Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hungry or full? What am I feeling?

4 days post-op. I have no idea what these body messages are, so I don't know how to respond. Every tiny sip of liquid that I take makes me feel like I will explode. I walk it off, burp, and try again. Finally got 18 oz in today, but I have such strange sensations, anywhere from chest pains, to tightening, to "I think i will rupture" to old feelings of hunger pangs. I don't know if I should keep sipping or stop. Right now my mouth is so dry that I am frightened about dehydration. But I'm also frightened about over-pushing.

I really don't know what I am feeling!

Congrats and welcome to the best of your life!

When I was about 4-5 days post-op, I was almost exactly like you. NEVER hungry but tummy always growling. The feeling like you're going to burst is pretty normal, but if I had to guess I would say it's a decent indication that you're taking too big a sip each time. The day I left the hospital, I was getting ready to walk out the door, grabbed the mug they gave me, and -- without thinking -- took what used to be a normal gulp full of Water.

Big, big mistake.

If you haven't already, you might consider a "sippy cup" and realize that you are NOT expected to be able to drink 64 oz of Water per day at this point. 64oz is the goal, not the starting point. Just take a sip, sit down the glass, do something else. In a minute or so take a sip, rinse, repeat for the entire day.

The big thing here is to keep hydrated, and keep your throat wet throughout the day.

Drinking (and eating) more will come with time as your body heals and adapts to the massive change you've just gone through. Trust me, at 13 weeks or so out, I'm just now starting to deal with cravings again. Not like I'm really hungry. It's all in my head, but it's more like normal where I'd really just like a bite or two of my favorite foods. I order what I want, take a couple of bites, then make 3-4 meals out of the leftovers in a to-go box. It's all good.

What you're going through is the physically hard part right now. It gets much, much better.

Wayne

Thank you so much, Wayne. So do you think that I am experiencing the 'full' feeling? I take miniature sips, half of a baby spoon at a time, and then walk for about 5 minutes before trying again. That's how I endured 18 oz in 24 hours. As a new day dawns on me, I wonder if I am doing this wrong. I've been working on 4 oz for the past four hours.

The big point here is "don't freak out". Everyone who's gone through surgery has been exactly where you are now. Freaking out, questioning everything... I could point you to dozens of my own freak-out threads here in this very forum, but the fact is that you're doing fine.

Just rest, recuperate, and adjust right now. Understand that -- even if you desperately wanted -- right now, your body really won't let you "push" things. If you tried (which I know you won't), your body will definitely let you know you've been "bad".

Your goal right now is to recuperate, learn, and apply everything to the new life ahead of you.

Take care,

Wayne

Hi Latido - congrats on getting your surgery. Try to relax - you're doing fine. We all have weird body sensations while we're healing. I too had the pain in the chest / the need to burp or hiccup sensation when I was full. It takes several weeks to heal physically and in addition our brains need to learn how to respond to our new physical structure.

I totally agree with Wayne - small sips every few minutes is the answer. You will not rupture with Water :) From my experience, the worst that can happen is you will "overflow" - it's not really throwing up - just a mouthful comes back up because the pouch is full. So keep on sipping - you're doing great!

Hello I had my RNY on 6/24 and feel exactly the same way. I am on full liquids and after a few bites I am not sure if I am full or what. All I know is that I feel like I am going to bust. After I drink Water I feel a strange sensation in my chest and after a few seconds it goes away. I think this is normal. I have tried very hard to sip on Water or my Protein drink constantly through the day but have not had any where near 64 oz yet. I have felt a little better every day and hope it continues. I hope you feel better soon. Melissa

Wow, I'm feeling the love! It's gonna be a good day!

As a new day dawns on me, I wonder if I am doing this wrong. I've been working on 4 oz for the past four hours.

Nope. Nothing wrong. Your body is still healing. Bariatric surgery -- despite the 5 little incisions -- is a very, very big deal and for the first time in your life, your body is completely in "WTF!?!?!" mode trying to figure out exactly who "stole your pantry" (stomach) and what it should do about it.

Every person here is a little bit different in their reaction to the surgery, but it sounds like you're doing fine and right on schedule... The only thing I might suggest is that you make sure your nutritionist/doctor is in the loop, and seek their assurance that you can't do 64oz at the moment, but you're constantly keeping hydrated to the best of your ability. They'll let you know what they think, but again, sounds like you're ok.

Wayne

Edited by Wayne Hunt

OMG thanks for the laugh, that was so eloquently put.

I'm 4 weeks out and getting close to 60 on the Protein most days but I'm struggling with the liquids. I know I'm at least a little dehydrated but I swear I feel like I'm drinking all day long every day. I don't have any problems with how much I swallow at a time but it's just the constant remembering to drink. And, if I drink too big of a gulp, I feel a pain kind of thing around the stomach for just a minute or less.

Focus on drinking every minute you aren't having a shake or something with some calories. You'll get to where you can drink more but you really want to be sure you're getting as much as you can right now.

latido, I felt the same way too! In fact, I have still not reached 64 oz.! I told my doctor this last Friday and he said that's ok, just keep trying. He also told me that it is harder to drink very cold or hot liquids. I am trying room temperature Water (hate it) but it does seem to go down easier. You will get the hang of this soon, just give it time. You are also still full of air from the surgery. It takes a few weeks to get it all out. Hang in there.

Latido, learning to speak "pouch" following surgery takes some time. The key is being aware of the signals you're pouch is sending you and that is e x a c t l y what you are doing. Well done! This soon after surgery you're not sure what to make of the signals you're getting and that is absolutely normal - no one learns a new "language" in a few short days or even weeks. Just keep listening. Trust the process and trust your body. Before you know it, you'll be able to quickly interpret what your pouch is talking about. There will be times when it's quite adamant. Other times when it's more subtle. And still others when it seems to be babbling about nothing - lol. Some pouches (like mine) just seem to be more gabby than others.

Congratulations on your surgery! You're gonna love the new you!!

LOL! Given my fascination with psycholinguistics, I am delighted to add Pouch as my eight language to learn. Yippee!

Hi! I had RNY bypass on 6/25, and at 5 days out I'm feeling really great! I feel "gurgly" if that's even a word, lol... when I take small paced sips from my sippy cup. Yes, I actually bought sippy cups at the Walmart because I know I'm apt to gulp if I don't. I have to say that it's helped immensely. I just had 4 oz of Unsweetened almond milk with sugar free nesquik for my lunch and it went down great. I dare say it was even yummy compared to the Protein Drinks I've been having. Thank you for posting everybody, I love reading how everyone is doing. I can't wait until day 10, when I get a little more variety in my food options. :)

I love everybody's surgery/progress tickers, where do I get one?

Edited by KelliM73

That sounds yummy. How did you do it? Did you just sip until it all went down? I've been working on a yogurt for the past 7 hours. Every baby spoon (plus a ten minute walk) feels like I pigged out at the Dragon Buffet!