Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

One week post opt...questions

I am one week from the day I underwent the VSG procedure. Most of my painful symptoms such as gas pain has gone away but I am still having difficulty, adjusting to this new lifestyle. Especially with eating, like today it seems like I am having a hard time eating and getting the Protein Shakes down. I would take a bite or a sip then there would be a girdling sensation in the upper part of my chest then down to the top of my stomach. I am getting sick of this feeling so I was wonder if anyone has had this problem, is it normal, and will it go away?

Also I am confused what my full signal is, my stomach is still sore, rumbling, and healing from the procedure so I don't know if I should follow my stomach's feeling of fullness and how long after I should eat because I never feel physically hunger but I know I must eat/ drink to fill my juice and Protein requirements. What where you full signals the first couple of weeks and how long did you eat again after those signals?

Hi, I am 12 days post op and I feel good but I understand what you mean about the stomach gurgling. I am not sure someimes if I am hungry, little gasy orjust healing. No sure if I am also having phantom hunger pains as go to eat and after two bites it goes away.

full/empty signals are seemingly very different now with the new stomach. I'm one week since surgery also. I have mostly been measuring out how much i'm going to eat to the size of my tummy/what they say: 3-4 oz of Soup or yogurt or whatever is the "meal" on this liquid diet and restrict my intake to that amount. It seems like at or before finishing this I can tell I'm "full" because it feels like the food gets left in the bottom of my esophagus because there isn't any room in the stomach.

This "full" I hope is not the way I will feel full when I get to solid food because that would be 30 times more uncomfortable.

Empty/hungry is something I'm confusing with calls to head to the bathroom which is very strange to me but there you have it. I think the stomach gurgles are hunger but they are not.

So I don't have answers for you but can at least commiserate that the signals are something to learn from a new perspective.

Good luck with your new life after surgery!

I am one week from the day I underwent the VSG procedure. Most of my painful symptoms such as gas pain has gone away but I am still having difficulty, adjusting to this new lifestyle. Especially with eating, like today it seems like I am having a hard time eating and getting the Protein shakes down. I would take a bite or a sip then there would be a girdling sensation in the upper part of my chest then down to the top of my stomach. I am getting sick of this feeling so I was wonder if anyone has had this problem, is it normal, and will it go away?

Also I am confused what my full signal is, my stomach is still sore, rumbling, and healing from the procedure so I don't know if I should follow my stomach's feeling of fullness and how long after I should eat because I never feel physically hunger but I know I must eat/ drink to fill my juice and Protein requirements. What where you full signals the first couple of weeks and how long did you eat again after those signals?

Usually by my 3 or 4th bite I slowed to the point of stopping an so I would sit there a minute or so an pay attention as to wat I was feeling. Usually that's when I just stop eating.

Oh yes, this is a weird sensation, the first few days I could feel everything I was drinking especially the Protein. I just kept on a schedule and limit to 4 oz at first. That does fade, I think it's because our stomachs are still healing. I hiccup now when I'm full and don't have that weird sensation after 3 weeks. I start soft food tomorrow so we'll see! Good luck to you!

Thanks for all your replies, It's hard trying to feel my new stomach out and sometimes that isn't to easy but I'm glad this feeling doesn't last forever

Edited by Trying2getthere

I agree. I had my RNY on the 14th and I think I feel hungry all the time. So I just put an eat time app on my phone and set it to remind me to eat every 3 hours. I try to measure out my Protein Drinks, but when I am eating anything else, I can tell when I am done. I'm looking forward to feeling normal again!

7 weeks post op here, and understand exactly what you mean. As strange as it may sound, my sinuses kick into overdrive and my nose starts running when i hit full. I have yet to consume more than 2 ounces of anything as far as 'food' is concerned. Water, not a problem, I can drink buckets. But let me get close to 1.5 ounces of scrambled eggs and its time to get the tissues. Weired I know, but its the truth. I have a follow up appt in a few weeks, and plan on asking if this is normal or happened to any others.

(9 days out) for the gurgling... I get that after I drink , epically in evenings. Gas X strips that dissolve on tongue, help bunches!

I agree. I had my RNY on the 14th and I think I feel hungry all the time. So I just put an eat time app on my phone and set it to remind me to eat every 3 hours. I try to measure out my Protein drinks, but when I am eating anything else, I can tell when I am done. I'm looking forward to feeling normal again!

I think I should try eating at a certain periods of time because right now, I only feel head hunger and not actual hunger. I want to feel normal again as well.

7 weeks post op here, and understand exactly what you mean. As strange as it may sound, my sinuses kick into overdrive and my nose starts running when i hit full. I have yet to consume more than 2 ounces of anything as far as 'food' is concerned. Water, not a problem, I can drink buckets. But let me get close to 1.5 ounces of scrambled eggs and its time to get the tissues. Weired I know, but its the truth. I have a follow up appt in a few weeks, and plan on asking if this is normal or happened to any others.

Yes, sometimes my nose starts to run a little to even if I only drink three slips of my Protein Drinks.

(9 days out) for the gurgling... I get that after I drink , epically in evenings. Gas X strips that dissolve on tongue, help bunches!

Gas X didn't work well for me like others

Hey!! Just got approved and now I am soooo nervous. I am afraid of wat to expect now. I have a support group, a three year old who likes to be in mommys arms but overall nervous. Any advice other than wat I have already read?

What plan are you all on that you're eating a week out from surgery?!

What plan are you all on that you're eating a week out from surgery?!

first of all 1 week post op you should not be eating any solid food at all.....so I'm confused when you say bite

Maybe I should have left bite out, I am on a fine puree diet. I eat mushy foods such as yogurt, Soup, popsiciles, applesauce etc. Foods like that and of course the liquids and Protein Shakes as well. I am not actually eating solids foods. I found that I do really well with yogurt other it kind of difficult.

I am one week from the day I underwent the VSG procedure. Most of my painful symptoms such as gas pain has gone away but I am still having difficulty, adjusting to this new lifestyle. Especially with eating, like today it seems like I am having a hard time eating and getting the Protein Shakes down. I would take a bite or a sip then there would be a girdling sensation in the upper part of my chest then down to the top of my stomach. I am getting sick of this feeling so I was wonder if anyone has had this problem, is it normal, and will it go away?

Congrats on making on the other side :) I didnt have any full symptoms until i moved to soft foods . My first solid food was tuna and i could only get 2 fork fulls. That is when my wieghtloss stopped for two weeks when I moved to solids just a heads up. Good luck