Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi! I am looking for anyone to give advice (both good and bad) about the surgery! I am one week preop and so excited. Also, Soo nervous. Would love to find some friends who are going through a similar situation? :)

I just had it done 6-18-2014 and I couldn't be happier. I have lost app 20 lbs if not more. I was nervous but I did it. I feel so good I went swimming for the first time in years. You will have to get used to your new diet. Just go by what the surgeon tells you, and you will be fine.. Prayers and hugs.....

I am 16 days out and 24 pounds down. Very happy with my decision to have the surgery.

When is your surgery? My surgery date is July 16th. I start my pre opt 7 day liquids tomorrow.

My surgery is July 22nd. Also nervous, and anxious. It seems like it has been an eternity. It is interesting that everyone seems to need to be on a liquid diet prior. I have not been told this or am I required to do so. Wonder why? My biggest fear is just what eating will be like after the fact. We (preops) have spent so much of our lives thinking about food, and now we have to focus even harder on thinking about food.

I haven't been put on a liquid diet either. Only low carb. I haven't lost much and I am wondering if they'll still do surgery if I don't lose weight. I go for my preop appointment this Wednesday and I am so anxious. Worried about not having food as a crutch anymore. Worried about the pain. But so excited to feel good again!

I haven't been put on a liquid diet either. Only low carb. I haven't lost much and I am wondering if they'll still do surgery if I don't lose weight. I go for my preop appointment this Wednesday and I am so anxious. Worried about not having food as a crutch anymore. Worried about the pain. But so excited to feel good again!

I would think you will be fine. My doc told me to only loose 10-15 lbs. because I was so close to the BMI used to qualify for insurance. I've heard that the rule of thumb is once you get your approvals you should try to lose as much weight as you can. 1) it helps you in the surgery itself as internal fatty deposits make it more difficult for the surgeon, and 2) you tend to be a little more limited on how much weight you will lose with the sleeve so the better head start you have the closer or quicker you get to your goal weight and beyond.

My other issue right now is that I have not had a lot of information about post op, diet, menu, foods, etc. given to me. I feel like I've been sort of on my own. My doc says they will give me information, but I really am sort of a planner, and I want to know what I need to have in-house, stockpile, etc. I don't want to do this by trial and error. I feel like there should just be more info out there on a sample weeks menu, or some lists of basic foods to have on hand. I'm not a nutritionist so my knowledge of all food type(most Proteins, etc.) has been limited I guess. Desperately searching through these forums for some good info.

Edited by jonlepel

I had to take many nutritional classes that were filled with information and the office I am going to has lots of Protein supplements and foods for sale. Have you taken the preop boot camp class? It's supposed to be very informative. I take that on Wednesday along with my preop appt. I have been struggling with eating the right foods simply because I feel like once the surgery happens I'll never be able to indulge again. I haven't gain weight however. Just maintained. I'm worried they won't let me have the surgery.

I had to take many nutritional classes that were filled with information and the office I am going to has lots of Protein supplements and foods for sale. Have you taken the preop boot camp class? It's supposed to be very informative. I take that on Wednesday along with my preop appt. I have been struggling with eating the right foods simply because I feel like once the surgery happens I'll never be able to indulge again. I haven't gain weight however. Just maintained. I'm worried they won't let me have the surgery.

Where do you take the preop boot camp? I've not heard of that or seen that anywhere. Is it an online thing?

I am taking it at the doctors office the day of my preop appointment. I've had to take many seminars and nutrition classes in order to get approved for insurance.

My BMI is 40 and I was placed on 2 two week Liquid Protein diet.

Hi my name is Jenna I introduced myself earlier in the thread! I'm on the Pre op liquid diet and I've lost 15lbs since the day I started (on 4th of July) my surgery is on Monday! But I have a problem...My best friend is throwing a surprise party for my other friend at a restaurant Saturday! Do y'all think that if I ordered a salad with shrimp or chicken on top it would be ok? Or should I just skip the party?

I would think you will be fine. My doc told me to only loose 10-15 lbs. because I was so close to the BMI used to qualify for insurance. I've heard that the rule of thumb is once you get your approvals you should try to lose as much weight as you can. 1) it helps you in the surgery itself as internal fatty deposits make it more difficult for the surgeon, and 2) you tend to be a little more limited on how much weight you will lose with the sleeve so the better head start you have the closer or quicker you get to your goal weight and beyond.

My other issue right now is that I have not had a lot of information about post op, diet, menu, foods, etc. given to me. I feel like I've been sort of on my own. My doc says they will give me information, but I really am sort of a planner, and I want to know what I need to have in-house, stockpile, etc. I don't want to do this by trial and error. I feel like there should just be more info out there on a sample weeks menu, or some lists of basic foods to have on hand. I'm not a nutritionist so my knowledge of all food type(most Proteins, etc.) has been limited I guess. Desperately searching through these forums for some good info.

I just had surgery the 3rd of July. I was on a two week diet of two Protein shakes a day (60 grams) of Protein and one meal that consisted of 3oz lean meat, 1 cup veggies and 1 cup of fruit, no bananas. I could have the fruit with meal as a snack or in my shakes. I could have the sugar free Popsicles and Jello I wanted. Just need to get as much fat off of liver as you can, it hard for surgeon to work safely (your safety) with a fatty liver.

I had to do the same when I had the lap band. It was unsuccessful so I converted to sleeve. I am so happy with !y decision. I have not been hungry nor have I taken pain meds since Sunday. Granted I am a little sore but not enough to take meds. My diet is a week of Clear liquids and Protein Shakes. chicken or beef or veggie broth. Week 2 I can add thicker Soups but no chunks of anything or fibers that could hang on staples. Week three I can add soft food, anything u can mash with fork. tuna, soft chicken, green Beans, etc. Scrambled or soft boiled eggs, just a few bites and she said I would be full. I have not been hungry, yes my mind would love a bite if something solid but stomach reminds my I'm really not hungry. I chewed up two cheeze nips crackers and spit them out. Satisfied my urge. Good luck on your journey. I'm so happy I a! Taking this route

I am soo excited that I went through and had the surgery done on July 3rd. I went for my first post-op Dr. appointment yesterday and everything went great. I had lost 3.5 lbs in 6 days! The only issue that I have had is the gas. The first day home from the hospital my upper arms & thighs felt like I had been working out. Not to mention the pain in my left shoulder. This is ALL from gas. I must have went through 2 boxes of Gas X and lots of walking, but I finally got rid of it! I am starting my pureed diet today. I bought several cans of Soup, added 1/2 scoop of Protein powder and then run it through my Nutri-Bullet. I found these little 2 oz containers at the Dollar Tree and they work perfect and are just the right amount. I filled, labeled, and froze them. I am mixing some Cream of Wheat, fruit, and Protein Powder for breakfasts. It only took me couple of hours and I probably have enough for the entire 2 weeks. I am using the Premier chocolate shakes because they have 30g of Protein. My daughter had her surgery done on Feb 27th and has lost 52 lbs so far. This is great encouragement for me and we share ideas too.