Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What to do with my hands?

I'm scheduled to have my surgery in less than two weeks and one thing that I'm worried about is how am I going to adjust in the same why that smokers struggle with "what to do with their hands" after quitting. I eat when I'm sad, when I'm happy, when I'm stressed...etc. I drink soda when I'm bored or just to be social. I plan vacations around what restaurants are in the area, I could go on...

I am worried about how will I adjust to ALL that! food is one of my best friends, it never lets me down. Its like a break up. I'm 100% ready for the change, but at the same time...what do I do with my hands??

Anyone else feel this way?? Any advice from seasoned sleevers???

This is the big adjustment we all had to make following surgery and the reason why most of the work is in our heads. For me, it was like hitting a wall once I got home from the surgery and I went through some bad times for the first six weeks.

At six months out - I spend more time working out then before and I also spend more time clothes shopping. I do read more as well. I keep thinking I need to pick up another hobby - like knitting.

The main thing is that food is no longer the center of my life. I think the surgery is a lot like going cold turkey and learning how to live differently.

Try a new hobby! I do crocheting, used to do needlepoint but my eyes r so bad can't hardly see it to do it even with my glasses.

I play solitaire on the iPad, or when u feel like eating go for a walk! Get yourself up to walking a good mile b 4 your surgery.

I know it will be hard but u can do it! I quit smoking 16 yrs ago, oh my what to do with my hands while on the phone, with friends, at work ( I worked outside ) yes it's very hard but you can do it. You might drink a big glass of Water maybe that will help? Anyway good luck, you can do it!

Hi there!

I have found that once I had the surgery, food no longer has the same attraction as it did 8 months ago. I use it truly as a form of fuel for my body. I don't allow it to comfort me any longer. I don't allow it to entertain me.

You will feel different after your surgery - I did. Around the 1 month mark, I really thought eating was a chore. It became bothersome. "OMG, I don't have 20 minutes to sit down and slowly eat a scrambled egg!" I enjoy food now, just not as much of it and I enjoy different kinds of foods - but it's in an appropriate way now, not the dysfunctional way I used food a year ago. I no longer want to sit down to a huge bowl of Pasta and copious amounts of bread. (Ugh, thinking about that made my tummy a little queazy!). Now I get excited when my husband grills an awesome steak with some grilled veggies. Or if I eat out and we have Mexican food - the insides of a taco with some great salsa are a favorite. Maybe a couple of chips, but I want to save room for the main event.

Your worry is valid, but that's going to be the old you. The new you will learn to have a healthy relationship with food.

Best of luck to you!

I'm an artist, and I went back to school shortly before surgery, so I was covered as far as things to do went. I find I can sketch much better now that I don't have food in my hands or residue on my fingers. Yay for no grease stains on my sketch pads!!

I also have craft projects standlng by if I'm not up for drawing. I crochet (we got a new kitten, so I made a bunch of nip-filled balls for him), and I learned to make paracord keychains and bracelets. And I spend a lot less in craft supplies than I used to spend on food, so I still come out ahead :D

But like others mentioned, going for walks or picking up the dumbbells (once you're cleared for it) are also good ways to keep the hands busy. I really didn't want to even think about food post-surgery, so it was fairly easy to distract myself. Not that I didn't get bouts of head hunger, but luckily, I was able to stay distracted and ignore it.

Thankfully the week of my surgery the new Sims4 comes out, So I'm hoping that keeps me busy/entertained for a while.

Other then that I plan on getting a membership to the gym after I'm well enough, I wonder what life must be like without food being the focus 24hrs a day.

I feel like I'm going to learn a lot about myself and life in general without my crutch in the way.

Thankfully the week of my surgery the new Sims4 comes out, So I'm hoping that keeps me busy/entertained for a while.

slightly off topic but, that should keep you busy for awhile. Please let me know what you think of the game. I'm a bit unsure what I think based of the trailers.

As for what to do with your hands, you can always come here, start a new book, do some crafts, volunteer at a local charity. Anything really that will keep your mind engaged and not thinking of food.

There are lots of great ideas here. It might help to make a list of things you like to do -- or would like to try -- or even that just need doing and you'll feel better about once you take care of them -- that are hard to do while eating. Then stick the list somewhere visible, like on the refrigerator. You may not ever need to resort to it, but it will be there if you need it. Possibilities:

• exercise (keep some beginner exercise DVD's handy, maybe get some light weights, a jump rope, etc.)
  • go for a walk
  • teach the dog (assuming you have one) basic obedience or some advanced tricks
  • sketch, paint, watercolor
  • crafts
  • have sex (no really) (let's see if the nannyware censors this)
  • talk on the phone with a friend (it's rude to talk on the phone and crunch during the conversation)
  • take a shower
  • brush your teeth, give yourself a facial, paint your nails, shave your legs
  • organize your closet
  • general housecleaning
  • work in the yard

Apply scented hand lotion and lipgloss. The smell and feel is soothing.

Play games on your ipad or computer.

Read.

Create a look book of new clothes, hairstyles, activities, places to visit that you will enjoy as you lose weight. Use Pinterest or print photos and paste them into a binder.

Clean and organize. After your strength returns and a little weight is off you'll be amazed at how much energy you have.

If all else fails, set a timer for 15 minutes and tell yourself you can eat it it then if you still want it.

Go to bed earlier. This really helped me with late night snacking.

Lynda

I drink Crystal Light to keep me busy :)

I spend a lot of time at the gym - up to two hours after work. By the time I get home it's practically time for me to go to bed. And when I am at home on the weekends, video games. I personally am a fan of the Assassin's Creed series and will play for hours. Hands occupied. And then there are always chores - laundry, cleaning, errands. Really though, the appeal of food as a balm is just not there like it used to be.

Embroidery, reading, and doing my own manicures/pedicures/foot massages have worked for me in the past. And petting my kitties, of course (best therapy of all).