Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My surgeon was just arrested!

Seriously, my surgeon was booked for reckless driving and driving under the influence after crashing into a house. The news link is below, along with surveilance video of the crash.

I'm a pre-op patient awaiting insurance approval and now this happens. He just did my EGD last week!

At first I couldn't believe it, but now I'm fearful and angry. He does have 2 partners that will probably take me on as a patient, but I hope it doesn't delay my pending surgery.

http://www.kake.com/home/headlines/Doctor-arrested-after-crashing-into-house-265602731.html

Edited by April Biloxi

Wow, that really sucks. Just be glad you didn't have surgery with him though since he could be under the influence when operating.

@ WOW! Give the office a call and see if you can schedule with one of the other doctors. No matter where he ends up at this point, you are safe thank goodness!

Even if they push you back by a few days, it's better then the risk if this guy doesn't know right from wrong...Let us know how you fare with the other Dr.'s in the practice.

wow i agree with the above statements I would call the office and have my surgeon changed.

Am in the process of getting changed to his partner. I'm sure his license and hospital privleges will be suspended at the very least, so it's a no-brainer! If I was nervous before, I'm terrified now :blink:

Wowza! Just thank your lucky stars that this happened before your surgery and not afterward. You might never have known if he had alcohol in his system while he was operating on you.

Please try not to be too nervous. Don't let one bad apple ruin this experience for you. I'm sure his partners will take wonderful care of you. Good luck with everything; I hope this incident will be your only 'speed bump' during your journey. :)

Dang I've worked with him and he's a great guy and a good surgeon. Must have had a really, really bad day. Not such good judgement that day. I have to say that it's prob been 3-4 years ago since I worked with him and he was always appropriate and never made me question his sobriety. Wow. His partners will prob help you out to make sure you still get your surgery.

I am a criminal defense attorney. I can tell you that if this guy hasn't had a load of DUI's at this point, then he is probably is not a drunk and fine on the job. He made a poor choice for sure, but I certainly hope it doesn't ruin his life or practice. Everyone makes mistakes, let him take responsibility for it and move on. I am sure he will have to answer to the licensing board and work it out with them. Best of luck, but I would not freak out about it.

Absolutely, we are all human and make mistakes. This mistake just happens to be a deal breaker for me.

This is an issue of trust and I no longer trust this man with my body and my life.

OMG! This is wild! And I can imagine it adding to the pre-op jitters which we all experience. I don't know whether this helps or not, but I had never been an overnight patient in a hospital before and I'm 52. It was all so much better than I thought it would be. You will be taken care of by professionals and it's all over so quickly anyway and then you're recovering from laparoscopic surgery which is pretty great compared to other kinds if surgery. I detest going to the dentist and I compared it to that -- and I've only had one root canal. Eeek. I think I'd rather get another band!

I am a criminal defense attorney. I can tell you that if this guy hasn't had a load of DUI's at this point, then he is probably is not a drunk and fine on the job. He made a poor choice for sure, but I certainly hope it doesn't ruin his life or practice. Everyone makes mistakes, let him take responsibility for it and move on. I am sure he will have to answer to the licensing board and work it out with them. Best of luck, but I would not freak out about it.

I have to say that I agree with April, this would be a deal breaker for me too. I try not to be judgmental of people and for sure we all make mistakes. This is beyond making a poor choice though. Driving drunk is putting the lives of those you have taken an oath to help in harms way.

Yes under the influence judgement and choices are skewed, the poor choice this fella made was getting to that level of intoxication where he thought it was OK to put lives at risk.

Hopefully he will take some time off, reassess his choices while doing his penance for his actions according to the law. People are forgiving, but for now...I think it is totally justified for his patients to have a hair on fire reaction and schedule surgery with one of the associates.

Even if he is not a drunk, he certainly in no frame of mind after this incident to be performing major surgery on anyone.

Under the influence... geeze. And yet another reason I get squeamish when people say "my doctor said I could drink"...yeah, prob because he is an alcoholic him/herself.

Seriously, my surgeon was booked for reckless driving and driving under the influence after crashing into a house. The news link is below, along with surveilance video of the crash.

I'm a pre-op patient awaiting insurance approval and now this happens. He just did my EGD last week!

At first I couldn't believe it, but now I'm fearful and angry. He does have 2 partners that will probably take me on as a patient, but I hope it doesn't delay my pending surgery.

http://www.kake.com/home/headlines/Doctor-arrested-after-crashing-into-house-265602731.html

Wow he almost killed that lady trying to Water her flowers.......very unprofessional even though it was "off duty" you cant go around drunk driving into houses almost killing people, then want people to have surgery with you....glad u found out...good luck on your journey honey

I agree with all the above statements on one point or another. It is true, we are all human and make mistakes and should be forgiven. With that said. this is a surgeon and although he was off duty, it is very bad judgement and it is just one of those jobs that you are held to a higher standard.

It is too new and I would not want him for my surgeon either. He needs his time to get his head straight and decide what is more important to him. Loosing patients and $$$ is exactly the penalty that stops many others from abusing this law.

It is understandable you don't want it to postpone your lap-band plans. He let you down. Good luck, I am sure everything will work out and I hope it is quick.

Colleen

I know I should be serious here but your Surgeon is FINE! A dumbass but fine. I hope everything works out for you,