Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Do You Do When a Craving Hits?

What Do You Do When a Craving Hits?  

89 members have voted

1. 1. Everyone has a craving sometime. It might be for pizza, ice cream, tacos, pasta, or any of the other foods that you used to eat – or overeat – before weight loss surgery. What do you do when a craving hits?

• Wait until it passes, even if it’s a few days.
    • Wait a day, and then give in if the craving is still there.
    • Make a healthy substitute, such as sugar-free hot chocolate instead of brownies or light popcorn as a salty, crunchy substitute for potato chips.
    • Have a bit or two of the real thing, since that is the only thing that will satisfy you.
    • Give in. Enjoy your treat, and worry about the consequences tomorrow.

To make weight loss surgery a long time success story, we have to learn to eat right. The surgery helps with quantity, but we have to help ourselves with QUALITY. That being said, if you're eating healthy, quality foods for each of your meals, I don't see anything wrong with indulging every once in a while (I do it once a week) in foods that are not of quality, but just taste darn good. I eat right, I do cardio 5 days out of the week, I lift weights 4 days out if the week, and I do not feel guilty about my once a week indulgences (or outings where there are no healthy options) because I do everything right 99% of the time. And when I do give in it's in small, controlled quantities.

I actually have a bite or three.

I know that I am not conventional on this site or forum. But for me..it will not subside until I hit it with the real thing. i follow my nuts advise: I live in the real world and eat real food. Mostly I eat clean and that is much better then I ever have in my life. I mostly see everything as a part of my program. Maybe chocolate is questionable. I can't eat like I used to and most of the time I eat by the clock.

Anyone that has been at this for a while and says that they don't have a treat now and then is let's say...not telling the truth! lol

But if it is pop corn or cheese cake, they win a lot!

Okay no picking on me..That is how I feel about it!!!!!!!!!! :)

The answer really to all this is that it depends on the person. Some people can take a small amount some can't.

The bigger issue comes in with weight regain. Can you get back on track? I think that is what people need to think about. Look at the lessons learned from those who gain back the weight: what gets them to do that? What are the contributing factors?

Each of us has different levels of tolerance.

I eat a little bit of whatever I'm craving and call it a day. If I try to eat around something (say a cookie), I will eat a 1/2 an apple (40 cals). When that didn't work, I'll eat a cup of sf choc pudding (60 cals). When that doesn't work, I'll eat a Protein bar( 120 cals). By the time I'm done trying to quench my craving with stuff I DON"T want, I coulda eaten 3-4 Cookies.

So I'll eat one and avoid the extra food and calories.

Works for me.

I guess I'm lucky in that I have very few unhealthy cravings (except chocolate at that time of the month...but that craving can be quelled with a Protein shake since anything with sugar in it makes me quite ill). My biggest craving to date has been wanting a banana...and since I did a lot of exercise, that was one craving I gave in to (with a tsp of Peanut Butter on it, because my NUT said always have Protein if I'm going to have a piece of fruit like that)

I guess it's really not that much of a craving if it's one of the approved foods.

The answer really to all this is that it depends on the person. Some people can take a small amount some can't.

The bigger issue comes in with weight regain. Can you get back on track? I think that is what people need to think about. Look at the lessons learned from those who gain back the weight: what gets them to do that? What are the contributing factors?

Each of us has different levels of tolerance.

These are all very good points. It's easy to sneak a treat in here and there. Pretty soon here and there becomes a little more often. The regain sneaks up and gets waaaayyyyy harder to lose, when you're farther out from surgery. If I splurge all weekend, I can easily gain 5 lbs . Those 5 lbs can take me 4 weeks to lose again.

I have kept to the diet described in my Surgery Bible. I do not eat anything that my nutritionist says is objectionable. I know me. If I start binging on foods that are sorta on the list of bad things. I will explode! I know of 1 person that lives in my building that had the same surgery. He lost some weight. But started eating all the same FAT and SUGAR stuff he ate before.

That is not for me! I have a long journey before I am through. I will not eat pizza. I will not eat Junk food. I am a food ADDICT. If I start down that road, The Gremlins in my head will tell me SURE IT IS OK. Eat what you want. Your tummy is all shrunk up. No problem.

