Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I haven't had my surgery yet it got push back to August 20th which im not happy about, but I want to know how long did anyone wait before adding fruit to their Protein Shakes? My nutritionist told me to wait about 2 to 3 weeks after surgery not sure why that is, but I love my shakes with fruit.

Dont add fruit until they tell you that it is ok. It might be too acidic. Though I do have to say that I did use pineapple juice in some things to make them taste better, but just a little bit. My stomach actually didn't handle other fruits right away and sometimes still don't and I am 6 months out. Just follow what they tell you and you will be fine.

S

I waited until I was on stage 4 foods.

It all depends...I am not big on adding fruits in my shakes cause for me the Protein shakes are sweet enough. Also what you want to be careful of is the sugar in the fruit. You dont want to add a lot of sugar cause its carbs and that can slow down the weight loss. So my best advice would be to try to stay away from fruit at least early on. I do eat blueberries and cherries time to time. I barely eat apples or oranges (they are hard to digest and I am 4 months out), I do eat bananas once in a while and at times I might add them to my shake to add more flavor. pineapple, grapes, mango and even bananas are high in sugar. Here are some interesting articles that tell you more about fruits...

http://www.shape.com/healthy-eating/diet-tips/sugar-wise-how-fruit-stacks

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/07/31/making-the-case-for-eating-fruit/?_php=true&_type=blogs&_r=0

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/whattoeat/a/whatfruit.htm

Thanks for you guys advice, I usually use strawberries or blueberries in my shakes sometimes bananas, but im going to take my nutritionist advice and do everything by the book

You need to be careful with fruit and strawberries in particular following surgery. They were on my 'do not eat list' for the first three months due to the skins and seeds. I was told not to eat any fruit with seeds or skins - no grapes (unless pealed), no cherries - even in yogurt, and my clinic was emphatic about no strawberries due to the seeds. I did eat blueberries but for those first months stuck primarily to canned fruit and applesauce.

Carol

I'm also pre-op, but was looking at my patient manual that I got at my last visit at the clinic. I won't get fruit until after my 3 month post-op appointment. :(

I know about the seeds my nutritionist told me that too I was just asking everyones opinion

They explained it pretty good in my pre-surgery classes. Apparently berries are the worst as those little tiny seeds can easily get stuck as our pouches are healing. They sit in by the stitches and rot until things are infected and eventually surgery may be necessary again.

As for me, the only fruit I've even tried since my surgery 5 months ago is a Tomato (and I still make sure to remove the seeds).

Other than that, I've avoided all other fruits due to the sugars, as I want to avoid anything that may slow my progress.

I have lots of fruit in my diet. I have a fruit and green smoothie every morning for Breakfast. I put banana, strawberries, spinach, and Chia seeds. I'm a year and a half out though. I waited quite awhile before trying anything with seeds.

I tried Fiber supplements, salads for lunch, etc. This has been by far the most help with boosting my Fiber intake and helping with 'problems', if you know what I mean.

Edited by pookybear

I can have soft fruit as long as it is peeled, but I am only allowed to have it after Protein has consumed and I have room.