Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi Guys,

How long and how much pain did your surgery cause? What meds did they give you?

I have an appointment in Mid July with a surgeon.

Thanks

My sleeve revision (was previously banded since 2009) was much more painful than banding. It took my dr an extra 30 mins to dig my band out of my stomach, causing much more discomfort than normal.

They gave me liquid Vicodin which was my buddy for about 12 days. For some reason, the liquid version is much better than the pills (which don't do much for my back pain).

AFter the 1st 2 weeks of feeling like I was hit by a truck, I felt much better. It's been a year and I don't even remember the pain. Now that I'm about 10 lbs from goal, even if I did remember it, it's still al worth it.

Ull do fine. Hang in there. Everyone gets thru it at some discomfort level. Some don't even use pain meds (which I don't get at all!)

Good luck!

I was lurking around on this site when I was pre-op, and was really more concerned about everyone's shoulder gas comments more than incisions and procedures. When I had my final pre-op surgeon's appointment, I asked him about what pain management he offers for the shoulder gas (which is caused by the CO2 they pump in you to create an air space for manpulating tools.) He told me that they would extact as much gas as possible before closing me up. Post-op, I had no shoulder gas at all.

Surgical pain was more limited to my biggest incision. I had a morphine drip in the hospital, and hydrocodone at home. No other issues with pain, just being careful to not lift anything over five pounds or over-exert my abs. If you can sleep in a recliner or prop yourself up for a few nights, that will help reduce any pain you might have with getting in and out of bed.

I had shoulder pain, but I had a huge hernia repair where lots of air was added to get to the hernia. This could be why so many have shoulder pain. A heating pad I slept with help huge. It was a shoulder wrap that turned off on its own. I love that thing and have next to bed. People should also walk a lot. The more you walk the less the pain in gas.

The only pain I felt was from the pressure of the leftover gas they pumped into me during surgery. Once I was back in the room and had my morphing drip, ****POOF****, the pain went away. :rolleyes:

The only other pain I experienced was later on, after I got home. I was unable to drink the liquid pain meds and I was feeling a lot of pain internally, but nothing from the incision sites. It took about 7 days to go completely away.

Here's me just minutes after I was wheeled back into the room post-op.