BULLCRAP! I have to not give in to my cravings. now Addictions. I have been Sober from Alcohol for over 24 years. I had just switched Addictions from Alcohol to Food. I had to learn how not to drink 1 day at a time. I am learning how not to Eat as an Addict.

This to me is a WAR that I aim to win! 1 meal at a time!

@@Oregondaisy I have also found that one occasional treat can easily become more frequent, and eventually work it's way into being common place. I can also gain 5 pounds in a weekend - and that's from eating around 2000 calories a day. It's mind boggling to me how fast I can pack on pounds! A year and a half later, I think that was my biggest lesson from having a sleeve - that I can consume a lot of calories without realizing it, and those calories are far more dangerous to me than to the average human. I bet that just like everything, that 3500 calories= 1 pound is an average and unique for the individual. For me, I bet 2000 calories = 1.5 pounds! So, if I have a weekend splurge that starts on Friday night, there is my 5 pounds. That's why I learned to put off eating something I think I want. It often works to avoid consuming additional calories I don't need.

Edited by MichiganChic

For the first time since I started this journey I am like most others at this stage. I can gain a few lbs. over a weekend of thoughtless eating...( not totally planned )

I have a 5 lb limit and now I weigh myself every Sunday and if the scale reaches its mark I am back to the grind and love it, just as much as I love all parts of this journey. It goes with the program I think.

Sometimes I am slack but just up to 5 lbs no more...Then I am back in full force......I am so happy I have reached this stage like others who have traveled before me. I now have a better idea of how it is supposed to be.

I love it that I am here.....And I will fight the fight for the rest of my life..5 lbs. at a time.......up and down!!!!!!! :)

I chose have a bite or two. I don't really crave like I did before. But if I'm out in a restaurant and want a cocktail I have one. Just one. If I want popcorn at the movies I get it. But that's not as satisfying as it used to be. Movie popcorn has been lousy for years. Rethinking that one now. As for "off plan" eating, I try to stay between 800-1000 calories a day. When I go over 1000 I don't lose weight. I'm only halfway to my goal so I want to see a loss each week. I do not beat myself up about food choices, but I'm realistic and know that what I eat translates to the scale. So I have to be vigilant if I want to lose weight. That said, I don't really choose low calorie foods. I just watch my daily total. I naturally like meats, so Protein first is easy for me.

I know that I am not conventional on this site or forum. But for me..it will not subside until I hit it with the real thing. i follow my nuts advise: I live in the real world and eat real food. Mostly I eat clean and that is much better then I ever have in my life. I mostly see everything as a part of my program. Maybe chocolate is questionable. I can't eat like I used to and most of the time I eat by the clock.

Anyone that has been at this for a while and says that they don't have a treat now and then is let's say...not telling the truth! lol

For the first year I was an 'eat by the book' RNYer. Around one year I started getting lax, testing my dietary boundaries, resulting in my first dumping experiences. So I'm back to following the rules religiously. I'm thankful for the dumping experiences nipping my bad choices in the bud. In my past bad food choices snowball into disaster very quickly.

Each one of us has to make choices based on their own weaknesses, strengths, needs, and lifestyles. I am a person who needs very strict rules to keep me on track. It works for me but may not be good for someone else. We all need to find our own way to eat that helps us to be successful long term. :-)

I have lost 70 pounds. I have 160 pounds my goal of 210 pounds.

I also go to Overeaters Anonymous. I have a food plan and I do not waiver from it.

Maybe because I am a newbie. Or maybe because I know my limitations. No Junk Food!

For the first year I was an 'eat by the book' RNYer. Around one year I started getting lax, testing my dietary boundaries, resulting in my first dumping experiences. So I'm back to following the rules religiously. I'm thankful for the dumping experiences nipping my bad choices in the bud. In my past bad food choices snowball into disaster very quickly.

Each one of us has to make choices based on their own weaknesses, strengths, needs, and lifestyles. I am a person who needs very strict rules to keep me on track. It works for me but may not be good for someone else. We all need to find our own way to eat that helps us to be successful long term. :-)

No way am I saying that it is alright to chow down on junk food at all. But I am human and I know that for those who are just starting out it is a great idea to follow the yellow brick road and work that honeymoon period for all it's worth. Take advantage of the tool to lose lbs. and change your brain (thinking) for the better....Solve the issues..Make plans to do whatever it takes to not go backwards when trouble begins......hard times happen and sadness takes over.

