Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone. I am currently 16 weeks post surgery and I am currently down 63 pounds since my pre-op diet. I am getting married in November and I am planning to buy my dress in August. I know that I will have to buy off the rack instead of ordering it since it is such short notice but I have no idea what size to buy. Right now I am in a 16. I think I will be a 14 by August with no problems at all. Does anyone have suggestions?

Wedding dresses r about 2 sizes bigger than u actually wear. When I got married 2 1/2 yrs ago, I was 144 and wearing a size 8 jeans. They measured me at a 4 on the bottom and a 16 on top (yes, I have a freaky body). So my dress was a 16. Thought I had gotten out of double digits.

So don't freak out when they measure u and it comes out bigger than what u actually wear. I think it's standard wedding dress sizes. Make sure they will alter it for u in the future cuz ur bound to lose some between Aug and Nov. Good luck and CONGRATS!

25 years ago I bought my dress before inflated sizes. When I ordered it I was 195 at 5-10" and I ordered a 16. They wanted me to order the 18 but I was on a dedicated weightless plan. 3 months later I was 172 and when it was fitted they took it in a LOT to the point that it was more like a 12. Dress boutiques love to order large so they can make money on the alterations so don't worry if the number sounds big. They will make it fit! I have a cousin who needed even more alterations 2 days before her wedding and got them done not that I recommend that but if you get it fitted in September and get smaller you can get it altered again in October. Just find a seamstress who can accommodate your changing body.

I agree with BeagleLover, lace up instead of a zipper.

I went dress shopping last week. I found that I wore a 10 in most dresses at David's Bridal and a 6 in most dresses at Alfred Angelo. David's sizes like a typical bridal salon (2 sizes up) and Alfred does street size equivalents as I normally wear a 6. If it were me, I would start trying on dresses to know how the shop sizes their dresses and then order accordingly. One point of clarification, are you a 16 missy or 16 women's currently? If you are a missy now, I would guess your street size to be a 12 by wedding day. Congratulations on your upcoming wedding.

My daughter bought her wedding dress at David's & she lost more weight than she thought she would. As a result her dress was to big. David's made the necessary alterations & she looked wonderful. Dresses can always be altered down 1 or 2 sizes but you can't go up. Find the dress you want & ask about alterations. Happy wedding!

Thank you everyone for your responses. This is so helpful. I am size 16 misses currently. It makes me so nervous to spend so much money on something that doesn't fit me right now. Thanks again

congratulations on all your loss and your upcoming wedding. have you got a good seamstress in your area? that way she could make the dress closer to the time that you are going to marry and probably you can afford real silk too. try on various styles to get an idea what you like. ask around if any of your friends used someone good. wedding gown prices are super inflated. I have sewed all my life and it is the best way to get exactly what you want for less money and a great fit. good luck. love sara

ps for what I would pay for designer I could afford real silk and real pearls sewn on... just sayin.

I agree with Marfar. You may have to get a size or two larger than you actually wear. This past Sunday, 8/17/14 I went with my friend to look for a dress for her upcoming wedding. Although my friend is a size 10, her dress is a size 14 (she has big boobs).

I just got married a week ago and I bought a size 18 from David's Bridal (1 1/2 month before my wedding) and it was more than a little large on my wedding day ( i'm down to a 16 now) I chose to go with a padded bustier (i have no chest so this was needed for me anyway) and it held my dress up

How quickly have you been dropping the weight? If its steady, I would order the size you wear now and get it altered down to fit if you need it to. If its rapid, maybe 1 size smaller (once you have the corset-bra bustier thing on it cinches you down any way)

Good Luck and congrats on your upcoming wedding!

I sure don't know the answer to this but you might want to talk to a bridal shop and ask to see gowns that could be easily taken in. Then just be conservative in your guesses and have it fitted for you! This is so exciting! Yay for you!

I'm with scrap basket! Get a gown made! Cheaper and so personal! Love it. :)

Thanks everyone for responding. I went to try on dresses and picked an amazing one!! The first time I tried it on a 14 didn't zip all the way. The next time I went, two weeks later, the 14 zipped all the way and fit perfect. After talking with the head seamstress about my WLS she suggested that I buy a 10. That made me crazy nervous because in my mind I was thinking there is no way a 10 will ever fit me never the less in 3 months. So I bought a 12 and figured they could size it down. I went back this past weekend (3 weeks later) to pick it up and the 12 fit tight but zipped all the way. I am two months from my wedding. I go back for alterations in a month. It is crazy that the 10 might end up working….

I will post pictures after the wedding. What a crazy journey this has been. Never in a million years would I have though I would be buying a size 12 wedding dress and sizing down.

I love my sleeve

Thanks everyone for responding. I went to try on dresses and picked an amazing one!! The first time I tried it on a 14 didn't zip all the way. The next time I went, two weeks later, the 14 zipped all the way and fit perfect. After talking with the head seamstress about my WLS she suggested that I buy a 10. That made me crazy nervous because in my mind I was thinking there is no way a 10 will ever fit me never the less in 3 months. So I bought a 12 and figured they could size it down. I went back this past weekend (3 weeks later) to pick it up and the 12 fit tight but zipped all the way. I am two months from my wedding. I go back for alterations in a month. It is crazy that the 10 might end up working….

I will post pictures after the wedding. What a crazy journey this has been. Never in a million years would I have though I would be buying a size 12 wedding dress and sizing down.

I love my sleeve