Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

amazing success stories

I read a post from my phone that inspired me to write this... but I can't find the post so I am starting a new thread!

So many share incredible transformation stories - and that post mentioned people who pose in bikinis (raising hand here) to show off this transformation. We all Celebrate and say "wow" and all that great stuff.... but how does it make people feel who have more "average" results, not quite getting to goal, maybe not doing plastics etc so they don't feel as "wowed" by their transformations.

I want to say something about this. i reviewed some progress photos and looked long and hard at the ones where I weighed about 190... I started at over 300# so it was a big difference. at 5'5" I was still overweight at 190, but you know, I was "pretty good". It's very hard to not feel a certain pressure to succeed in the way that others define it, but truth is this is our own journey and not someone elses. If I had stopped at maintained at 190 or thereabouts... or even in the 170s... I really met my most important goals. Improved health, no more sleep apnea, no more high blood pressure, could hike and ride more easily and could shop at normal sized stores.

BTW, as far as attention from the opposite gender, it was definately MORE when I weighed around 160-170 range then my current weight of 140. I have no idea why... but it is the truth.

From a quality of life perspective - getting down to my current weight did not really improve it much more. We need to define our own success and not let the excitement of the success story board make you feel like you aren't successful.

Lets be honest, statistically, many of us reporting getting down to that elusive "goal" will regain a few pounds or 20 over the coming years. I don't plan on that, but it is a very common occurance.

I want to give a shout out to all of you who have had amazing success even if your BMI is still over 25. Think about how far you have come and how much you have improved your life! also, look around, the average person has gotten bigger over the decades and someone in the 25-30 BMI range is considered pretty average size now.

congrats to all of us for taking control of our health and fitness!!!!

Edited by CowgirlJane

You win the internet for today with one of the best posts I have ever read on this site! Thank you for reminding me to Celebrate and enjoy my small victories. You are absolutely correct. Even if I don't lose another pound, I am so far ahead of where I was six months ago, I should be dancing, not complaining. I tend to go all "Eeyore" all too often.

I should print out this post and place it on my bulletin board.

I was just today reflecting while at the gym on where I was a year ago vs. today. Never would I ever have imagined getting up at 5:30 to go to the gym, running 4 miles, and doing it during that dreaded time of the month. But I did it this morning without thinking about it. THAT is something that the scale cannot measure and is not a result of the size of my stomach (for those who say surgery is the easy way out). THAT is a result of the new life I have due to the hard work I've put in working "with" my sleeve.

So I say HECK YEAH! Forget the focus on the numbers and whether or not you can pose in a bikini (which PS is freaking awesome if you can) and Celebrate what you've done!!!!

Well. That is a success. I get to get myself to the gym go go go go go.

You said it perfectly Jane! I couldn't agree more!!!