Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Newbie here and sad

I know how you feel. I am close to 300 pounds and I have lost and gained the weight many times. I have people in my family that tell me to just stop eating so much and exercise. They just don't understand. My favorite is the stick thin coworkers I have that tell me to just eat salads. You have to do what is right for you. I am trying to get my band approved. Have you gone to a seminar or lap band doctor to talk to them? I have found they are more understanding and helpful than PCP. They have seen so many success stories with the band and will support you more! Keep visiting the forum- It always cheers me up as I wait for my surgery date!

The nice thing is, once you get banded and get used to it, all those uneducated people out there don't bother you much. They're on their path and you're on yours.

My new PCP is a total:censored: .All that she said was that the weight will come right back on youif you have this procedure done.Nothing works but diet and exercise.How in the :censored: can I exercise when I have to use a cane to walk with! I am barely able to put one foot before the other.Than she says.Try nutrisystem or Jenny Craig.I cannot affford to by those meals when other people in the house has to eat too! I am working on getting another PCP.Thanks for listening.:)

TJ, others on this list are using censored words to describe your totally ignorant PCP. Your PCP needs to shut the f*&^ up and just say "I don't know, I can't advise you." Two quick stories on how the conversation should have gone: I told my PCP I was going to have WLS (that stands for Weight Loss Surgery---any type). He said "oh really, what kind?" I told him I was looking at the lap band procedure. He said "I know very little about it so I can't advise you but if you're using a doctor in Charlotte I can find out what kind of a reputation he has." He told me "God speed, I'm with you all the way. Let me know if I can help." Second story: I see an endocrenologist a couple times a year for an unrelated blood disorder. I told her I was having WLS the following month. She asked what kind. I told her the lap band. Her words were "really, I've heard about it but know absolutely nothing about it. How does it work?" As I was explaining it she said, "hold on, if you don't mind, let me get Jeanie the nurse, she's overweight and looking for options." They were both excited and wanted to know the details and doctor's name. Both of these were positive events. You need someone positive who is on your team. Your mother gets a free ride...she's jus looking out for her little girl but you need a new PCP, one with a heart made out of something warm.

Your PCP and your friends and family are ot the ones that have to struggle with the things that you deal with on a daily basis....people have to do what THEY think is best. Do whatever you have to do to make yourself feel better and screw the rest of them!! I was banded on 4/11/07 and I have NO regrets. I self paid because my insurance would not pay. But the cost of having it done is far less than a hospital bill would be after a stroke or heart attack. Good luck with your decision and I know you can do it!!!

Honey,

Your story is my story...I have tried every diet known to man...I have done diet pills, Adkins, South-Beach, weight watchers, staple in ear, you name it, I've tried it...nothing worked for me....I pray that you will find comfort here at this site...knowing that we all have been where you are, today....find yourself a new doctor..I agree with BetsyJane...find a lapband doctor, go to the seminar, and get the help you need...yes, this procedure will fail if you do not follow the plan, but it is a very valuable tool that can help you loose the weight...I had to pay cash for mine and I don't regret it at all...I would do it again in a heart beat....good luck to you and honey, come here if you need to be encouraged...this is a great bunch of caring people that understand your pain...

Di

Honey, it sounds like you need a new PCP. Mine was very supportive because he knows my wieght has been an issue since birth!

I know how you feel, I had a good friend rain all over my parade. It made me very sad because she did everything she could to bring me down. Oh well.

As far as your MD saying try Jenny Craig or Nutrisystem? That is total BS!! I've been on Jenny Craig. I lost a lot of wieght and then gained a lot more back. It's such a scam. To lose wieght and keep it off you have to keep eating their expensive food. When you stop, it all comes right back. They never really show you how to eat.

As far as your MD saying try Jenny Craig or Nutrisystem? That is total BS!! I've been on Jenny Craig. I lost a lot of wieght and then gained a lot more back. It's such a scam. To lose wieght and keep it off you have to keep eating their expensive food. When you stop, it all comes right back. They never really show you how to eat.

Doesn't it seem like WW and Nutrisystem survive on repeat business? I can't back that up with stats but it just seems as though people lose weight, stop the program, regain original weight loss plus more, and then go back again.

I swear, they only have 100 customers each, the same ones coming back time and time again. :)

Going to have LB surgery May 29, 07......Excited to get on with my new life! Just a little worried about Hair loss and how to get enough Protein in my diet.....any help would be appreciated, Jan:)

Jan...

I used to believe that hair loss was due to Protein issues. I don't believe that anymore. My labs have been perfect regarding Protein issues and I have lost a LOT of hair.< /p>

I think it is either oils or Vitamins. I'm currently trying six children's Vitamins daily. That is three adult doses. I take them throughout the day, not all at once. I'm going to see if that helps any.

