Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I don't know guy's...I need Help.

Just as I'm becoming comfortable with my decision to get the sleeve I find negative comments on my Surgeon,

One including DEATH and the family won the lawsuit!

I looked for reviews before and couldn't find anything, So i worded my question different tonight in Google and I came up with a pretty significant list of negative reviews that make me really nervous.I mean should I be concerned about reviews from online?, Don't most Drs and Surgeons have negative reviews and malpractice claims?

I don't know what to do guy's. I thought I had this all figured out and now I'm not too sure...

http://www.vitals.com/doctors/Dr_Alexander_Abkin/reviews

Hello. I can imagine how you feel. When I was first searching and researching to find a bariatric surgeon, I had a couple of references that were given, but I also wanted to search for myself. Well, a particular doctor's name (I will call him Dr. W) was given to me by a patient who had him as a surgeon, but also one of my doctors mentioned Dr. W. as a good reference.

Well, while I was researching online, I used vitals but also used healthgrades, and though there were many good references listed for Dr. W. I also looked at the specific info other than patient reviews. On healthgrades, they have an area that shows sanctions, malpractice, and disciplinary actions too... and long story short it showed that Dr. W. had disciplinary actions in his file 3 years in a row and they were recent years. That was all I needed to hear and I immediately knew I was not comfortable with meeting him for an eval.

Now, please know I am not saying this to make it more scary or upsetting... I just wanted to share a similar experience but also wanted to say that you will know the right choice and decision for you (whether to go with the doctor you referenced),

I would say to go with your gut (no pun intended)... I usually go with whether I have peace about it, but I know that in general the beginning stages of this process can cloud those peaceful feelings just because of nerves in general about having this surgery (as it is a major one)

Also, I would say if you sense or have any feelings of "a red flag" or "hesitant warning" .... continue to think through whether or not to change from this doctor to another doctor you will feel comfortable with and confident in.

Bottom line is you will know deep down what the right decision and choice should be for you..

I hope that helps a bit, (sorry it was such a lengthy reply)

Best wishes, sincerely,

Angi

Have you gone onto the NJ state site that has info on his malpractice suits? I was once referred to a "well respected" local doctor and on a whim I looked her up on the California medical board site. I found that she had been sanctioned by the state. In California the full licensing board report is available... and I was appalled by her. She had a history of making the same egregious mistakes in surgery....The more I read the more convinced I was that she was bad news and that I had dodged a bullet. The very last report was a recommendation that her license be revoked. I'm

hoping for your peace of mind you can find out more about his record from the state.

Best of Luck!

Edited by I will what I want

I looked up his malpractice suit in NJ online and saw that whatever suit was filed didn't give any description of what happened, if the family won or they just settled out of court. It just showed the amount that was given to the family.

But hes been in business for a while and I only saw the one suit against him, so that makes me feel a little better.

Not sure what I'm going to do yet, But I'm definitely going to keep trying to get another appointment with him before the surgery because I don't really feel comfortable only meeting him once and then seeing him the day of a same day surgery..Thanks for all the support and information everyone!

Things happen. I know a guy who went to Stanford for hip replacement and had a heart attack on the table. He was in great shape at one of the best hospitals in the country and he didn't make it. The odds are in your favor. You never know what medical conditions people have going in to surgery unless you know them personally. It's a terrible tragedy when things don't go the way we want them too but again things happen. You are using a surgeon who has lots of experience and many many positive outcomes, you are also young. You should be informed of course but we take chances every day. Especially on the freeways. My sleeve was so easy. The best decision I have ever made. Think positive, be positive and look forward to the future.

Just want to react to above comment... Just because a surgeon loses a patient does not mean they are guilty of malpractice. As you say, there are sometimes undetectable patient health issues, and there are just the inherent risks of surgery. If a malpractice suit is won that means the surgeon's negligence or bad decision was found to have led to the bad outcome.

Can good doctors make mistakes? Sure. Would i personally rather get operated by one who has not made a mistake that killed someone? Hell yes! Your mileage may vary.

