Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm eating when I'm not supposed to!

So it's not even been two weeks since my surgery and I'm sneaking in food!!!! My doctor wants me to only be on Protein Shakes and sugar free popcycles and she tells me I can really hurt myself if I eat but for some reason I don't believe her. I'm wondering if it's because I am a lapband convert and after having a constant battle wiht that for 7 years I feel like I can get around it.

What is wrong with me. Why am I not hungry like the other people here and why am I licking doritos!

I'm really scared that this surgery didn't work for me because I don't feel like everyone else does. What is the secret? Tell me what I need to do to be better and not hurt myself.

Have you read any of the leak/complication stories on here? I don't want you to be upset, but I think you should be afraid of the possibility of a leak. It is real and it can be very, very bad.

ETA: I would also consider visiting a therapist, or at the very least try some of the self-help books regarding eating issues. There are some very good ones that many on here have recommended.

Edited by woo woo

I just posted earlier today that after almost six weeks I finally feel like I'm "getting it". It takes time to understand the ins and outs of the sleeve. And it does soundalike you're struggling with the huge adjustment, psychologically. Believe me, you're not alone.

At two weeks out there are plenty of things you can eat. For me it was any thing that could go through a straw as long as it didnt have seed. ( EX. strawberries) Get the doritoes and other foods like that out of the house so your not tempted.

Try to deny yourself what you want for six weeks and do what the doctor has ordered. You will be better for it.

We were able to eat 7 days out. Very minimal restrictions and no purees so all doctors are different. If you really feel you have to eat try some refried Beans with a little melted cheese. Your restriction will kick in after you are off of the shakes. I am not telling you to ignore your doctor but if you are going to eat anyway try something soft not a Dorito and make it Protein.< /p>

You said you were having trouble believing that it could hurt you - do you think it would help if you psych yourself out a little by watching surgery videos on youtube? It might help reconcile the reality in your head that you're still healing and don't want to risk getting a dorito chunk wedged in your staple line. You can do this!

Im 11 days post-op. Get the temptation out of your house. I have been drinking Premier Protein shakes that fill me up, but when I do have an unhealthy urge to eat (who wouldn't, I haven't chewed food in 18 days) I grab my pillow to cover my tummy and head out the door for a walk. If it's night time (I live in1 the country and no thanks on being approached by critters at night lol) I grab a sugar-free popsicle or vanilla pudding. You can do this...we can do this :D

are you getting 60-70 grams of Protein in those shakes and getting an additional 64 ounces of Water? if you are getting all that Protein and Water in, you should not be physically hungry. your cravings are a mental state and you need to get it together and deal with them. only you cam get your own head together. no one can do that for you. though we can encourage you.

if you are not getting in all your protein and water, then do so. that is the key to not being hungry. either way, only you can do this, and you can!

Thanks everyone! This helps. I think I'm struggling with a few problems the first being my head and the second is I don't feel different I feel great. I've had no problem getting in my Water or shakes. My dr said since I lived with a lapband for seven years I'm already trained to drink slower.

I'm going to keep reading everyone's experiences to find comfort and support. Thanks.

I did not feel any restrictions while I was on liquids but as soon as I started eating purée I could feel it when I had eaten enough. I haven't thrown up but I have had a few times where I ate too much and got the foamies with a very uncomfortable full feeling. You will feel the difference.

You need to speak to your nut and psychologist to help work thru your transition and what sounds like head hunger. You can do this and it's a permanent tool so don't abuse it and stretch it out. Stay focused. Good luck.