Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone else saying...

So does that mean I shouldn't start drinking them early. :)

I know that so many plans vary in so many ways. I have been on "liquid only" (Protein shake, broth, Water, Jello, ice pops) since July 10 (2 weeks pre-op and 2 weeks post-op) and will remain so until Aug 5.

I have to honestly say, I'm feeling as if I'm going slightly mad. I'm very hungry, the shake (I can only get down 4 ounces) doesn't satisfy me for more than 30-60 minutes before I'm hungry again, and for the last 2 nights, I couldn't sleep because I was so hungry.

I'm sure I'm not alone, and as everyone and their great-granddaddy keeps telling me, "it's only a few more days", but I'm seriously on edge and I can't take much more. Even the smell of my shake makes me feel like I wanna hurl, and the taste is now leaving a chalky residue in my mouth and I feel like I have to brush my teeth and tongue after I drink one.

This is pure torture - at least, for me it is.

I was just telling my husband this same thing last night! I started the liquid diet July 1, had surgery the 11th and have to do 4 stinkin weeks of a liquid diet. One more week to go! But last night even trying to drink the shake made me gag! So over it!

Did your doc tell you why you have to do 4 weeks liquid post-op?

I see my surgeon on the 5th, and that is when he SHOULD clear me to move to purée. I guess it's not a given that he will if he suspects any issues with my pouch healing - although I don't know how he'd know this unless I actually try to eat something and it doesn't agree.

I feel like I want to go to sleep and just stay that way until Tues morning. No feeling hungry, no more nasty shakes, no more cotton mouth.

I'm so over it.

I seriously hope all this negativity I'm feeling goes away. I've had my parents and my sister call to see how I am feeling, and I've been nothing short of curt and irritable with them.

And the way I've been treating hubby - who is so so so so SOOOOO supportive - it's a wonder he hasn't walked out on me.

Well shoot I just realized I posted under GBP and I had the lap band done. I am still sick of the shakes though :)

He said its to make sure everything isn't swollen and then I have to do 4 weeks of puree too.

Thank goodness for supportive husbands!

Ladies, I can't begin to explain how many times I've read comments about the liquid diet - and they-re never good! However, your new pouch will appreciate it when you can get the liquids down as it's not ready - at least for 3-4 weeks - to take on digesting solid foods. Before my gastric bypass on 6/18, I had been on liquids for 2 weeks to help shrink the liver and stomach prior to surgery. I did wonderfully with the Atkins RTD Advantage Protein shakes, broth and SF popsicles. But, once I had the surgery, I could not stand the taste of the shakes in ANY flavor! Of course, I had purchased 12 packs of various flavors but none of them worked. So, I called my dietician and asked if I could make my own "homemade" Soup. She said "yes" - and here's my recipe.

1 Family size can of Campbell's condensed cream of chicken soup

1 can of Water (or skim or 1% milk if it can be tolerated)

1 package of powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury unflavored Protein powder

Mix Soup and Water or milk together and heat on stove top or in microwave until warm. Add unflavored Protein Powder. Blend well with whisk so powder is completely blended with liquid. Serve in 1/2 C. servings or whatever measurement that can be tolerated by pouch. (Once Protein powder is added to soup, do NOT heat about 140 degrees as it will change the protein.)

When I was able to move to the soft foods/mushy stage, I would make the soup, pour 1/2 C. into bowl and add 2 oz. of chicken and 1/4 C. soft cooked carrots to each serving. It was heaven! (When I ran short of chicken breasts that I had cooked in the crockpot, I used a can of chicken from Walmart and it was tasty but a little salty.)

Also, I immediately got online and ordered the Jay Robb strawberry whey isolate protein powder and started drinking it with milk once it arrived. I drank it in liquid form and would eat it semi-frozen - yum!

Hopefully, this will help get you over the "hump" of the liquid days. Get ready because REAL food is going to taste SO good! Good luck! ~Vicki

Thankfully I still love my Protein shakes.

Granted, I've only been drinking them daily for just over a year now, but I still prefer them over many other meal options.

I love my Protein shakes!!!! Without those guys I wouldn't get all my protein in a day. Can't wait for my PB2 to come in so I can spruce them up.

I still haven't found one shake I like. I just choke them down so I get my Protein. I might try the samples from vita lady I've heard so much about. Just to see if there's even one I might like. I can't stand the Peanut Butter flavored stuff. Does PB2 actually taste like peanut butter? I'm probably going to order some Unjury, I've heard some recipes that sound good (like above). I'm determined to get the daily recommended amount of protein. I work so much and have 2 small kids, the shakes and drinks are the best way to keep me on track.