Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Fallen off the wagon and can't seem to get up

Had really high expectations about VSG and the results I would get. I was excited, motivated and optimistic at the start of the process but my slow weight loss (36 pounds at 6 months postop) and slow physical transformation has left me depressed, feeling trapped and I feel like the surgery is failing so for the past weeks have said f it and started to eat whatever and eating past the point of being full. Oddly enough I'm still keeping up with my workouts. I feel like if I'm doing what I'm supposed to do but not seeing results then why bother and from where I started (check my stats) I thought I'd easily lose 50 pounds in 3 months. Even worse I visit the site I and see incredible numbers and I want to scream. I'm mentally exhausted, checked out of the process, in a dark hole right now and fear this weight is never going to come off. Life really sucks right now

Agree with the above - get with your nutritionist. Track every morsel that goes in your mouth BEFORE it goes in. Be honest, if you aren't you're only cheating yourself. Take your results to the nutritionist and review what you're doing. Counseling may be in order.

Also...it's hard to not compare yourself to others. I do it, I think a lot of us do it. It will certainly lead to disappointment. It's not productive. This is your journey, no one else's. You are responsible for your behavior, no one else is.

Don't want to pile on, but I'm thinking a food journal with a NUT appointment could help you problem solve and create an action plan to help get you over your speed bump. Myfitnesspal has a pretty good database and it is really easy to track...

Not to sound harsh, but damn it, you have to want it...nobody can do it for you! You know what you have to do, now that you've undergone this major/life-changing surgery...quit whining and just do it!

Those first 3-6 months were the most challenging for me, as well as almost everyone else...to say it was an emotional friggin' roller coaster is an understatement!

You will get through this, however as others have said, talk with your doctor and your nutritionist...that's what they're there for, to help you! Also, as mentioned previously, you have to track your food intake...and be honest! :angry:

This procedure has been a blessing for me and my wife (she was sleeved exactly 2 months after me), however I'd be lying if I said it was easy...it was work. You just gotta get through the gettin' through! If there is a support group in your area, go to it. If there isn't one, start one! Everyone has the right to visit a pity party now and then, the key is knowing when it's time to get up and leave!

Good luck and Godspeed for what will be an incredible journey on the road to a healthier and happier you my friend! ;)

If you set your life up for failure, you will be 100% successful at it. Saying "f it" is part of what got you into an obese state to begin with. You owe it to yourself and those that love you to quit shitting on your own progress. Reverting back to who you were and what you did prior to allowing your body to be cut open and having the majority of your stomach removed, is not cool, and frankly speaking YOU KNOW BETTER SO STOP IT. Many factors play into why one person drops weight quicker than another; only part of it has to with the sleeve. If you were the type to get on a diet and do well but quit and start self-sabotaging because ithe weight loss is just not fast enough - then maybe you are a yo-yo dieter who has wrecked your metabolism. Getting your stomach removed does not cure pyschological issues with food addiction. Getting your stomach removed does not fix your wrecked metabolism. Revisit the emotional turmoil you felt that led you down the irreversible path of WLS. Is it the surgery failing you or is it you failing the surgery? Be honest with yourself. Throw out your scale and your "f it" self sabotaging thoughts and do what you KNOW you need to do. This is your journey, not anyone else's and only you know how much damage you've done to yourself in the years leading up to the decision for surgery; knowing that, you can not possibly compare yourself to another's journey. You are worth so much more than purposefully choosing to go back where you came from - which for most obese people is sheer misery. I truly hope you despise what I wrote but realize its the truth and will be grateful for it later. Best wishes to you.

I get it. I was in your shoes back in early 2013. I failed like a failure reading everyone comments that they dropped 50-70 lbs in 6 months. Guess what...I didn't give up. I constantly told myself my body shape must be different my fat must love me too much to leave me. I started using myfitnesspal and journaling everything I are. Then, I started walking and moving my body. I lost 40 lbs within the first six months of my journey. Then, I went to my nutritionist and I was so sad to go but I did it. She put me on a healthy plan I was back to drinking Protein Shakes, every meal had Protein including Snacks. I stopped eating high carbs snacks and sweets. I lost 45lbs in another 6 months. I was sleeved on Dec. 11, 2012 weighted 235lbs 5'7" and today I weight 164lbs. I still need to lose 10 lbs more to reach my personal goal. You can do it, don't get discourage and be strong. I will forever struggle with food but I work on my decision making everyday. Best if luck.

