Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

He has become more understanding after educating himself on the procedure. His concerns were legitimate, but I'm extremely happy that I have gained his support. He simply doesn't think I'm overweight and need surgery. He asserts that he loves me the way I am, but I'm "doing it for me." Thank you so much for your support. I am amazed at how supportive everyone on this forum is.

It is so great to read this thread today. I am feeling down tonight and needed it! I am on day 6 of my pre-op liquid diet in prep for my surgery on August 18th. Both my parents have had the lapband surgery and are so supportive of me doing this. My husband has also been supportive which has meant so much. It is my in-laws that I was worried about telling. I finally told them once I got my surgery date. My father in law is a doctor. Today my husband told me he had asked him if I had tried a really strict diet or other things to lose the weight. No...in 40 years I have NEVER tried to diet! How about I've lost and gained 80 pounds more than once! I just hate so much that people think this is the easy way out. Especially people who have never battled their weight all their life. I have told my principal I am having surgery, but don't want to say what kind to avoid idiot comments... :)

I have thought about this surgery for years, but just wasn't ready to do it until this year. I had the humiliating experience last summer of being forced to get off a ride at Universal Studios when the bar wouldn't come down over my chest (after waiting in line for 2 hours!) I'm also a science lab teacher, and just don't have the energy to keep up and do all I want to do with my students. I am so excited to start this new life! Let me just say I HATE exercise, but I have actually been dreaming about going to the gym, and I'm excited about it!

I just want to say I appreciate all of the advice and encouragement I read on this site, and will visit here often to stay motivated. Good luck to all of you on here! I hope we can all share our ups and downs along the way!

And by the way, this liquid diet is not fun! I am soooo hungry! I know...it will get better, but I really hope it goes quickly! :)

Jen

Edited by jlj1110

Jen,

I too am a teacher and I am so happy for you! I am going into my first year of teaching and I can not imagine having no energy to deal with my students! I commend you for sticking to your pre op liquid diet! I am sending you lots of light and positivity for you upcoming surgery date! I am four days post op and still feeling a Bit down but just remember everyday gets better !

Lizz

@@BandedSister_Lizz thank you so much! To be honest, I had a slip up yesterday and ate some bread. I plan on being really good now for the next 8 days!

Good luck with your first year of teaching! I am starting my 17th year...wow, feeling old! :)

Please let me know anything you think might be helpful since you have had your surgery! I'm getting a little nervous!

@@jlj1110

Get the gas ex strips they honestly were a saving grace for me. Yes surgery is something you are obviously going to bd nervous about but honestly within a week you will feel at about 60% for having had surgery that's pretty darn good! Also make sure you stay very hydrated the night before surgery it will help you fir recovery. My sister has her band and she gave me that advice and age was so right ! I am new to this but if you have any other questions plz don't hesitate to ask me!

Lizz

I had the humiliating experience last summer of being forced to get off a ride at Universal Studios when the bar wouldn't come down over my chest (after waiting in line for 2 hours!)

You too?? I'm a 42H. The lap bar fit just fine .. no issues. But the shoulder harness just would NOT close. I tried EVERYTHING to get it to close. The jerkfaced kid checking the restraints told me "You should have tried the seat at the gate before getting in line". I asked him WHERE it was because I didn't see it at all, and he got really snotty and said "Well, then you weren't looking. There are several all over the place and one at the entrance." Of course I responded with "No, I wasn't looking for something that I didn't know EXISTED. I've never been here before, and you DON'T get to talk to me like that. I can't help it that my tits are too big for the restraints, but YOU can most certainly help your ATTITUDE."

Of course, my friends stayed on the ride while I skulked away and pouted. The damned things NEVER seem to get smaller when I loose weight. I just never knew that they'd be THAT much of an issue. Needless to say, I've not tried getting on any roller coasters outside of Disney again. Which reminds me. I've never had issues with the restraints at Walt Disney World. Just as an FYI.

@@CherieRyde The sad thing is I HAD tried the seat at the beginning of the line and it worked for me! I totally agree...Disney is the way to go. I have never had trouble on their rides. Of course I told my husband that once I have lost the weight we have to go back to Universal so I can ride that stupid Harry Potter ride! :)

@BandedSister_Lizz. Thanks for the tips! I will definitely be using you for more advice!

@jlj110 I'm waiting until I loose my weight before we even TRY any of the Harry Potter stuff. We are planning our next Disney trip for sometime in 2016, and I'm SURE that I'll be ready for ALL things FL by that time. I may even pack my bikini and show off all of my Mommy Stripes! :D

I think it'd be all kinds of fun to have a Banders' Day at Disney one year. :D

I'm scheduled for my first consult this Wednesday ( August 20th), and it can't come quick enough. I'm so excited, I really hope things go well. My BMI is 39 and they've already been told that my insurance doesn't require the 6 months of nutrition consults etc, which is a plus! They estimate it will probably be a month before it can have the surgery if I am approved.

I haven't shared my desire to have the surgery with anyone other than my husband and my best friend. After recently gaining the support if my husband (he had to be educated), I informed my brother of my decision and I was taken back by how supportive he was and he offered to help me work out when my husband is unable to do so. So far, things keep getting better and better! I've decided not to tell my mother until after I've been approved and have a surgery date. I fear telling her because she doesn't agree with it and has voiced being against it when I've mentioned it in the past. Suggestions anyone?

I agree it's not the easy way Out! I had my surgery this pAst Thursday and laughed a little this morning as I remembered hOw my old boss used tO say "getting a lapBand is taking the easy way out" if only she could see how horrible this has been! And the fact I can't eat like I used to ever again! Lol I was thinking right when I woke up from surgery, why didn't I just find some other way to do this? Cause it hurt so bad! But I'm finally feeling better! Thank God!

@@doingitforme I struggled with telling my in-laws, but I shared a lot of what I had learned about the surgery with them to try to explain why I was doing it. They still don't really get it, but I'm just hoping they see how well I am doing after the surgery, and change their mind! Of course they have never struggled with weight before! :\

Edited by jlj1110

@@planningband07 I hope you're feeling much better! What kind of pain have you been experiencing? I'm really excited about the possibility of having surgery. I just keeps goals in mind to prevent anyone from discouraging me. People are so quick to call it the easy way out, but they don't feel how we feel or have any similarities. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

"jlj1110 I hope they gain a little more understanding. My husband was a little reluctant to approve/support my decision until I educated him. While I don't value the opinion of my in-laws, the support if my husband and immediate family is the most important. So I understand how having your Inlaws support would be so important.

Is there anyone who has been/is concerned with losing too much weight?!?