Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just starting the process for the gastric sleeve! Any words of advice for this psycholical testing portion? I have part one on this date and a meeting with the psychologist in 2 weeks! Any advice to calm some nerves would be appreciated!!

The psych test was pretty easy. My elevator really only wanted to see that I knew what I was getting myself into, was committed to living a healthier lifestyle, and was realistic about how the Sleeve worked and how much weight I would lose.

Just starting the process for the gastric sleeve! Any words of advice for this psycholical testing portion? I have part one on this date and a meeting with the psychologist in 2 weeks! Any advice to calm some nerves would be appreciated!!

I was originally nervous about this part also, but afterwards I realized I had no reason to be. The Doctor's main focus was to make sure that I had a clear understanding of what the surgery entailed, how my life would change (besides the physical changes), and that I had given this serious thought/research, and didn't just jump into it.

I think it's important to get across that you know that the sleeve won't get rid of 100% of the excess weight, that it's a tool. You have to do your part to get the rest of the way there.

And don't go in carrying a Latte, someone wrote awhile back that was done. Needless to say they didn't get approved...:)

surgery.png?ts=1404836800

My psych eval went just fine. The shock therapy portion really wasn't as bad as people said it would be. ;)

The psychologist and I just had a pretty normal conversation where we discussed why I wanted the surgery, if I thought I could be successful, what my personal goal weight was and other things along that line. I had taken a computer-generated test prior to our meeting, which we went over.

At the end she said, "well, I am giving you full clearance". That was nice of her so I didn't have to wonder what the decision would be.

It is a lot easier than people think and I will agree with the others that have posted on this particular subject that they just want to make sure you understand all of it and are prepared for the surgery and afterwards.

My next and last visit is to the nutritionist. Once she gives me clearance, I will have passed the last hurdle for surgery, test-wise. However, they did find I am anemic so I will have to delay surgery until I can get to normal levels, which is around 11.5 - 12.0. And that is okay because the goal is to be as healthy as possible going into surgery.

My psych eval went just fine. The shock therapy portion really wasn't as bad as people said it would be. ;)

LOL - Funny!!

Oh honey...I'm nutty as a fruitcake, but well medicated. *smug smile*

They just want to make sure you know what you're getting yourself into...that you are realistic about your goals and that you are prepared to put some work into this.

Now put that knife away and go play nice. :rolleyes:

My evaluation was good. Along with making sure I really know what I am getting into with the surgery we talked about other aspects I might run into when losing weight. The dangers of addiction transfer and how my relationship with people might change along with my relationship with food. We even discussed how to handle questions about my weight loss and how to approach negative opinions from people who might not understand (if I decided to tell them I had WLS).

The only tough part of the eval was the questions about my background. Issues from my past that I though I was totally over came to light and I was surprised how much they still effected me. I was advised that it might be good to get additional counselling in that regard to help me overcome those negative feelings.

Edited by Murphysraven

There was a questionnaire that I had to fill out. And the psychologist had a med student with him. As if that wasn't extra intimidating. Darn teaching hospitals. I was sweating. To be fair it was hot that day but I never stopped even after sitting in the air conditioned waiting room. After all that he was like, well, you're fine. No diagnosable issues. LOL.

Thank you everyone! Had the first part..testing ..and meet with the dr on Saturday. I had to take a psychological test when I got hired into my job 13 years ago! Marriage and 2 kids later...little nervous...little more crazy now!