However and I say this because it is how I feel. If I can't learn to eat in the real world when I am faced with real food. Then I failed at retraining my brain to see food as nutrition and not a form of comfort.

Like I said before if someone says they never cheat...Well if they haven't they will. And if they have been at this a long time they have cheated..In the terms that is mentioned in this thread. One cookie, not the box full!

I don't see Pasta as cheating or potatoes, rice or real butter. pizza is one of my personal pet peeves on here....It is not the devil. We are the problem and therefore have to learn to change how we deal with stress or whatever it was that got us here.

Going overboard in anything is never good. And I mean anything........Moderation and balance are the key to success. Trust me we all know when we are over shooting the mark of moderation!

And when you do hit goal we seriously need to are watchful. Having a plan in place for when it is your going up five lbs.. To be able to lose it again....Ever watchful..But not fanatical...Otherwise we set ourselves up again to do what we did before whenever we started a failed diet. Deny ourselves everything until we feel like we can't take it anymore. And little by little go back to our old ways......

Edited by RJ'S/beginning

Well I picked "healthy substitute" because that is my most frequent choice, but like many other long term sleevers at goal, I use most of the options occasionally:

Wait until it passes, even if it’s a few days.
I most often choose this option when I'm not at goal.
Wait a day, and then give in if the craving is still there.
I don't really use this option.
Make a healthy substitute.
Tips below!
Have a bit or two of the real thing.
If I can't resist, I use this option when not at goal.
Give in. Enjoy your treat.
Ah, life at goal! But if I've been craving a lot of crap, I might still choose Make a healthy substitute to head off weight gain.
Healthy Substitutes:
Sweet:
  • Greek yogurt with a tablespoon of whipped cream cheese, sweetened with splenda, topped with splenda sweetened blueberries and a crushed graham cracker
  • Winter time: Hot Sleepytime tea or Christmas Tea with Splenda
  • Summer time: Lipton Diet Green Tea with Citrus
  • Sweetened Cereal, such as chocolate Krave (measured portion using food scale)
  • Fruit, such as Watermelon in summer, orange slices in winter (measured by container size)
Crunchy:
  • Pretzels or cheezit crackers instead of chips or cheetos (measured portion using food scale)
  • Raw veggies with dip made from greek yogurt and ranch dressing mix or greek yogurt and little blue cheese.< /li>
High Calorie coffee Drinks:
  • Soy Latte with splash of sugar free caramel Syrup. In the summer, I blend with ice for a homemade frappo.
  • When ordering at Starbucks, I always get the tall instead of larger size. hot drink I get the soy latte and for frapp, I get the tall carramel frapp light, no whip.
Just hungry:
Sometimes I'm just hungry between meals. I eat a low calorie Protein, such as:
  • light cheese stick rolled in a slice of low fat lunch meat
  • tuna, blended with greek yogurt and Mayonnaise to make a pate texture, then spread on whole wheat toast cut into quarters
Deli Sandwich:
I use lowfat lunchmeats. Gallo makes a great low fat salami. I like a bland cheese, and surprisingly, Velveta cheese has less calories than most. I make a full sandwich with whole wheat bread, 4 oz. of meat and 2 oz. of cheese, then I cut in half and eat half now and half for a different meal. Right before eating, I add tomatoes and lettuce.
Fatty Italian:
I love italian grilled veggies. I use a mandolin slicer to shave ribbons of zuchhini, yellow squash, and eggplant. Then I cut yellow and red peppers and toss in some halved cherry tomatoes. I spray all olive oil and roast. Right before it's done, I toss in a few fresh basil leaves. Top with 1/4 oz. shaved Parmesan. If you don't want to oven roast, you can pan roast the veggies too.

Depends on where I am. I usually give in if their is something right in front of me. Generally I try to not bring too much junk into the house. What I don't do anymore is hop in the car and go to the store to indulge in something bad.