Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So today I had a meeting with my surgeon Dr. Lusco. He was so motivating and excellent at helping me sort through my concerns. I am now going to be on a 6 month waiting period that is required by my employer before insurance is allowed to cover my procedure. I am now going to go through 6 months of meeting with a dietitian and a nurse to allow them to decide if I'm ready or not. I have spent the last 2 years researching the Lap Band. I know I'm ready, and now I just have to get through this road block set in my way. I will do this. :D

@@asheyrae you have a very positive outlook and attitude about it and that's a big help in getting past any road block! Best of luck to you, I bet you will do great!

Good luck!! :D

Thanks so much for your words of encouragement ladies! Any advice you can offer to the newbie? I am just soaking it all in. I have researched a lot over the last 2 years, but always looking for tips from those who have been where I am.

BTW.... Can anyone tell me how to tag other people in posts I make, or replies...?

I'm still a newbie myself, but I'm happy to help anytime you have questions about experiences. :D

Good luck! I am in the 4 month pre op medically supervised weight loss period as well. I should be done this month but aren't being banded until November probably because I have a pre planned vacation out of the country and am worried to be out of the country so close to my surgery date. Are you worried about getting approved? Are you on my fitness pal?

@@briefs199 I am really not worried about getting approved. After talking with my Dr. I felt a lot more reassured in the decision I have made. I knew their would be hoops. I had my first call yesterday 8/5/14 with the insurance company and the program they put everyone through from my company is obviously scripted. The information she said she was going to send me was just general and nothing was tailored to me or my plan. With it being so general I really feel it is just an endurance thing to make sure I'm dedicated to the cause.

I am also a world traveler. I hope you have a wonderful time on your trip! I am on my fitness pal, but stopped using it for now as I think in the near future that will be one of the suggestions from my insurance counselor. My ID on there is Asheyrae83.

Hey Ashey!

I just had surgery yesterday so I can't offer any veteran advice but I still do remember the pre surgery process. I too had to do nutrition counseling for 6 months what I want to tell you is PLEASE DO NOT GET DISCOURAGED DURING THIS TIME! I remember being told 6 months and being so upset that I had to walk around with this body. The thing is your nutritionist will give you so much information during this time that you can use for your future success. For the first two months I did not take nutrition counseling serious but once I began to take in the information I even lost weight! Take these 6 months as the perfect information session for your big day :).

Good luck!

Lizz

@@BandedSister_Lizz Congrats on making your way to your surgery date! Here is to wishing you a speedy recovery! I welcome any tips and advice. I have read up a lot on the band, but I really like to hear what actual recipients have to say. I have not talked with the nutritionist from my surgeon's office yet, but I look forward to hearing what she has to say. Thanks so much for the words of advice and I'm looking forward to being in your place sooner than I know it. :)

Hello everyone. I recently decided to embark on a new journey in my life. After numerous diets, personal trainers, and gym memberships with little to no results, I've decided to pursue getting Banded. I have a consult with the surgeon on August 20th and I'm excited. I have already provided them with my insurance information and they informed me there is no waiting period (my previous insurance required 6 months of meeting with a dr and nutritionist). I can have the procedure done in as little as a month. I'm excited, but it's bittersweet because my husband thinks I'm taking the easy way out and does not agree with me having an "unnecessary surgery!"

@@doingitforme29 I hope everything goes well for you at your appointment. I know for me getting the lap band is not a decision I have taken lightly. I have done a lot of research on it in the past 2 years and I know this is what I want to do for me. Like you I have been unsuccessful with my weight loss for many years, I have been overweight since childhood and I can remember being always being the largest one in the class. Now is the time for me to finally get a tool that can help me get my weight under control and help prevent me from getting some of the conditions I an genetically predisposed to like high blood pressure, and diabetes. You can do this and I know your husband is wrong. This is not the easy way out. This is something that will be a tool for you to finally shed the weight and it will make a huge difference for you with a lifetime commitment to change!

Thank you so much for the encouraging words. Over the years, especially within the past three, I've gained a significant amount of weight and the other day I just decided that I was done being miserable and unhappy with the reflection in the mirror. I also am genetically predisposed for high blood pressure, diabetes, and heart conditions. Since I've gained weight, I can definitely feel the impact it has had on my health, which also prompted my decision. After having one of many discussions with my husband, he finally said "I support you" which made me feel better. He was primarily concerned with possible complications, losing "too much" weight, and if it would affect our ability To conceive in the near future. I encouraged him to some research to ease his concerns. I finally can feel excited about it now that I have his support.

@@doingitforme29 We are all in this journey to a better way of life together and anytime I'm glad to offer support and encouragement. Sometimes a smile or a hand can really make someone's day! I'm so glad to hear that your husband is coming around, it will be great to have his support and I think more than anything any reservations he had were just out of fear and a lack of knowledge in WLS itself and the associated risks of the procedure vs. the lifetime risks of remaining overweight. I am a nurse by trade and just to let you know you can reassure his fear of you all being able to conceive with just a little bit of research. With weight loss it is actually easier to conceive and there are less associated risks with pregnancy. Here is a link to one of my favorite "you tubers"

the video I linked to is actually her with her lap band after having a baby. She offer some great insight and inspiration.

Hello everyone. I recently decided to embark on a new journey in my life. After numerous diets, personal trainers, and gym memberships with little to no results, I've decided to pursue getting Banded. I have a consult with the surgeon on August 20th and I'm excited. I have already provided them with my insurance information and they informed me there is no waiting period (my previous insurance required 6 months of meeting with a dr and nutritionist). I can have the procedure done in as little as a month. I'm excited, but it's bittersweet because my husband thinks I'm taking the easy way out and does not agree with me having an "unnecessary surgery!"

I really hope that things go well for you in your journey. We are here to support you as you go through it.

That being said ... please do me a favor. Explain to your so supportive husband that this is NOT the easy way. There's nothing easy about being on a liquid diet for 2 weeks pre-op while you are still cooking regular food for your family. There's nothing easy about making the decision to permanently alter your lifestyle for the sake of your health. There's nothing easy about laying in the bed waiting for time to go into the OR. There's nothing easy about dealing with the post-op pain with only tylenol to dull it a little. There's nothing easy about having to rely on someone else to do EVERYTHING for you (including driving) for 2 weeks while you recover. There's nothing easy about finding a way to still be able to eat with your family when they want things that are NOT on your diet. There's nothing easy about making yourself stick to the exercise plan when you are so tired/sore/brain dead that all you want to do is go to sleep. This is NOT any easier than any other diet. The band is a tool like weights or a treadmill. Nothing more.