Just like my signature says about falling off the wagon, you must do two things- fix the wagon and become a better rider.

Sound like you are a carb person, you would most likely have much success following a low-carb plan. Most plans following surgery are generaly low carb, not sure why yousr wouldn't be.

Carbs crave more carbs for most people- especially overweight people.

I feel like surgery is failing

@

hey cutie

this is a hard process (but you knew that!!)

sorry you are having difficulties :wacko:

good for you on continueing with your exercise

high expections are great, but they must be realistic too

we are all different in our weight loss, time it takes to lose etc

"the only thing we have in common is that we're all different"

don't ever compare yourself with others (weight loss etc)

you said you started to throw the towel in a few weeks ago, eating whatever you wanted

but, be honest with yourself

after WLS, how was your eating, drinking etc

"if" you ate stuff that you shouldn't have...........knock it off!! ^_^

but no use dwelling on the past..gotta move forward and don't look back

you are starting over again

i would strongly advice a week of Protein shakes to give you some extra weight loss that should put a smile on your face :)

if you hate/really can't drink Protein Shakes - at least drink lots of Water, eat soft foods etc

i can see :unsure: you are a smart cookie, and you know what/how to eat, and what to do

eat dense Protein first, that fills you up better

eat very slowly

at 2.5 years, i still use small utensils, and a small plate at home

take small bites, put your utensil down, and chew food to a million pieces!!

stop drinking about 15 minutes prior to eating

never drink wih your food (people have been shot for less) :lol: wen

wait 45-60 minutes after you eat, til you drink again

drink a minimum of 64 oz of Water a day

(the above #s are via my NUT, listen to whatever YOUR nut tell you)

if you start/continue the above rules et al - you can't help but lose weight (that goes for anyone thats reading this)

as all the wise people above have said - start to use MFP religiously

write everything down

if you eat something "bad" write it down!!!

later hopefully you'll look at the piece of cake or brownie saying something like "I shouldn't be eating that!"

at some point you and everyone WILL be able to eat alittle bit of most foods

but not yet!!

I'm extending my arms to you on the floor pulling you up

its much easier for me to do that now that you are 36 lbs down :)

i have confidence in you

as everyone says, the sleeve is only a "tool" in the world of weight loss

you work with it and it will work with/for you!!! :)

PLEASE get back to work - we ALL know you want/and can be successful!!

why are you reading this, you should be preparing you dinner :lol:

lecture over :)

GOOD LUCK

kathy

Edited by proudgrammy

Another thing I'd like to add to all the above wise words is something I used to tell my clients when I worked as a weight loss consultant ( can you believe I used to tell others about how to loose weight - talk about teachers teach because they can't do it themselves). Anyway, I used to tell people to not focus about the long journey ahead but just to focus on today. Let your goal be to get into bed tonight and tell yourself "I had a good day". If you can go to sleep tonight proud of yourself than you have accomplished your goal. If you can have one good day than that can more easily lead to another good day and another. Momentum switches. Its like any other addiction -1 day at a time. Hope this is helpful.

There's no way around it, it sucks. You got the sleeve and your post-operative results were dismal. I'd be mad, sad and on my dieticians doorstep demanding help. Our little sleeve is an amazing tool but only you know what you're feeding it. I'm avoiding all carbs since my body will more readilyburn fat if it doesn't have carbs as fuel. Keep them as low as possible, substitute a Protein shake for one meal and eat mostly lean Protein. Get back to basics and you'll kick-start your weight loss again.

During my next stall I'm going to need very similar encouragement. Hard to see the forest for the trees when we are so invested in this process so objectivity goes right out the window!

Hang in there and keep trying!