If it makes a difference, Hair loss happens in bypass farrrrr more than banded people. Most banded people I know that are losing hair lost weight quickly.

We'll see if extra vitamins help any.

Hi tj,

I've felt a lot like you do. (Oh and we are the same age and height by the way lol.) I am almost two months post op now and doing very well. I have no regrets.. so far.. about my decision. I do know that some people experience complications but they are in the minority. Mostly if you follow the lapband rules you will lose weight. I'm not a medical professional but if I were you I would definitely get a second opinion right away.

Best of luck in your decision!

I too am 5'2" and my highest weight was right at presurgery-331. I'm almost 53 years young. All I can say is that the lapband is a great tool for me. I was physically unable to enjoy life being so overweight. Since Jan 29th, 2007, I've lost 45 pounds and feel great. Just like anything else, learn all you can about teh proceudre and the lifestyle of post banding, read the posts of those who continue to have success in their journey and make your decision along with a supportive medical team. You will find honest truth here,,keep coming back!

Banded 1/29/07

Dr Ken Cleveland-CMMC-Jackson, MS

331/286/150

one fill todate

Just a little worried about hair loss and how to get enough Protein in my diet.....any help would be appreciated, Jan:)

smoothie King makes a lot of fattening junk smoothies BUT they bought their Gladiator powder and made sample smoothies at our last support meeting. The stuff is pretty darn good...comes in three flavors chocolate, strawberry and vanillia. You buy a big tub of it...costs about $39. Makes many shakes but you'll need it. Blender it with some ice cubes, soy milk, banana, berries, yogurt, whatever and drink for a meal. The powder has 180 calories and a whopping 45 grams of whey Protein isolate (the absolute best and most expensive protein).

powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury makes a chicken broth with 21 grams of good protein. I buy it online. You mix it w/ warm Water (no hotter than 130 degrees...does something to the consistency but I never noticed). I put it in as the liquid in a can of Soup that I blend when I'm on liquids. It has 100 cal.

Between the Unjury and the Gladiator you will have all the protein you need for a full day. This is just a beginning, there are many other drinks/food that contain lots of protein. hair is hair. Fat is FAT!! Hair will grow back. Get after it.

Your story is so sad...and it sounds like hundreds of other stories I have read at this site...You have come to the right place...Everyone here is so supportive...You will be able to read lots of post that sounds so much like your own...We have all been where you are today....Why does your doctor not support your decision to have lapband? Does he/she, really know what the lapband is? Why does your mother not approve? If they could only read the reports of how lapband has helped so many people, maybe they would understand what a valuable tool this is...

I hope that you are able to get the band...I know how hard it is to try and do this on your own...I have tried every diet known to man...I even had staples put in my ears, I have been hypnotized, I have tried all the diet pills(even Phen-Fen)...I would lose some, but always gain it back...

Good luck to you...I hope that somehow you will be able to banded...keep coming to this site and continue to read the post...maybe, you will find a way to have this done....

Hey, I know how you feel i also have tried WW,South Beach,Adkins,Mayo clinics diet for heart patients,several different diet pills over the counter, and prescribed, the apple and Water diet,and many many more, just to lose and gain over and over again. I don't have alot of support, but

I do have some, but I am ready for a change. My pcp is very understanding, she is taking care of everything for me, and I am so glad. I think it sounds like you need a new pcp, one that is more up to date with procedures. I believe that LBS is going to change my life for the better, I'm kinda scared, but I believe this is for me, I also have type 2 diabetes, among other morbidities, and i'm 5'1" and weigh 263lbs, and i'm 34 yrs old, i am a mother of 4 children ages 17,13,14,and4 and I know if i don't do something I won't get to see the younger ones grow up, and I am determined to do everything in my power to see them grow up. Well anyway I just want to encourage you to do what is right for you, and not anyone else, and if you need support it's here for you. Good Luck!!!

Don't be sad! :) I know it's hard.. I think that you should research it...I can tell you that I've been banded for 6mos... have lost 29 lbs so far! very excited about that.. My sister had it done 2 yrs ago and has lost 102 lbs.. I have not regrets... The surgery will probably reverse your diabetes.. you should attend a seminar.. find a dr. in your area and found out where there free seminars are held? They are very informative, Also the death rate is less that 1%.. The Gastric has a 6% death rate associate to it. My mom and I were both against it when my sister decided to do it.. that was b/c we did not research it. I agree with you. The co-morbities (high blood pressure) etc.. may get the best of you first... This is a way to take control and it's laproscopic and minimally invasive.. Here is the dr. that i used and there may be some informative info for you there.. www.bandmd.com.. The best of wishes & luck to you.