Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Depressed and Scared...will this work?

My opinion is that you are going through emotional upheaval over giving up food. It's hard but just trust the process. Stop trying to push limits like eating solids too soon and then become anxious over it. Just follow the program and know that it takes awhile before all the nerves heal etc and you feel restriction.

It does work but it's a huge adjustment. I lost 160# post sleeve..one at a time... one good choice at a time.

Watch out for Beans they are packed with carbs and can stall weight loss. Actually all carbs. Try using MyFitnessPal to track your food intake, it has a bar code reader so you can have a more accurate picture of processed foods in your diet. I started out just guessing and found out that I wasn't eating nearly enough.

Totally disagree on the bean thing. :) Great source of Protein, healthy carbs and fiber!

There are good carbs and bad carbs. These are the good guys. :D

Hi my name is Denise and I have a question is it normal to feel depressed now I had my surgery on July 21 2014 for the last couple of days i feel like i did the wrong thing by doing the sleeve but i only get depressed at night i am trying to figure out why it only happen at that time i cry myself to sleep now can anybody give me some feed back on how i can deal or cope with the feeling i feel right now

Denise, you are a little less than 3 weeks out. You're body is still healing. You are still having to mentally adjust to the food stages and the extremely less quantity of food. It is hard. Whoever says that the sleeve is the "easy way out", has no idea what they are talking about. Feeling down is normal. When I would get down in the dumps, I would psych myself out of it by remembering the following:

1. The food stages are only TEMPORARY

2. The swelling in my tummy WILL GO DOWN, thus EVENTUALLY allowing me to get the caloric, Protein, and Fluid intake required by my doctor.

3. [And when I was at your stage of post-op, I would think...] One year from now, I'm going to be a skinny B*%ch!!!

I focused on #3 a whole lot! It got me through the hard times. And because I focused on #3, I knew I had to follow the rules and exercise. So, once the swelling went down, I made sure I was getting my Protein and Water in, as well as (and this is very important, especially if you choose to become very active) the right types of carbs. I started exercising: first I started with walking and working out on my elliptical, then I moved up to slow jogging in between intervals of walking, and from there I just kept pushing myself further and further. Now I run, sprint, run bleachers, push-ups, weights, CrossFit...

The point is, you need to re-focus your energy somewhere else! Psyche yourself out of your depression. I refocused mine on exercise. Every time I started feeling down, I would go for a walk, run...or do whatever or wherever I was at with my fitness level. So, if you're feeling down at night, maybe try going for a walk. Get those feel good endorphins pumping!

Good luck to you Denise. Remember: the beginning stages are temporary, you did the right thing; you're weight can only go down from here; it took time to get big and it will take time to get small, but everyday you're on your way to becoming a skinny minny; you have the power to change your life for the better. Use your tool wisely. It gives you the power to control quantity, but you have to choose QUALITY! You will get through this, I promise!

Totally disagree on the bean thing. :) Great source of Protein, healthy carbs and fiber! There are good carbs and bad carbs. These are the good guys. :D

Agree with LipstickLady. I'm very active and I need energy. That requires fueling my body with the right types of carbs. Carbs--good carbs--are essential to sustain energy and I need a good amount of them for my high intensity workouts that run for long durations of time.

I think it's normal I had my fears .

I also think most of the obese people used food as a comfort zone much like addicts used drugs and booze , now that food is not being used it might be forcing some to face their issues and possibly why you feel depressed or you are depressed cause food is a big part of yo hand now you feel that since it's gone you are missing something . All I know for me I am glad I did it. . Yes I get scared that in the long term I don't lose it all or I fail . But right now I am losing 20 plus a month I am so excited .

