Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Three strikes and your out

I Was at my doctors office yesterday when I overheard the staff discussing a patient who was a no show for their revision from lap band to sleeve surgery. Oh did I mention for the THIRD time. Now who am I to judge. I can only state how I feel. Which is as we all know there is a process we must go through which takes time. I was looking forward to getting this horrible band out and back on the road to wellness. Doctors can only schedule a certain number of surgeries. That person took up a coveted spot. Now surgery is scary. I certainly wanted to bolt but by the time my date came I knew this was my chance and I was not going to miss out on my new beginning. I was more nervous having the lap band surgery. I feel this patient was not committed to the lifelong process and get out of the way of those who are ready and committed. Stop waiting everyone's time.

I don't disagree.

But those paramedical staff need to shut their yaps in front of other patients.

Just sayin'.

(What do other patients overhear them saying about YOU?)

Terribly sorry to stick my two cents in but I worked in the healthcare field for about 6 years. What you overheard about another patient was definitely wrong and yes I completely agree with you but a bigger issue is what other types of information they share among themselves and others overhear. This is something that is usually forbidden at most providers offices. I'm not so much concerned what they may say about me but what personal information of mine or anyone else's they may be leaking. Remember there are other medical conditions that some may want to keep private. #stepping down off my soapbox

Edited by blacktxbelle

It does sounds a bit unprofessional but if you don't know who they are talking about not sure how it effects that person. To not show up for surgery does seem like a pretty big deal but hey, who are we to judge their decision? They could have been in an accident or whatever.

Unless they were talking about someone identifiable I don't see a major problem.

Take it up with the surgeon at the office it happened so they can understand it made you uncomfortable.

When I had my surgery, someone who was supposed to be in the waiting "bay" next to me was a no-show. I asked the nurse how often it happens and she said, "At least once a week." I think it's more common than we know.

I used to manage a hospital cafeteria and the gossip about patients as the staff passed through our lines was just horrible. It was an issue in elevators, locker rooms, hallways,and restrooms too. HIPPA laws were just taking ground, and I was so glad. Once HR put its foot down about consequences, the situation greatly improved.

i am a former chemical dependency counselor. several years after i worked with some counselors, i was RECEIVING counseling in a therapy group for sexual abuse survivors. i saw that 2 of the male counselors i worked with were moonlighting in this clinic. i kinda freaked... i didnt feel safe because i knew how much they complained/gossiped/talked about about clients. when i expressed concern about my privacy and confidentiality, i was booted from treatment.

nice huh? women (and other "othered" groups) can be seriously treated like crap in health care. now i would make a complaint to their supervising agency. back then i was too young and too shocked to do anything. you should complain. they wont stop until someone corrects them, which the supervisors cant do if they dont know whats going on.

As long as no personally identifiable information was discussed it's not an issue. i do think the person that they were talking about should have had the courtesy to call and cancel if they were able to so that surgery slot could have been filled with someone who actually wanted to be there.

No laws broken. I don't know sex of the patient just herd them saying a patient did not show up for the third time. That's the issue not the alleged gossip.

No crimes were committed. No names not even sex of the patient. The point of this rant wAs not to rant at the office staff but to rant at the patient who blocked three coveted surgical spots.

I was just wondering, maybe the staff thought it was a no show based on the information they had....who is to say that other factors from the surgeon, or testing done previously were not allowing for the surgery that day. Sometimes there are people who tend to speak up out of turn with no real information other them this person failed to show up....you never know if there is more to it.

Yes, unprofessional to hear these conversations, but I bet they happen often with no real malicious intent. The health professionals may have been annoyed just as you were as time was slated for them to be there too.

No crimes were committed. No names not even sex of the patient. The point of this rant wAs not to rant at the office staff but to rant at the patient who blocked three coveted surgical spots.

Mary. Although I understand and agree with you since I hated waiting an extra 4 weeks for a spot post insurance approval...

The fact is that those of us on here who work in the healthcare field are routinely educated on privacy laws, ethics law and what to say when and how and WHERE

This office committed a gross violation. The Uniidentifiable part only applies to HIPAA. They still violated the principles of the ethical relationship.

It's not acceptable.

That aside you're right. Backing out three times blocked three other committed people to this journey and they are heartbroken. They'll also be supremely angry if they'd been sitting there.

Blocked? No. Postponed? Yes. Or maybe. And those people who aren't there don't know they maybe could have gotten in earlier, so I'm not sure it's worth being indignant on their behalf. Like others have said, there is no way to know what the reasons were…if the "no show" was doctor related or person related. I am maybe an outlier in this, but I was able to schedule my own surgery within about 10 days of approval. The only reason I didn't go the same week was that I didn't have enough time for the amount of pre-op diet they specify. My guess is that they probably expect this to happen with some regularity and schedule accordingly.

As for the HIPAA stuff, agree that medical professionals need to be more circumspect. I heard things said about me and my diagnosis outside my hospital room (at an earlier surgery) that if I could hear, anyone could hear. It's not professional.

EEEEEEK! I'd be P!SSED about the lack of professionalism of the staff. As a business owner, I am very much into excellent customer service so perhaps I am a bit sensitive, but I get irritated when a cashier rolls her eyes at a customer, when a customer service desk employee mutters about the person they just got off the phone with, etc. To me, this is much worse. If they are talking badly about a patient who was a no show to such a major life changing event, what might they be saying about any other patient?

Assuming the patient didn't have an unforeseen emergency blocking them from coming, isn't it better they "chickened out" before surgery rather than physically alter their body forever when they were uncertain that this was their best decision? There are people who post on these very boards that may have been better off if they were a no show vs. where they are and what they are feeling now.