Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Cheating during Post Op

I am 13 days post op and I feel I need help. My surgery was July 1 in puerto vallarta mexico. Needless to say, there is no post op follow up visits. I feel there is no accountability• I did great on pre op....no cheating at all. However, I feel I am not doing right post op. Twice a day, I use my nutri bullet to blend my Premier Protein shake with strawberries. I take all my Vitamins whole( no chewable or liquids). Vitamins: Biotin, Calcium, Multivitamin, Vitamin d3, and B12. I usually have some type of cream soup.... But I have once had nachos/cheese, small piece of chicken wrap, fries, and veggies chips. Other than cramps after eating, I feel ok. Advice!

What surgery did you have?

I was self-pay, too, so I traveled for my surgery. I found a local doctor to support me for my post-op visits. She treats me as if she performed the surgery for me - I pay for these visits out of my pocket. Are you able to get access to a local surgeon or follow ups with your doctor in Mexico?

Eating off plan (your surgeon should have provided guidelines even if there isn't any follow up), is dangerous. You could hurt yourself. Your stomach is still healing - please treat it with care. You paid a lot of money for that tummy - don't waste this opportunity and risk your help for a few bites of food.

I was self-pay, too, so I traveled for my surgery. I found a local doctor to support me for my post-op visits. She treats me as if she performed the surgery for me - I pay for these visits out of my pocket. Are you able to get access to a local surgeon or follow ups with your doctor in Mexico? Eating off plan (your surgeon should have provided guidelines even if there isn't any follow up), is dangerous. You could hurt yourself. Your stomach is still healing - please treat it with care. You paid a lot of money for that tummy - don't waste this opportunity and risk your help for a few bites of food.< /p>

he provided guidelines. I really needed to post this so that I could get back on track. Thanks for keeping me focused!

holy crap....As one that has had every difficulty in the book except dying..And I came close to that you don't want any complications hun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your sleeve is raw inside. It cannot handle any real food at this time. Not only is it swollen and raw but the staples are at risk of being torn free.

There are so many posts on here that can give you guidelines on what to do and what not to do right now in this part of your journey.

why would you want to risk your new tummy over junk...I dont want to sound ugly but Im sure you had to go thru everything we all did to even qualify for this surgery. ...the protocol? eating junk like that is what got us in this situation of needing medical help. ur tummy is very sensitive right now sweetie an needs babyd...I am 5 days postop an every lil sip I take my tummy / esophagus goes into bad spasms...I cant even think about eating on them foods you mentioned. if your having that kind of relapse in emotional thinking now how do you think your going to do 6 months or a yr from now with stearing towards those foods? do you have family support around you? are you able to get into therapy maybe to talk about why you chose to cheat with these foods? I sure hope you can get refocused it hasnt been that long for you...keep us posted...so we can see how your doing. :)and the Vitamins an meds...I have to split mine an I have also changed to chewable soft Gummy multi and calcium chews. my other meds I have to break up ...theres only one I take whole which is my script nexium. hang in there you can do this!! (((hugs))) best wishes :)....there is all kinds of differant forums on this site make use of them very very formative an helpful!

The book that was written for Sleeve surgery is very good. You don't have to buy the book (I did and glad I did that) because you can download the chapters you want right here on Bariatric Pal. I suggest you do this. It's a wealth of information & will give you the stages you should be at and what kind of food you should be eating. I combined the info in this book with what my surgeon & NUT gave me & have done really well - except for the stalls. Those suck. Good advice about finding a doctor that will work with you on this surgery. I can't imagine not having a doctor follow your progress. Good luck with your Sleeve. I'm soooooo glad I did this.

Don't worry about what you've done, concentrate on what you are going to do from today forward. That was always one of my downfalls when dieting- if I cheated, I felt like since I'd already blown it, I might as well eat whatever I wanted. Every day is a fresh start, do your best and take it one day at a time. That being said, do be careful not to damage your sleeve. When I am tempted, I think about having to go through all that pain again if I develop a leak and they have to go back in- ugh!

