Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Trying once again - this time a must not an option

I decided in the beginning of January 2014 that I needed help to lose weight. My father had died around Thanksgiving in 2013 and when doing the funeral arrangements for my dad, my former student was there to help us during this difficult time - there was one thing that really stood out - she had gone through a total transformation and inspired me to finally do something for myself. I jumped through all the hoops and attended all the classes and I was scheduled to have my surgery in April 2014. They called me a cheerleader going into surgery because I was so hyped on transforming myself into someone I could actually like once more.

When I woke up from surgery I asked how it went and the nurse shook her head and tears were in my husband's eyes, The surgeon discovered I had a liver disease and could have easily bled out if he continued. It is hard to describe all the emotions I was experiencing at that time and the roller coaster ride continued. I have stage 3 liver disease caused by auto-immune hepatitis. It is supposedly genetic and often not caught until it is too late. Most people have fat in their liver - my immune system does not like the fat in my liver and is continually attacking it therefore the damage continues. If I get to a point that I need a liver transplant, I am not eligible because of my weight. My surgeon is willing to try the gastric bypass surgery once more but it means sooner than later. I run the risk of needing blood transfusions because the condition of my liver.

I am scared and frightened and not the cheerleader I was going in the first time. My surgery is set for August 13th unless they can do it sooner - I am on the list if someone cancels. I cry often and focusing on work is difficult - the possible complications are constantly on my mind. I think I will be that cheerleader once more but I need to hear you came through surgery fine and I am able to start donating clothes to Goodwill.

I am so sorry but what a blessing this was discovered now before progressing! I admit I don't know anything about your condition but I feel the "fight", I believe you will make it through this challenge.

I agree. I am so sorry you have to go through this but how fortunate for you that your disease was discovered before it is too late. Saying a prayer for you.

So sorry to hear this. I will keep u in my prayers.

I am sorry to hear this. Sending good thoughts and and lots of prayers!

I have fatty liver and during surgery my surgeon discovered it was way worse than he thought, likely not too far off from advancing to a fibrotic stage...i know it's not the same but I can relate to your fear and determination to do this!

please remember to post the day before about your surgery to remind us all, so we can send up extra prayers for you! good luck!

What a bummer. And what a miracle, too.

We're all rooting for you. And yes, please let us know when your next surgery is going to happen so we can send you our prayers, positive thoughts, and very best wishes for your successful surgery and a great outcome.

Very best!

Ann

Edited by VSGAnn2014