Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi all I'm new to posting I have gained so much knowledge and reassurance from your posts but I have a question:

Did anyone NOT have success with the pre op diet and not shrink their liver. If so what was the outcome on day of surgery?

I'm struggling with the pre op diet.

Thanks

My surgeon did not require a pre-op diet. Just a two-day fast right before the surgery, similar to a colonoscopy. So, I guess my liver didn't get in his way as the surgery went just fine.

If you don't get the liver shrunk and they can't get their instruments on it to lift it. They will close you up and when you come out of recovery they will tell you they weren't able to do the sleeve. And it isn't free!! I lost 65 lb pre-op. And have lost another 170 lbs since surgery. Dec 26th 2013. Get in the pool. It will help you with weight loss in a hurry.

Even my surgeon in Mexico turned down a patient for not losing her required preop weight. Following your doctor's instructions is the best thing you can do to reduce risks and have a safe surgery. And if you do follow plan, you WILL lose your preop weight and shrink your liver appropriately. I was supposed to lose 12 pounds on my 16 day preop....I lost 22, no problem.

Hello! I'm on Day 5 of my 14 day pre-op diet and it is very difficult. However, I know that this has to be done to keep surgery as safe as possible for me. It's my chance to get it right, to begin the journey of doing things that are good for me. The coordinator at my surgeon's office said, in no uncertain terms, that the surgeon would know if the diet was followed and that he has not operated on people before because of the increased risks.

My surgeon did not require a pre-op diet. Just a two-day fast right before the surgery, similar to a colonoscopy. So, I guess my liver didn't get in his way as the surgery went just fine.

What is your pre surgery weight I'm sure that has to go with it ?

Edited by MzGee

I did Optifast for 10 days before my surgery. I switched up the bars for nighttime because that's when I had cravings. I added broth to the Soup, drank lots if sugar free drinks. I blended my shakes with ice, so they were like a frosty. If you don't cheat and stay AWAY from extra carbs you won't be hungry. KEEP THAT GOAL IN MIND!! don't give up, you have so much to gain by losing!!

What is your pre surgery weight I'm sure that has to go with it ?

When I first went to the surgeon I weighed 307, the last visit before the surgery I weighed 318, the day of the surgery I weighed 310. I never asked why there wasn't a pre-surgery diet required. I was just glad there wasn't. I admire those of you with the strength to do that. I was so anxious about doing this I was constantly eating.

@@jam, i'm struggling too. i have to do three months pre-op dieting, they want me to lose 10% of my weight (14 lbs). so far i've lost 5 and change, but i'm struggling to keep it going. let's shake ourselves up right now, listen to everyone else's advice, and make this thing happen! are you with me?

When I first went to the surgeon I weighed 307, the last visit before the surgery I weighed 318, the day of the surgery I weighed 310. I never asked why there wasn't a pre-surgery diet required. I was just glad there wasn't. I admire those of you with the strength to do that. I was so anxious about doing this I was constantly eating.

Well I'm about the same weight I hit my highest ever after my food funeral which was me eating my butt off before the pre op liquid diet... I know shame...shame... Smh, I hit 330 I was 321 last year and lost 9 lbs from dieting through my 6 month required insurance stuff gained back, then now if my scale is working correctly I weigh 312 while losing on this pre op diet, smh I have serious doubt the scale is tricking me!

Well I'm about the same weight I hit my highest ever after my food funeral which was me eating my butt off before the pre op liquid diet... I know shame...shame... Smh, I hit 330 I was 321 last year and lost 9 lbs from dieting through my 6 month required insurance stuff gained back, then now if my scale is working correctly I weigh 312 while losing on this pre op diet, smh I have serious doubt the scale is tricking me!

Well, MzGee, I have good news, the surgery really helps. I know I wouldn't have believed anyone else before the procedure, so I hesitate to say it. All that good anxiety (and food funeral) wasted. I find I can eat almost any type of food, just a much smaller portion and I can breathe a whole lot better. So, take a deep breath and do what the doctor and nutritionist tell you to do, so you can get to a better place! Good luck!

My pre-op diet was not a liquid diet. I would describe it as Atkins phase one only with veggies. Lots of meat. cheese. No bread or Pasta. I had no issues with it, because as an avowed carnivore and cheese-a-holic, I was content. Still, I managed to lose 18 lbs from my program start weight (I was not required to lose weight, I just could not gain).

The Pre-op diet is temporary. Like being forced to listen to Justin Bieber by your little neice, this too, shall pass.

How long is your preop diet?? what kind did you have to do ? I'm curious because I to did the horrible food funerals and I'm so afraid I messed something up. I'm on day 3 of my preop and I feel like I'm constantly eating. I'm only required to do a high Protein low carb (no more than 30 a day) diet. My prob is that without carbs I don't feel satisfied so I end up snacking on cheeses and what not. I wasn't given a calorie allowance but I feel like it's way more than it should be (1500-1800)

How long is your preop diet?? what kind did you have to do ? I'm curious because I to did the horrible food funerals and I'm so afraid I messed something up. I'm on day 3 of my preop and I feel like I'm constantly eating. I'm only required to do a high Protein low carb (no more than 30 a day) diet. My prob is that without carbs I don't feel satisfied so I end up snacking on cheeses and what not. I wasn't given a calorie allowance but I feel like it's way more than it should be (1500-1800)

I'm on a 2 week high Protein liquid diet, I'm suppose to drink 5 -27g Protein shakes a day, and Clear liquids only... Omg I'm so over this I've been drinking chicken broth, Water w/ crystal light, sugar free Jello and tea.

I'm on 3 Protein shakes a day (using GNC Lean shake Swiss chocolate - they're good!) and broths and puddings to supplement.

And can't go over 800 calories a day.

I know this will piss some people off, but it's not hard for me.