Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just curious, but what's up with the not driving for a week? I was never told that with this surgery. I was told to not drive for 10 days after my neck fusion surgery, but that was beacuse I couldn't twist my head safely to look behind me.

I'm not sure. When I asked I was told you just had surgery. No driving for one week.

I'm not sure. When I asked I was told you just had surgery. No driving for one week.

I figured if I could walk a block I could drive 3 blocks. I think they worry if you are on pain meds. I am not one to follow rules that make no sense to me. Plus I was bored. I think we can all pretty much judge our bodies. I see some people take 3 weeks off work and some take two days. I am glad I was in and out of the hospital really fast and did not catch any bugs, personally.

I would recommend being with someone for at least the first 3-4 days... In my personal experience, I was in extreme pain, and it wasn't from the lacerations or the actual stomach...

I had joint and muscle pain that was so bad I couldn't make it to the bathroom on my own. I couldn't dress myself because I couldn't lift my arms. I couldn't bend over to pull up my pants. I couldn't get off the couch or the bed. Now, I'm young, and have always been strong and very tolerant of pain. I'm lucky in that aspect... But even that didn't help me in the first few days. If I sat down, there was no way in hell I'd be getting up without help.

So I really think you should be with someone those first few days, just in case. I didn't think I'd need anyone, but my mom insisted on staying with me, and I am more than thankful she did.

It's fun to read the variety of responses, and this gives you a taste of the variety of the group's experience. I was in the hospital 2 nights and took advantage of the pain meds the hospital offered. Once home, I took Baby Tylenol on occasion, but no narcotics. My sister spent one night at my house, but I was able to get around and didn't need her at that point, but truly enjoyed her company. I started at 270 with no complications so I had it easy. Your starting point and how active you are in advance of your surgery will also determine how well you can get around just after surgery. Walking a dog will be great for you, but expect to get tired quickly. I had about a week of nap attacks. I'd be fine then out of nowhere, I'd need to lay down to nap.

It's a wild ride, welcome to the club!!!!

Although your dr. says you can, doesn't mean you should! I was lucky enough to be able to go to my sister's, and I am so thankful! And by the way, she let me bring my dog! Please consider going to one of their homes of having them come to you. You will not regret it! Also, I had my surgery on a Tuesday (day surgery) and stayed until Sunday, and I sure missed her the first couple of days back home (-;

I dont recommend driving home, but you can handle this alone once home. I didnt drive until day three, but could have made short distances. Make sure to have a selection on broths and other Clear Liquids stocked up.

I been doing everything in my own it sucks but I am use to it . Been like that for years .

Hi there. I really think you need to invite someone to stay with you or forgo the comforts of your own home and stay with someone else. We are all on blood thinners after and anything could happen. Additionally, bending over with fresh incisions to feed or even leash your dog could prove to be too big of a chore. Please be safe rather than sorry.

@@3in1wOL I live alone with a large dog and three cats and had no problems taking care of myself after surgery. In fact I was glad to be alone and not have to worry about entertaining other people or taking care of them. I was able to take my dog for progressively longer walks without any issues. Do be aware of how much your dog weighs and whether you will be allowed to lift him/her after surgery, assuming that is something you ordinarily do. Good luck!

Wow...what a wide variety of opinions and experiences. I am going to go it alone, but have set up friends, and cousins who live in the area (my sisters live an hour or more away depending on traffic), as well as a couple neighbors, as back up. If I have problems or complications of any sort one of my sisters will come to tend to me or take me to her house. Will let you know how it all turns out.,. Thank you for the input.

Wow...what a wide variety of opinions and experiences. I am going to go it alone, but have set up friends, and cousins who live in the area (my sisters live an hour or more away depending on traffic), as well as a couple neighbors, as back up. If I have problems or complications of any sort one of my sisters will come to tend to me or take me to her house. Will let you know how it all turns out.,. Thank you for the input.

I wish you all the luck in the world on your new journey! Congratulations on your decision!

As you can see, there is a wide variety of responses. Me, I live alone and am used to fending for myself. Truth to tell, I don't want anyone around post op for fear of being cranky and biting their heads off. You may be best served if you thank your sisters, and tell them that you will text them regularly with updates (or call) and ask them if they'll be on stand by in case you need help?

They just want to help...give them things to do, in a constructed manner. Ask one to come over and walk the dog for the first few days maybe?

There was another thread on this. I was alone and absolutely fine (did have ride home from hospital). I hurt, but I didn't need anyone. I will say I didn't have a dog that required activity or anything. I was mostly in bed. I have not read all of the responses, but I can speak for myself, I was fine. I guess every body (literally body) is different b/c I read of people taking off a lot of time and I would have been bored out of my mind. The first week sucked but after that, it was more than manageable. Being independent got me moving and feeling normal again.

Being single with no relatives living anywhere nearby, I traveled out of the country alone for surgery last month, and I've been alone at home since returning. I don't know what anybody could have done for me that I've been unable to do for myself? But everyone's experience may be different, of course... Best of luck to you!

Hi there, so glad to hear you were ok alone. My mom is insisting on coming to stay with me, but I'm a little worried because she has health issues of her own so I don't know how much she can help me, much as I appreciate her offer. Hopefully I'll be mostly ok so she doesn't have to do too much!