Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

unkind drs

I need to go back to the dr that was caring for my knees prior to surgery...should be interesting now that I've lost over 125 pounds since our last visit...I need both replaced

Most of the drs in my town just tell me go lose some weight and you will be fine. he is the only dr i have found that says, yes you have a real problem with your knees and back. You need the surgery. He did tell me I would die without it but hey if he will sign the paper to get me to the next step then I am fine. I can deal with a few more insults. I'll just brush them off. But if I ever do go back after I have lost all of this extra weight and he is suddenly nicer...... I'm just going to laugh.. Plus I have his wife as my teacher at college so I don't wanna screw 2 things up.

You do what is best for you. This is your process. Do what is needed to get you to the next step so you can start living the healthy new lifestyle. Good luck with all, including school.

This was also my first reaction to reading this thread. We can all get upset and think that the doc was crude or insensitive, but maybe that's what some of us needed to prompt us to make a change( myself included) I have yet to see a single case where WLS was performed and the patient didn't lose weight......so what they were saying was true.....we are eating too much!!!(oversimplifying for effect but still true)

While hearing things like this is hard, for all of us here it is/was the truth. I had a doctor years ago that his main solution to many of my complaints was losing weight. While it was hard to hear it, I knew it was the truth.

Edited by inittothinit

I got him to write the letter, but not without close tears. he said he bets i go to the store with 3 trollys ( the huge things that carry out like a tv or couch) and fill them with food. And was laughing saying he bets i attack the fridge every time i get the chance, he was soo mean. but i never let him make me cry. hes not worth it. my mom says i should sue. any advice?

Why do you put yourself through this.

You can't sue. Your word against his

However nothing stops you from filing quality of care complaints.

One to the state board of medical examiners and one with your insurance. Call them and tell them what he said.

go on to medicalgrades.com and leave a bad review. go on angieslist. com and do the same. and every website you can find that does reviews of doctors... you can go on google and do the same. what are you going to sue him for? being an asshat?

I'm so sorry he was such a jerk to you. I do agree that to an extent when a Dr says xyz would improve with weight loss that it should be taken as a medical opinion that we all know is true and not a personal assyalt. Now having said that, your doctor wasn't giving you medical advice, he was down right insulting you. It's childish and unprofessional and you really should put in a complaint.

When i was 17 I was constipated for 3 weeks and finally went to my dr. She told me to stop whining and acting like a 50 y/o ( since I rarely saw her I don't know why she thought that). Then she asked what I ate (at the time I ate really very good because 1. My step father was diagnosed with diabetes and my mom went crazy with health food, 2. We were pretty poor so we couldn't afford crap), she completely ignored me and proceeded to tell me to stop eating fast food (I didnt), and candy, pop etc.. (I didnt). I ended up leaving that appointment in tears with no treatment and a fear of doctors. What really annoys me to this day is that she COULD have left behind her prejudice and done some test and found out I have CVID (common variable immune deficiency) which has a huge connection to stomach issues.

It took me a few years but I finally realized some doctors are just jerks and we need to ignore their idiocy.

Your doctor is a bully my love. Having MD behind his name cannot change his character. He is a mean bully and I'm sorry you had to deal with his epic unprofessional behavior. No none wants to say it, but he was fat shaming you. We have all been there at one time or another. But to have a doctor do it..........unacceptable. Continue to take care of you.

I think you should inform the company that employs the Dr. Think about him doing it to someone with fragile mental health causing them to spiral or worse. I agree that this person is a bully. People do that stuff because they continue to get away with it. I would've released the Crackin on him for sure.I would've asked/demanded to speak to to the office manager immediately. I would have TOTALLY shamed him. There have been occasions when people have erroneously mistaken my politeness for weakness, but never twice. I'm sure you'll do what's best for you, but I hate to think of him victimizing people one after another. He needs a reprimand. I'm really sorry your Dr. is so highly unprofessional & mean-spirited. This would have eroded my confidence in him. He sounds like a sadist.

In this country we put doctors on a pedestal. Very few of them deserve it and some, as we know, are total jerks. Hugs to you. Find a new doctor who treats you with respect.

I was pregnant with my second child and went to the DR for my monthly check in. We were in the military at the time so you didn't always get the same DR. Anyway, I lifted up my shirt to get the measurements of my stomach and he said, "Wow, looks like a bear attacked you". I had really bad stretch marks from my first pregnancy. Not sure I've yet recovered from that one and its been many years.

Thank you all for your kind words. I should get the paper I need on Monday and never have to see him again. Then I will start putting up reviews. It's a shame that there are doctors out there that act like this. I'm going to school to be a dr and I hope I never turn into anything remotely what he has become and that I never have to work with someone like him. Thank you all so much this is just another hoop to jump through for the surgery. He will never make me cry. I'm doing this for my kids. I can be strong.

You need to find another doctor...don't let no one to put you down. Similar situations happens to me, not only one but twice.

The first time I went to this doctor to do a physical, I did blood work before I saw him, so he had the results in his hands went he burst out "why do you eat so much if you are diabetic? I didn't know I was pre diabetic, he made me feel like an idiot, an stupid person that is eating her life out. Of course He never saw me again. He was rude, nasty and aggressive.

The second time I went to see this doctor for the first time, and before saying hello the only thing that came out of his mouth was "oh my God why are you doing this to yourself?" It took me a couple of seconds to realized he was talking about my weight, he immediately without touching me send me to loose weight and get on a diet. He never saw my beautiful face again.

There are already negative feelings between you and your doctor, get another one and have your medical history transfer to the new one. Don't wait.

I got him to write the letter, but not without close tears. he said he bets i go to the store with 3 trollys ( the huge things that carry out like a tv or couch) and fill them with food. And was laughing saying he bets i attack the fridge every time i get the chance, he was soo mean. but i never let him make me cry. hes not worth it. my mom says i should sue. any advice?

That's abusive behavior. And it's obviously a violation of the medical code of ethics.

I would audio-record him saying things like this. And then play it for a lawyer.

Seriously!