Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Seven weeks post op, night time dry heaving two nights in a row now

So I am currently on vacation in the mountains seeing my family, I started solids a few weeks ago and the most I occasionally had was esophageal spasms. However the past two nights about and hour after dinner I get very nauseous and cold sweats. I end up dry heaving, feel shaky, and hem lie down and an hour later I am fine. What in the world may be going on? Could this be gall bladder or a leak? I get some pain in upper middle back during the day, but I suspect that is because I have been extremely active on my trip. I plan to call my doctor on Monday esp if this continues. Of course if I end up with fever or pain I will visit the ER here this weekend...

Someone posted the other day symptoms of hypoglycemia. I think that is what she said she had. Other said it was dumping. But dumping is diarrhea not heaving

Check this out

http://www.m.webmd.com/diabetes/diabetes-hypoglycemia

Sounds like symptoms of reactive hypoglycemia. Might want to do some research on it.

Well I read the info but I am not so sure it applies. I am not diabetic and I have been eating high Protein no sugar no carbs and still the dry heaving happens. I also feel a little hot and dizzy while it happens too. Some other things that are currently occurring:

I am in a higher altitude than I am used to, although I have been here a week already.

I have been doing a lot more walking around than usual

I have reflux although I have been taking Prevacid steadily for it, even supplementing with Pepcid as needed.

My eating times are off a bit both due to vacation schedule and being in mountain time rather than central time

I seem to have chronic Constipation

The nausea and dry heaving seem to happen at night within an hour after a meal... Although I just had a post

Iunch episode.

Ever since I started solids, I have quote a bit of pain and discomfort after meals like food is sitting in my chest. Other times it is constant gurgling.

This does not sounds good at all, especially the pain in your middle back. I have heard of this being a leak symptom.

At the very least, I would call and have your surgeon paged to ask about this just to be safe and to make sure it's not a leak.

Keep us updated and take care!!

Help in pain from fibro haven't done any prescription meds since sleeve 11 March. Can I take a half of loritab? Haven't had a flare like this in months.

Also meant to say I had this reaction when I would eat one bite too much adjusting to solid food. Had to lay down. It took several weeks for it to pass. Also took Prevacid. Remember no drinking and eating for 30 minutes.

Now a different feeling completely. When I had the shakes, sweats and feeling faint it was something I drank and know what I did. Drank something a little sweet with straw. I had not used a straw until that day since surgery. Doctor said it entered my little stomach to fast .Said hypoglycemic sugar drop/ or dumping. Never want to feel like that again.

Could it be you Vitamins? My make me sick to my stomach

My guess (and it's just a guess, which absolutely needs a doctor to explore for a definite diagnosis)

When you don't go for a 'number 2' for a while, the food you eat kind of 'backs up' in your intestines. I found that if my 'motility' was slow, this exacerbated my reflux - no end. I got the burning in the middle of the back, too.

As a starter for 10, I would try and get your bowels moving. Take whatever you have to get them emptied.

Potentially take your foot off the pedal with regards to trying to eat 'normal' food. What you're describing, to me, sounds like what happens when I get the slimes, or eat too much of a heavy Protein or have something that is high in fat or high in sugar. Perhaps choose things that are really light and easily digested for a while?

Take your PPI regularly. Perhaps up the dose a bit?

As stated, you absolutely need to go to your doctor to get a check up- but in the interim and as long as you're not running a high temperature; keep your Fluid levels high, take it easy on yourself and see how you feel.

All the best,

I vote Vitamins. If I take my Vitamins on too empty a stomach, they cause a reaction that sounds just like what you're having. A few crackers settles it down right away.

Hi guys just wanted to update you all. I still don't know what happened but since my last post I have had no dry heave issues. So I am hoping it was just either a little tummy bug issue or maybe a little too much food. I take my Vitamins in the morning and they don't seem to bother my tummy. I still get the feeling like food is sitting in my chest for a short while after eating but it does not cause me nausea just a little uncomfy for a short period of time. I was not able to get my doctor on the phone to just mention this to him today so I am hoping I can get him tomorrow. Thank you so much for your suggestions and support! I am so glad I found these forums you have all helped me retain my sanity throughout this whole process.