Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I thought I would start a thread with a timeline that I can reference back to as I go through this life changing event. Outside of this community, I have chosen to only share this with my wife. I have battled the belly bulge since I was a young kid. I was physically active, but always large. I managed to get to my lowest weight when I was in the Peace Corps (213#) however, since my return, the weight came back up. I yo-yo dieted over the years and neglected my health. I went 5 years without seeing a doctor, mostly because I didn't want to hear, want I already knew..... lose weight! I just turned 35, my wife is pregnant with our second child and is due in November. I guess all of these things were a wakeup call. my uniforms were getting smaller and I refused to buy a larger size. enough is enough. by happenstance, I found this website, which led me to the revelation that wls was covered through my insurance, blue cross blue shield federal employee program. Found all the requirements to get approved for surgery and started hitting it hard. First step was to find a new PCP since my other 2 are no longer around (one died, one retired). Today August 11, 2014, my wls office is submitting my papers for approval. I am the most nervous I have ever been. I have jumped through so many hoops to satisfy all the requirements, and now I wait. here is the timeline of events thus far. Thanks Bariatric Pal for all your knowledge, advise, and kind words. I will continue to add to this as my journey continues.

5/14/14 Joined Bariatric Pal Forum

5/22/14 found and met with new PCP who recommended and referred me for WLS

6/10/14 welcome group meeting, EKG, Blood work

6/12/14 meeting with NUT and NP (1st month of medically supervised diet)

6/24/14 Meeting with Psychologist

6/25/14 REE metabolic testing (metabolism is slow 81% of expected expenditure)

6/26/14 meeting with PT

7/7/14 consultation with Dr. Valerie Halpin

7/7/14 sleep study (no sleep apnea)

7/18/14 Upper Endoscopy (found out, have GERD.... never thought I had any problems with reflux)

7/18/14 meeting with PT and NUT (2nd month of medically supervised diet)

8/8/14 meeting with PT and NUT (3rd and final month of medically supervised diet)

8/11/14 Doctors office submitting paperwork to insurance for approval. (now I wait to hear back from insurance)

Good luck through your process. I'm just getting into it myself. But I'm going self pay. My insurance doesn't do this kind of thing. I've found peoples vlog's on youtube very encouraging and helpful.

Good luck through your process. I'm just getting into it myself. But I'm going self pay. My insurance doesn't do this kind of thing. I've found peoples vlog's on youtube very encouraging and helpful.

If you don't mind me asking...how much will your surgery cost (with self pay)?

Rovobay,

Bc/bs fed insurance is awesome. There should be no probs with approval!

Welcome & good luck

I paid for private insurance from BCBS for 20 years and they never covered even a portion of WLS. I switched over to an Obamacare policy at BCBS in January and they are paying 100%. And this with a minimum of hoops to jump through. No wait or medically supervised pre-diet.

To anyone who has insurance that won't pay for surgery or just denies coverage, try going on the exchange and calling the 1-800 number. Ask for help finding an affordable policy that will cover you. You just might find it.

I was a private pay in Texas. Since my insurance covered the hernia repair my out of pocket was $8200. I've seen another post with a dr in Dallas doing the same for $4900. I'm pleased with who I chose and the care was amazing.

feel like a kid waiting for Christmas morning.... watching the clock.... not sleeping... it has been only 1 day since my doctors office submitted paperwork to preauthorize me. I have never been patient at times like these.

Received a phone call yesterday from the insurance lady at my clinic. BCBS Federal Employee Program had a question about my weight history. One of the several requirements is (quoted from the service benefit plan book) "Diagnosis of morbid obesity (as defined on page 63) for a period of 2 years prior to surgery." My last visit to any doctor was back in 2009. I was over 40bmi at that appointment. older records show that I have been over 40bmi several years prior to that. The BCBS rep wanted to see if I had more recent weight history from 2012-2013. This started to get me worried about getting approved. I was able to login to myfitnesspal and found some weight history which I screen printed. I also went into BCBS website that acts as a health coach and is a partner with WebMD and printed off my check-in weights. I faxed them both over to my clinic for her to submit to BCBS. Fingers crossed. Seems to me that should satisfy the requirement listed above. wonder if anyone else is or has been in the same boat.

APPROVED!!!!!!!! I AM SO HAPPY.... MAKING SURGERY APPOINTMENT TOMORROW.

Had a voicemail on my phone during a hard sweaty exercise. Called the clinic back. They approved me. Less than 48 hours after paperwork was submitted. words can not describe how happy I am. I am thinking that I will be having my surgery on Sept 10. :)

Congratulations on your approval!

So happy for you! Congratulations on the surgery approval and the new baby!!!

Thanks @@sunshine22, I hope now I will be able to have a ticker that says, I've reached my goal too! Great work!!!

Great they approved you that quickly. I have bc/bs federal also. Submitting my paperwork after last weigh in on 8/19. Maybe surgery on 9/3 once approved. Getting really nervous now.

Thanks Rovobay. A year goes by so quickly. You will get to goal...you deserve it and your family does too!

Good luck