Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Back pain post surgery

I am about 3 months post op and have been having mid back pain for the last month or so. Didnt have problems pre surgery. I have been seeing a Dr and haven't found anything major. But I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this? Is there a link between WLS and back pain?

I am about 3 months post op and have been having mid back pain for the last month or so. Didnt have problems pre surgery. I have been seeing a Dr and haven't found anything major. But I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this? Is there a link between WLS and back pain?

Yes, I did, I believe I was dehydrated , and the pain was actually kidney pain, have you looked into that at all? I drank more Water and within a week the pain was gone.

I am almost 4 months post-op and have been experiencing horrible back pain across the back of the rib cage on both sides, just below the bra line, for about 2 months now. I get enough Water, so I can't imagine that it's due to dehydration. I have an appt with my PCP Monday, so hopefully will get some answers then. Fingers crossed!

Sounds like gallbladder to me. I could be wrong but that is where I had my gallbladder pain.

Hope you're better soon.

In my case, I know it can't be gallbladder related, since I had my gallbladder out two years ago. My gallbladder pain was all in the front, radiating across my stomach.

I am almost 4 months post-op and have been experiencing horrible back pain across the back of the rib cage on both sides, just below the bra line, for about 2 months now. I get enough Water, so I can't imagine that it's due to dehydration. I have an appt with my PCP Monday, so hopefully will get some answers then. Fingers crossed!

That's the same for me. Right below the bra line all across. So weird. Definitely not kidney it is much higher than that and not gallbladder since mine is removed. Seems so strange. My dr didn't seem to think it had anything to do with WLS. He just said to wait and take muscle relaxes but its not improving.

But let me know if your dr has a different opinion!

Yes I have the same kind of back pain across my mid back. I have not been to the doctor. I kind of figured it was my muscles readjusting to carrying my weight differently. I haven't really lost any of my chest which is throwing me off balanced. I'm not sure but it is very painful.

Yes!!! For me it started about four months out and I too think it was muscle pain from bad posture due to my body needing to adjust to carrying itself differently now that it's not being pulled forward by an extra 100+ pounds!

I have been seeing a chiropractor (for the first time in my life) and my posture has improved greatly and the pain has gradually been lessening.

I have to gallbladder and know right where my kidneys hurt because I have had many kidney stones over the years so I knew mine was muscular/skeletal.

And same with my chest... Still a DDD cup after 100+ lbs lost (though the band size has done down from a 42 to a 34).

I saw a chiropractor but the treatment is so expensive. Not wanting to do it unless it will help. The 3 appt s I had so far haven't helped. Im wondering the same as you guys, is it just a temporary readjustment faze due to the weight loss or will it be long term?

My insurance covers chiropractic. If yours doesn't try seeing an orthopedic dr and getting a referral to a physical therapist.

I don't think for me anyhow it is a temporary readjustment. I think my body needs specific exercises and such to rebalance and strengthen different muscles, I think if I don't work on that then I will have bad posture and hunch forward and that will cause permanent back pain and musculoskeletal changes. I mean my skeleton and muscles adapted to my former weight and now the structure of my body has changed. My muscles and skeleton need to adjust accordingly.

Am I making sense?

My insurance covers chiropractic. If yours doesn't try seeing an orthopedic dr and getting a referral to a physical therapist.

I don't think for me anyhow it is a temporary readjustment. I think my body needs specific exercises and such to rebalance and strengthen different muscles, I think if I don't work on that then I will have bad posture and hunch forward and that will cause permanent back pain and musculoskeletal changes. I mean my skeleton and muscles adapted to my former weight and now the structure of my body has changed. My muscles and skeleton need to adjust accordingly.

Am I making sense?

Yes it makes sense to me. Not sure my dr believes it though. Didnt ask the bariatric coordinator about it yet and dont see him for another few months. My insurance does cover chiropractor s but a 35 a visit c opay 3 times a week is a lot of money for me! Wonder if it would be the same story with physical therapy as far as the copay. I'll follow up with my dr next week and ask about it. None of the exercise I do really bothers it because of the location. Right in the middle- dont think any of my exercises target mid back.

The mid back is what says posture to me. Mine used to REALLY bother me there after I ran too (I run 1-4 miles a day and on my longer runs it would really get to me!). Took about 3-4 visits to the chiro for me to notice a difference plus specific exercises he gave me to do (wall squats, something similar to a yoga bridge pose but on a big foam roller and then a traction type pose on the roller) which I do 2-3 times a day. Noticed a big difference after about two weeks or exercises and 5 visits.

Now I want to keep working on those exercises and add in more core work (which supports the posture and back) and keep up with my 2-3x a week of yoga and see the chiropractor twice a month. Hoping that will be a permanent solution.

I also have a visit with an Ortho scheduled (it just takes about six weeks to get in!) and will ask what their suggestions are.

I have mid back pain and it was from the 25 pound loss so far. I also experienced same back pain when I was pregnant and gaining. And then again when I lost pregnancy weight.

So large fluctuations cause me back pain

All in same spot