through a funnel, it is ok.

3-4 weeks - funnel diet and can add textured food (no more than 1/4 cup at a time)

6 weeks and beyond - normal, but add foods one at a time.

Sleeve not minding at all. My doc's rationale is that it is easier for the sleeve to "handle" normal eating if you start using the stomach right away. Well, not RIGHT AWAY, but not waiting for 4-6 weeks until introducing anything solid.

Isn't it funny how every doctor has a differnt opinion? Kind of like the boards, right? LOL

I have the band but my Dr also allowed solids after 1 week but advised to choose foods that were moist like fish instead of chicken and to chew well. No complications so far.

The directions my surgeon gave me were a bit vague, and sort of encouraged me to be intuitive. I was eating purees a few days after surgery, and soft/moist solids after about a week and half or two weeks. I was eating pretty much everything* other than crunchy stuff and raw veggies/fruit by week 3, then after 6 weeks I started adding raw produce in. I've never had any problems with anything I ate, except for some almond butter about a week and a half out, which made my stomach clench. I added healthy nut butters back in at about two months and haven't had an issue.

*I'm a vegetarian, so I can't speak to meat.

I had full liquids for 5.5 weeks and then moved slowly to my regular diet. Full liquids being Water, Protein drinks, SF pudding, SF/FF yogurt, and strained light cream Soups.

I am only 5 days out. Today is the first day that I have been able to drink 1/2 a shake in a sitting....an hour sitting. I cant even imagine eating solid food in 2 days time. 1 week out seems crazy and impossible. And....my Doctor advised to stick to the plan as defined or risk a suture leak. No thanks! Theres not a bite of anything that would make me risk that! I didn't have to do the Clear Liquids only, right away. I am on all liquids for 2 weeks, purred food for 2 weeks and then slowly add in soft, wet foods for the following 2 weeks. So 6 weeks before solids.

Thanks for all your posts! I am 3 weeks out and had an extra week in the hospital from an infection I acquired in the OR. So I am kind of starting over with my phases, so I am a bit far from getting to the good stuff. It's good to know that I can start eating normal food in a few weeks. I am scared to death of doing anything to hurt my sleeve again. Poor sleeve (and me) went through a nightmare of a week with the abscess that formed on my stomach (on the suture line). I am scared to death of doing anything to hurt my sleeve. It's been through enough.

Ok, I have the same kind of slow add ins but I am a bit concerned. I had my surgery on 8/12 and I have followed everything by the book. The doctor said when I was leaving that if I didn't feel like having the SF Jello, and broth that was fine, just push the Water. So I didn't have my first broth or Jello until I was home about 48 hrs. The last few times I was only able to add like three bites of jello and three sips of broth. I have been doing really good (I think) with my water, but today when I sat down to eat some Jello, I have eaten almost a whole little container (almost). And that scares me. I feel ok. Like I could eat more. :( I hope that doesn't mean that the sleeve isn't working. I mean, I can feel it when I drink to much. I am not sure of that "feeling" of full yet. So this bothers me some. Also, I wasn't affected by food at all!! When the kids ate, or my husband or whoever...I just wasn't even interested. But last night, I felt like "mmmm that looks good" Today at church, my stomach growled and I thought the same thing...that looks really good. Am I broken???

I have hunger pangs all the time. I wonder if it's normal or not. But my surgeon advanced my diet to soft-solid foods 1 week post op. I am 12 days post op now. I don't have any trouble getting anything "down" per se, my trouble is keeping it in. Anybody else having horrible stomach upset? Maybe they took me too fast through the stages????

When I had my surgery, there was a woman next door to me that was getting her sleeve too and her husband had gotten it two months before.

The husband told me that his surgeon was old school and told him he could eat whatever he wanted 1 week post op. Me being three weeks out and having a difficult time just getting Water and Protein in, I thought maybe he was exaggerating.

Well going through different WLS websites and forums, I've read so many posts about how many surgeons allow their patients to eat solid foods one or two weeks post op. Has anyone seen this?

Has anyone started eating solid foods much sooner than the rest of us? Had ease with it? Complications after trying solid foods so early? I am just curious and would love to hear your stories if you had soft or solid foods much earlier than the norm.

Thanks!

Even at 4 wks my tummy was staying upset with a lil solid so I'm holding off still doing soft. The tummy has to heal. These drs that don't have a strict plan I'm questioning there thinking. Even my internists told me n my hubs it takes 6 months to heal properly. .

I was on liquids for a week and then soft and mushy food for a week. At my 2 week check, my doctor said I could try regular foods if I chewed it to mush before swallowing. At my 6 week check, he said I could have almonds and a few almonds are now one of my favorite Snacks.< /p>

Two things to remember:

1. Acid can mimic hunger and head hunger can mimic hunger. Just because you think you feel hungry, doesn't mean the sleeve isn't doing what it's supposed to do.

2. At first, your sleeve may still be numb. Just because you feel like you can eat a whole cup of Jello, doesn't mean you should. I'm sure your doctor gave you a recommended volume amount that you can aim for per sitting. Measure out your Jello or yogurt or whatever, and just eat that. Don't worry about whether or not you feel full. You may not feel full until you're on solids anyway.

I was on liquid for two days in the hospital. Purees for a week, soft solids for a month and cleared for general food after that. So yes, this depends entirely on your surgeon's plans.