Things happen. I know a guy who went to Stanford for hip replacement and had a heart attack on the table. He was in great shape at one of the best hospitals in the country and he didn't make it. The odds are in your favor. You never know what medical conditions people have going in to surgery unless you know them personally. It's a terrible tragedy when things don't go the way we want them too but again things happen. You are using a surgeon who has lots of experience and many many positive outcomes, you are also young. You should be informed of course but we take chances every day. Especially on the freeways. My sleeve was so easy. The best decision I have ever made. Think positive, be positive and look forward to the future.

This comment made a couple of posts above is not relevant to the situation at hand.

Yes, surgical deaths and complications happen.

But just because a patient dies in surgery or has complications as a result of surgery is no basis for an award / settlement to the family.

The surgeon OR the hospital OR some caregiver involved in the patient's care must have been judged by someone with legal or financial authority to have been at fault for an award to the family or for a settlement to the family to have been made.

It absolutely makes me bonkers that a patient considering a patient like is effectively barred (by the surgeon's schedulers) from even discussing this with the surgeon or his representatives.

Patient are consumers, fercrissakes! They're not inmates who have to go where and when they're told. (That last bit is a little over-rhetorical, but I hope my point is made.)

Edited by VSGAnn2014

i think it's important that you trust your doctor. whether he is trustworthy or not, the important thing is how YOU feel about him. if there's any doubt that you are comfortable with this surgeon, please don't let the thought that changing doctors may push back your surgery date influence you. in the long run, a few months won't make a difference.

I would get a second opinion. There is nothing wrong with that.

I'm with those who worry about all the "smoke". I wouldn't want anyone cutting on me that had a bunch of negative reviews. Please find another surgeon! Your insurance company should be able to help you with that. Good luck!

Go to the state medical board website. That should help you alot better than just random comments that you really cannot validate. Don't go with your gut.....not with something as serious as who is going to cut you open and rearrange your insides. Get real data. Good luck and let us know what happens. If you have to postpone the surgery and see someone else, do it. This is serious business. When I was told I needed my hips replaced last year, it was the head of orthopaedics at NYU who told me. I still went to see the head of ortho at Beth Israel before consenting to such an invasive procedure.

I looked up his malpractice suit in NJ online and saw that whatever suit was filed didn't give any description of what happened, if the family won or they just settled out of court. It just showed the amount that was given to the family.

But hes been in business for a while and I only saw the one suit against him, so that makes me feel a little better.

Not sure what I'm going to do yet, But I'm definitely going to keep trying to get another appointment with him before the surgery because I don't really feel comfortable only meeting him once and then seeing him the day of a same day surgery..Thanks for all the support and information everyone!

I can totally understand why you would be hesitant. Here's my take on all of this, including the responses you have been given so far.

My background is in the area of law - I have not passed the bar but I have a J.D. and experience working with many lawyers as a result. Doctors are usually sued under the theory of negligence. This means that they had a duty to do something or not do something and they breached that duty which, in turn, caused harm to the patient. Often, it is easy to prove that there was a duty and that harm was caused. What is problematic is proving that what was done (or not done) caused the harm. In this day and age, it is easier (and cheaper) for the doctor to simply settle out of court rather than fight. Many of my brethren are anxious to take advantage of a situation like this because it means a fast paycheck. I hate to say that because there are many, many good and honest lawyers out there, but this is the reality. Because of this, a low percentage of cases actually make it to the court setting.

Also, because there are risks to this surgery, the doctor can do everything right and complications can still arise. The key (for medical professionals) to avoiding most lawsuits is informed consent. However, some people feel adamant that the doctor was in the wrong (and in some cases the doctor WAS negligent) and insist on retaining a lawyer and suing. As such, even the best doctors are subject to lawsuits simply because they practice medicine, regardless of whether they were negligent or not.

I am glad to see that you intend to speak to him about this. Tell him that in your research, you came across the information about him and it has you worried. He may or may not want to talk about it. My hope is that he is straight-forward with you. He won't talk about the details of the settlement (assuming there is one) but if there is one, he can mention that fact. I am hoping he will be willing to talk about his side of things, at the very least. I think you will be able to tell a lot from this conversation. It will either make you feel better or convince you to go to someone else.

Edited by HaddocksEyes

I just check my surgeon, and he has similarly bad reviews. It was a center of excellence. He was wonderful, the hospital was the best, even the staff that cleaned my room offered to go get me a Popsicle or drink. They were absolutely the best. For whatever it is worth.