Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My heart is breaking

A co-worker of mine has a 4 y.o. nephew who was treated for brain cancer most of last year. He had surgery, chemo, and radiation and as far as we in the office heard was doing well.

I just got an e-mail from the co-worker letting me know his nephew's cancer has returned, and the doctors say it's progressed to the point where he has only 2-3 months to live. My heart is just broken in two for this family. I can't imagine. :think

:omg: oh no! Bless his heart.

I have a 5 y.o. daughter, and my heart breaks into a million pieces when she's got a tummy ache or something.

I couldn't begin to image what the family must be going through, much less the little boy.

I will include them in my prayers!

OMG,

That is heartbreaking. I can't imagine either. We are all so lucky sometimes and whine and complain and don't know how well off we are. I will most definitely keep them in my thoughts and prayers.

I can't imagine how horrible that would be for a parent. i don't have children but love them - whenever my nieces and nephews have even a sniffle it almost kills me. To see children hurting or worse to have a terminal illness is beyond comprehension - it seems so unfair and cruel. Alexandra - I can't imagine either. They will be in my prayers for sure.

Thank you everyone for your thoughts. I know the family is well-supported in their time of trial.

The news this morning is even worse. Today the family saw an oncologist in New York, who says now that the cancer is so advanced the child has weeks, not months, to live. It turns out that though he was cancer-free three months ago, the tumors returned so aggressively that there is nothing to be done.

If there is any blessing to be found, it is that his brother is quite young yet (not older, as I thought), and will not remember this grief. The family will not have to somehow comfort a child who is losing a sibling on top of trying to face this tragedy themselves.

My friend was just gray this morning when he came in, and he didn't stay long. I can't even imagine what his sister is going through. We can all hold the fervent hope is that the child isn't in pain, and passes with peace and love all around him.

Alex, in regards to the issue of pain--we just lost my BIL not long ago to a glioblastoma brain tumor, and he had no pain. In the begining, before the diagnosis, he complained of sinus pain, and a strange smell all the time. But for the months he lived following the diagnosis, there was no pain. He remained concious for most of the time, and slowly lost his ability to do things for himself, but never grimaced, or moaned, nothing even towards the end to lead us to believe he ever had pain involved. The hospice nurse told us the brain has no pain receptors.

It is a horrible thing, especially with a child. Prayers to the childs family, your friend, and for you to know how to comfort your friend.

Kat

Kat, thank you so much, that's really helpful and reassuring information. This boy has a meduloblastoma.

Sigh... Kat, thank you. Tonight I will be able to sleep. :hug:

Alexandra we lost my great neice to neuroblastoma 3 years ago, she was just 4 years old. My niece was only 20 when Sierra was diagnosed, can you imagine that? She was just a child herself! She fought for 2 years, she was 2 when they found it and 4 when she died. But the joy she brought to us in those few years! In Oct they were on the way to the dr and Sierra told her mom, very matter of factly, mom you know I'm going away. Mom of course played it down and said we're just going to the dr, Sierra said alittle more adamently mom I'm going away and I won't come back. It was almost like she was preparing her mom for her death. In Dec she lost all feeling from the waistdown, I would stop in everyday (they live next door to me) and she was sitting in a chair with the bible laying open on her lap (this is a 4 year old child) I said she's got the bible, my neice said yeah she likes to hold it, when I looked it was open to Psalms. I'm not sure who got more comfort from that opened bible, her or me. It was a horrible time for all of us, the treatments, bone marrow transplants, experimental treatments, it was tough and somehow we got through it and we all just thank God for the time we did have with her, she is sadly missed but always always always in our hearts. My heart goes out for this family and all familes who have to deal with childhood cancer. Lord be with them.

A co-worker of mine has a 4 y.o. nephew who was treated for brain cancer most of last year. He had surgery, chemo, and radiation and as far as we in the office heard was doing well.

I just got an e-mail from the co-worker letting me know his nephew's cancer has returned, and the doctors say it's progressed to the point where he has only 2-3 months to live. My heart is just broken in two for this family. I can't imagine. :think

This is truly dreadful news for this family. Cancer is a particularly brutal disease, and it is especially painful to hear of a young child going through this torment. It is painful for you to receive this information about your co-worker's small nephew and this pain which you are suffering is much worse again for the family of this child. My thoughts and sympathies are now with you, this family, and this child.

I can't imagine anything harder than a parent losing a child. My most sincere and heartfelt thoughts to you and the family.

I shed a tear for the little angel. I also said a prayer. I hate to see anyone sick, especially a child. My cousin who is 13? is battling brain cancer right now, but he seems to be doing alright. Cancer is such a ugly disease. I have lost many family and friends to it.