Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery tomorrow! Terrified!

So my surgery is tomorrow and the nerves are really kicking in. I did two weeks pre op diet and managed to lose 11lbs I don't know if that's good or bad but I guess everyone's different.

I'm so excited yet so scared about what's in store tomorrow and forever after!! I feel so prepared yet totally and completely un prepared!!! Any last minute advice on stuff to take to hospital? I am staying over night. And anything I need for when I get home that would help me?! I would really appreciate it thank you! X

I took nothing. I was out 3 hours after surgery.

Just a toothbrush and maybe some mouthwash might be all?

RE: The fear? Here's a post I copied two years ago and it really fit me and many others who were afraid before surgery. For me, it was the fear of not being able to comfort myself with food. You may be the same and maybe it's the fear of surgery? Either way, a year from now you'll be posting comments to others to reassure them that they're doing the right thing.

"In my case, the most fearful thing I had to do in order to succeed with my band wasn't switching to skim milk, surviving a liquid diet, or giving up bread. The most fearful thing was giving up my emotional attachment to food. In the nearly 5 years since I was banded, I've made a lot of progress with that, but the attachment is still there. It forms one of the innermost layers of my turtle shell. Working on that layer will probably be a lifetime job for me. At times I'm not even sure I truly want to get rid of it altogether. At times I'm afraid that if I shed my shell completely, I won't be able to survive. On the other hand, I seem to be doing fine without that thick old bitch layer. So I'm going to pay attention to my dreams rather than my fears and pray for a miracle. And why not? It can't hurt to try!"

Get your broth and Jello and Crystal light stuff like that ready. Also a heating pad helps at times. Best of luck and congrats!

My surgery is tomorrow too. I have lost about 12 pounds on the Sugar Busters pre op diet. Like you, I don't know if that is any good but we are in the same boat! I am a bundle of nerves....trying to not think about it too much today but it is impossible. My surgery will be out patient and we will have an hour ride home. Good luck to you!!

Good luck to you! You will do great. Lots of folks here to help you on the band ed side! :-)

My surgery is tomorrow too. I have lost about 12 pounds on the Sugar Busters pre op diet. Like you, I don't know if that is any good but we are in the same boat! I am a bundle of nerves....trying to not think about it too much today but it is impossible. My surgery will be out patient and we will have an hour ride home. Good luck to you!!

Ahhh good luck to you too!! And well done on the 12lbs it's so tough! I'd love to know how you get on :)

Good luck to you! You will do great. Lots of folks here to help you on the band ed side! :-)

Thankyou :) the support on here is amazing! It's so lovely especially as I'm only telling my immediate family it's not something many people are knowledgeable on in every day life so it's so nice to know so many people are willing to help :)

Yes let's keep one another posted...this is a difficult journey but the results from hard work will be priceless!

Hi there and congratulations both of you for tomorrow. It's so natural to be nervous and I think the pre-op diet adds to that. I had never been an overnight patient in a hospital before and it was all so much better than I imagined. Be sure to take a sense of humor -- the gown and booties, paperwork, being rolled around on a gurney, etc. I'm a tea drinker and also stayed overnight, so I was glad for the tea bags I brought. Walking cannot be overemphasized -- the more you walk afterwards the better you'll feel. Every time I had to pee (or felt like it) I walked up and down the hallways then once home around the driving circle. I started with one lap and got up to thirty. I was over the moon with excitement -- so happy to be choosing myself and my health -- and I think that got me through the discomfort. Keep taking deep breaths and enjoy the ride!

Congrats & good luck to both of y'all. I was out patient as well so not much advice on that lol. But like Bandista said, WALK, WALK, & WALK some more. It really does help. I wasn't nervous at all! I guess bc I was so obsessed & ready to get my life back. I will say its not been easy, but everyone is different. Just listen to ur body & doctor. I go tomorrow for my 1st fill & I'm not looking forward to going back on liquids & basically starting over when I finally just starting eating last week. But it'll be ok & I know totally worth it! 2MuchFun, love ur post.

Good luck! Hope your recovery goes great!

@ GRE110, I hope your surgery went well. I was nervous all the way up until the anesthesia meds kicked in! All went well with me today! I ended up having a large hernia that the surgeon repaired. I had no idea of its existence and the MD said it will help with my reflux. I am more sore than anything. I have been walking laps in the house today since it is so hot outside. Hope to hear everything went great for you! (Btw my surgeon asked if I stuck with the pre op diet but did not ask how much I had lost).

@ GRE110, I hope your surgery went well. I was nervous all the way up until the anesthesia meds kicked in! All went well with me today! I ended up having a large hernia that the surgeon repaired. I had no idea of its existence and the MD said it will help with my reflux. I am more sore than anything. I have been walking laps in the house today since it is so hot outside. Hope to hear everything went great for you! (Btw my surgeon asked if I stuck with the pre op diet but did not ask how much I had lost).

I'm so glad it well went for you! Oh really?! Good job they found it and fixed it while you were already there so two in one haha. My surgery was at half 5 so I'm an over night patient so I'm still here as it's 6am. They haven't got me walking too much yet but I've been up and down a couple of times. I'm just sore like you say, it's like a horse kicked you in the stomach haha. And I've got that dreaded gas pain in the shoulder every one said about. Was so hoping I'd be one of the lucky ones and didn't get it but never mind!!! Should be leaving by 11 I can't wait! X

<p>Congrats & good luck to both of y'all. I was out patient as well so not much advice on that lol. But like Bandista said, WALK, WALK, & WALK some more. It really does help. I wasn't nervous at all! I guess bc I was so obsessed & ready to get my life back. I will say its not been easy, but everyone is different. Just listen to ur body & doctor. I go tomorrow for my 1st fill & I'm not looking forward to going back on liquids & basically starting over when I finally just starting eating last week. But it'll be ok & I know totally worth it! 2MuchFun, love ur post.</p>[/QUOT

They've not made me walk much yet, think it's because I'm a bit light headed so they keep putting the oxygen thing up my nose which I hate haha. You weren't nervous? Ah that's they brave! I was absolutely fine until they told my mum she couldn't come any further and I went into the room where they give you the anasthetic and had a little cry to the nurse haha pathetic I know!!! Good luck let us know how it goes!!! X