Don't worry about what you've done, concentrate on what you are going to do from today forward. That was always one of my downfalls when dieting- if I cheated, I felt like since I'd already blown it, I might as well eat whatever I wanted. Every day is a fresh start, do your best and take it one day at a time. That being said, do be careful not to damage your sleeve. When I am tempted, I think about having to go through all that pain again if I develop a leak and they have to go back in- ugh!

It is not about cheating that is the issue here hun. In fact if she was several months into this ...any of those foods would be fine...in moderation and few and far between.

It is the issue of the possible damage that can be done to her new and baby sleeve.....She has no reason to feel like she failed and I don't think that was what she was asking....That is true it is one of the biggest fears of this journey. And those who are out much longer have terrible anxiety over it...

But right now she is in the honeymoon period and that still is not the point....

It is that she is taking risks that will or could or can cause her severe complications....Also if she cannot buckle down when her sleeve is new then she will need counseling to help her deal with what is setting her off and how to solve it and retrain her brain.....

:)

Allowing your sleeve sufficient time to heal is very critical for success. You're eating things that can get into the suture line and cause a leak. Yikes! Please be careful and take it slow. Your life might depend on it!

It is not about cheating that is the issue here hun. In fact if she was several months into this ...any of those foods would be fine...in moderation and few and far between.

It is the issue of the possible damage that can be done to her new and baby sleeve.....She has no reason to feel like she failed and I don't think that was what she was asking....That is true it is one of the biggest fears of this journey. And those who are out much longer have terrible anxiety over it...

But right now she is in the honeymoon period and that still is not the point....

It is that she is taking risks that will or could or can cause her severe complications....Also if she cannot buckle down when her sleeve is new then she will need counseling to help her deal with what is setting her off and how to solve it and retrain her brain.....

:)

Not disagreeing with you at all, I think you give wonderful advice! Just thought she could also use some positive encouragement going forward. I certainly wasn't trying to downplay the seriousness of the damage that could be done at this stage, the fear of that is one of my best motivational tools to follow my center's plan!

Actually, as I understand it, those who go to Mexico don't have any hoops to jump through at all (behaviorally or educationally) -- they do varying versions (some quite minimal) of pre-op diets to shrink the liver, and then are sent on their way with some printouts.

At least that's how understand it. If I'm wrong, please correct my misinformation.

holy crap....As one that has had every difficulty in the book except dying..And I came close to that you don't want any complications hun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Your sleeve is raw inside. It cannot handle any real food at this time. Not only is it swollen and raw but the staples are at risk of being torn free. There are so many posts on here that can give you guidelines on what to do and what not to do right now in this part of your journey.

yes! I needed to read this. I need to stay on this forum reading like I was doing pre surgery. Thanks so much for your testimony. I haven't gone completely off the deep end but I needed to make a thread before I did.

why would you want to risk your new tummy over junk...I dont want to sound ugly but Im sure you had to go thru everything we all did to even qualify for this surgery. ...the protocol? eating junk like that is what got us in this situation of needing medical help. ur tummy is very sensitive right now sweetie an needs babyd...I am 5 days postop an every lil sip I take my tummy / esophagus goes into bad spasms...I cant even think about eating on them foods you mentioned. if your having that kind of relapse in emotional thinking now how do you think your going to do 6 months or a yr from now with stearing towards those foods? do you have family support around you? are you able to get into therapy maybe to talk about why you chose to cheat with these foods? I sure hope you can get refocused it hasnt been that long for you...keep us posted...so we can see how your doing. :)and the Vitamins an meds...I have to split mine an I have also changed to chewable soft Gummy multi and calcium chews. my other meds I have to break up ...theres only one I take whole which is my script nexium. hang in there you can do this!! (((hugs))) best wishes :)....there is all kinds of differant forums on this site make use of them very very formative an helpful!

you are absolutely right. I appreciate your advice and will learn and grow from this. I'm so thankful for a caring support group.