Denise, you are a little less than 3 weeks out. You're body is still healing. You are still having to mentally adjust to the food stages and the extremely less quantity of food. It is hard. Whoever says that the sleeve is the "easy way out", has no idea what they are talking about. Feeling down is normal. When I would get down in the dumps, I would psych myself out of it by remembering the following:1. The food stages are only TEMPORARY2. The swelling in my tummy WILL GO DOWN, thus EVENTUALLY allowing me to get the caloric, Protein, and Fluid intake required by my doctor. 3. [And when I was at your stage of post-op, I would think...] One year from now, I'm going to be a skinny B*%ch!!!I focused on #3 a whole lot! It got me through the hard times. And because I focused on #3, I knew I had to follow the rules and exercise. So, once the swelling went down, I made sure I was getting my Protein and Water in, as well as (and this is very important, especially if you choose to become very active) the right types of carbs. I started exercising: first I started with walking and working out on my elliptical, then I moved up to slow jogging in between intervals of walking, and from there I just kept pushing myself further and further. Now I run, sprint, run bleachers, push-ups, weights, CrossFit...The point is, you need to re-focus your energy somewhere else! Psyche yourself out of your depression. I refocused mine on exercise. Every time I started feeling down, I would go for a walk, run...or do whatever or wherever I was at with my fitness level. So, if you're feeling down at night, maybe try going for a walk. Get those feel good endorphins pumping!Good luck to you Denise. Remember: the beginning stages are temporary, you did the right thing; you're weight can only go down from here; it took time to get big and it will take time to get small, but everyday you're on your way to becoming a skinny minny; you have the power to change your life for the better. Use your tool wisely. It gives you the power to control quantity, but you have to choose QUALITY! You will get through this, I promise!

i want to say thank you curvy for the wonderful words of wisdom i am going to do just as you said psych myself out and i am also gonna continue walking i am getting ready to join the gym so that i can get my body in shape and continue to do the right thing because this time next year i want to look my best i want to wear a two piece for the summer time

Blonde Ambition, a few thoughts for you...

Trouble getting the 60-80 grams of Protein in? Here's a formula that works for me. It may help.

• Breakfast - Protein shake. I like Premier brand chocolate. 30 grams of Protein for only 160 calories and 1 sugar
  • Drink 3 cups of Water before lunch. I like Crystal Light decaf/sugar free Iced Tea (or the generic equivalent)
  • Lunch: 4 oz tuna salad with low fat mayo and sugar free relish. 120 calories and 20 grams of protein (50 so far.)
  • Drink 3 more cups of water/tea before dinner.
  • Afternoon snack: Greek Yogurt 80-100 calories and 12 grams of protein. (Now we're up to 62.)
  • Dinner: 3-3.5 oz of grilled chicken, salmon, or steak. 100-200 calories and 20-28 grams of protein. (Yay! That's 70 or more grams of protein and 500-700 calories.)
  • Drink your last 3 cups of Water after dinner.< /li>

Remember not to drink for 30 minutes before or after eating -- before fills you up so you can't eat what you need, and after flushes your food away so you don't absorb it as well and you might get hungry sooner.

Lather, rinse, and repeat with different combinations of chicken, fish, beef, and pork. Beans are good, but lower in protein so you may need to supplement them with another shake. That's okay. Your calories are really low, so if you need another shake to make your protein goals - go for it.

Try, really try to get some walking in. I had been avoiding walking for a year because my feet/ankles/knees hurt. Now I love it and miss it if I don't get it. And the discomfort is gradually going away.

Don't worry about stretching your stomach. At this stage you can't get enough food in there to stretch it. Besides, the sleeve surgery removes the "stretchy" part of the stomach. What's left can stretch a little down the road, but not much. The way I understand it, those who don't succeed, still can't overeat at meals, they cheat by eating calorie-dense food between meals. In other words, candy, juices, ice cream, and "white stuff" starches. Of course, we should also make good choices at mealtime.

Hang in there, I'm only three weeks ahead of you, but I feel great! I promise, if you get some walking in and hit your protein goals every day you'll start to feel much better. Good luck!

Edited by Rogofulm

Thank you, Rogofulm. That analogy really helps. I am confused whether I should be shooting for 600-800 calories per day, or 1,000-1200 (not near that right now)...Is the higher number for "later"?

Our roads are terrible for walking, no shoulders. I can try to walk during work hours, though! I have an elliptical that I thought I would start slow on. I used to do 30 minutes, high and low setting, no prob...but getting out of bed and listing around the house felt like a major effort today. I did a lot of gardening yesterday, weed pulling, lifting logs to take to the burn pile. It may be why I'm tired today. It seems like if I feel good and do a bunch one day, I sure pay for it the next day! Ah well, it will get better.

It will definitely get better! I work in an office building so I walk around the upper floors where there are less people. Is there a mall nearby where you go go at lunchtime? Or can you drive to a nearby park and walk on the paths at lunch. I do that quite frequently too. Gardening is good exercise, but what you did sounds like it would wipe me out too. Give yourself credit for that! And yes, 600-800 calories is all you can expect to manage for a while. I've heard from people that they get to 1200-1300 calories at about one year. At the moment, I can't even imagine how they do that! Please try to keep positive. It sounds like you're on the right track. As they say.... it's a process. Good luck!!!