Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Please help I can still eat a horse

Hi, This is my first post. I wanted to post sooner but have had a lot of problems post surgery. I am worried what others will think of me. I decided to have the sleeve surgery after my husband was diagnosed with a terminal illness. I knew I had to get healthy to help with his care. I had recently been told I was diabetic. The first couple of months were good until I started the mashed and solid foods. I began throwing up, and was nauseated all the time. My Dr. ran tests and all was fine, but couldn't keep food down and was always hungry. I did lose thirty one pounds the first few months but after I began throwing up I stopped losing. One BIG problem is not knowing when I am full, until it is too late and the food comes up. Now nine months later it is getting better but hungry all the time? Is it possible to have stretched my pouch this soon? After being sick I would eat again not to feel empty. I can not believe how much I can eat. I eat light at Breakfast and dinner but at night I want to eat everything. I have not exercise because of the naseau. My problem is eating too fast and too much. I need your advice, did I go throughout this surgery only to fail? I last saw my surgeon three months ago and he told me, since I can hold liquids down just to stick with them. Is that my future? I was so disappointed that I cancelled my next appointment. I have not been back since. Right now i"m winging it, should I seek out another Dr? I hope that someone can advise me, I don't know if my stomach needs tightening or am I doing something wrong. I don't know if my insurance would cover another surgery since my BMI is lowered that accepted. I am sorry to ramble but it has been a heck of a bad nine months. If anyone can help in any way PLEASE feel free. Thank you, from the bottom of my heart or belly! Kathy

I think you for sure need to keep seeing a bariatric doc for follow up care and support. Find a new one if you feel like you need to.

Did your doc not seem interested in getting to the bottom of why you are having so much trouble keeping foods down? That seems like something that would be important to discover.

Also, instead of trying to feel whether your are full or not, simply measure/weigh your food and only eat the proper amount. Stop eating when you have had your measured portion. I think this would help a lot, and also would help you learn what the right portion sizes look and feel like in your stomach.

Just a suggestion, I am still wondering if something is wrong that is causing you to throw up.

Edited by woo woo

I would urge you currently to be under the care of a bariatric surgeon -- either your surgeon or another one. I have NO idea how hard it is to find a second bariatric surgeon to care for you, when they didn't do your surgery.

Are you in a counseling / therapy relationship? I would urge you strongly to find a therapist who can help you deal with your weight control / eating / caregiving / other stresses and issues.

You are going through a lot right now. I wish you the very, very best going forth. You deserve it.

I am probably the last person to recommend measuring, but in your case I think that's what you need to do. Measure a set amount 1/2 cup whatever and only eat that. You can get an app for your phone that you can set to time your intervals of each bite, so you slow down.....and chew each bite 20-30 times. This may help distinguish if you are vomiting due to food intolerance or due to eating too much/too fast.

And as for feeling hungry, are you taking a PPI or antacid? Are you drinking at least 64oz of Water? Acid and thirst can both be mistaken for hunger. And what are you eating? Dense Protein will keep you full the longest.

Great responses! I agree with every single one!

First, weigh and measure your food. If you can't finish your portion, it is OK to throw food away. I typically measure out 3 oz. of meat, but inevitably I can't finish the whole 3 oz. portion. If I eat those last 2 bites, I throw it up.It is always hard for me to stop before my plate is empty.

Eat at a table, not in front of the TV. (So many of us got stuck in that nighttime stuffing of our bellies while mindlessly watching the tube.) Be conscious and present while you eat, and focus on eating slowly. Do not try to drink and eat at the same time--the food will come right back up.

Lastly, think about why you are hungry. Your husband is terminally ill. You must be under a tremendous amount of stress, pain, and grief. Of course you turn to food for solace. I am so sorry for you. What a tragedy. Are you able to see a therapist to deal with this? It would really help, I think. Also, I find I eat at night because I am exhausted. Are you able to sleep instead? Given the strain you must be under, sleep is so important.

Please do what you can to be kind to yourself. You deserve love and support! I hope you can find some comfort here.

Best,

Amy

Lot's of good suggestions, I agree as well. One thing you might try is a back to basics approach. Measure foods, Protein first, then vegetables, eat mind fully and slowly. Drink lots of fluids. I have not had to do this but heard others talk favorably about revisiting the original diet to reset your stomach. Fluids only at first, progress to soft foods and then a full diet to reset your digestive system

ditto all the above points. hang in there.....

Thank you for all the replies! I hope all those who replied to my post gets to read this, it took me two days to figure how to reply to you. I will try all the suggestions and hope for the best. With all the throwing up and eating after because I was hungry again, could have stretched my pouch out? I can eat almost as much as before my sleeve? Can my pouch stretch that much in 7 months and if yes can It shrink back? Any medical members out there who can answer this? I hate to go back to the Dr. who wasn't concerned about all the throwing up and told me just to eat liquids and mashed foods forever. I hope someone out there can answer this. All so I always feel hungry even after having a meal an hour before? does anyone else have this hunger? Thanks again, Kathy

you can request a dye test to see how big your sleeve is. speak to your doctor about it. any doctor can order it.

you need to be sure to measure your food before eating and not eat more than what you measure. you need to time your bites, chew slowly and well, take small bites. SLOW DOWN. breathe. pay full attention to what you are eating.

look for a therapist who specializes in eating disorders. good luck!

Edited by moonlitestarbrite

Hi, moonlitestarbrite, your suggestion of a dye test is just what I was looking for! Thank you,

Kathy

It's probably from eating too fast. I'm guilty of it too :(. I don't know that I've eaten way too much until it's too late and has hit my stomach like a ton of bricks and then it's painful and uncomfortable. Just try and focus on timing and pacing yourself. Try and set a goal for finishing your meal in a half hour, no less. You will find yourself feeling full before then too most likely. I think it's our old way of eating that is rearing it's ugly face again.

Tobytoes i too have been wondering if i stretched my stomach somehow already (i'm at 4 weeks). it's good to know now that there's such a thing as a dye test.

I agree with the others about slowing down. I've only thrown up a few times and I eat anything. BUT if I eat too fast, it comes up. If I take a sip of Water, it comes up. I'm able to stop pretty easy and may not have eaten more than normal. But slowing down is essential!! Use an app or timer. Use a toddler fork. You just have to train yourself.

Are you positive it's hunger??? Thirst is almost always listen for hunger! If you aren't getting in 2L a day, work on that. Also you could have acid, which for sleeve patients often mimics hunger. Try the 5 day pouch test to fix how much you eat.