Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello everyone!

I just had my nutritional class and pre op testing on Monday. I met with an NP and she gave me my prescriptions. One was Vicodin and the other was for nausea. Should I have been given a script for antibiotics? After prior weight loss (years ago, since regained double what I lost) I had a breast augmentation and lift. I know it's a different operation and there was a lot more cutting, but once I got home I questioned if I should have been given some type of antibiotic.

Also, were any of you required to crush your pills into applesauce or just not take anything bigger than an m&m?

Lastly, I have a microdermal piercing on my wrist. I keep forgetting to tell them about it. (I really should have made a list before my appointment) and the base is an implant that would have to be cut out. Should I go ahead and have it removed or has anyone else had an experience with piercings?

Thanks All!

When I had my surgery they all recommended for me to crush all my pills and mix in applesauce. But I did thsi for first 6 months after and then I went back to breaking the big pills in half an dusing lots of Water to swallow. I've had NO impacts. I still use chewables in my mineral and Vitamins. I was prescribed liquid vicodin right after surgery and I only used 1 tablespoon the first night to help me sleep. I didnt need it after 24 hours. In fact I drove to a weight reduction metting at my local hospital the next day after my lapband surgery.

But everybody is different in recovery. But our common goal is basically the same, better health and lose weight.

I am surprised she didn't prescribe me a liquid Vicodin. I was confused because my discharge instructions said to take chewable vitamins but to break any other medications in half or I had the option to crush it up and put it in applesauce. Would it be safer for me to crush them up?

you can crush, break, or even chew. you will be surprised how many pills have no taste. the only Rx you can't do this to is time released medication. Vicodin has hardly no taste to it so just chew it up and follow with sips of Water. the pills will dissolve fairly quickly , even in your pouch. if you have pills that are really big discuss this with you PCP or the doctor who ordered it and ask if there is any other pills that you can take that are smaller but do the same job. I was surprised how many big pills I was able to change over. your pharmacist can help you too! everyone is a team member.

I had surgery on the 20th (June) and I recall the nurses saying something about antibiotics then, I got it the day of surgery.

Edited by Colleen C

When I had my surgery last year, they gave me liquid medication. But I would just crush it up. And also, about the piercing, I ran into a similar situation. They want any & all piercings removed. I would go ahead & see about that. It's better to be safe than sorry. And good luck! You'll love the changes you're soon to see in yourself! Happy Banding!

Congratulations on your upcoming surgery! If there are things you wished you had talked about at your appointment, call them up and discuss by phone. They are there for you! I was given a prescription for liquid narcotics which I filled just in case but ended up not needing. As said above, we are all different in that regard. One thing I'm really glad I did was up my exercise prior to surgery. I didn't want to but I did it and I'm pretty sure all the walking I did pre and post-surgery helped kick the body into healing mode. And shedding mode! Best wishes to you. Get all your questions answered by your medical professionals so you are not worrying about anything.

You will have some antibiotic in the hospital but you should not need anything after that unless you develop an infection.

I have never needed to crush up my medications, I take them all just fine and some are very large pills. I would take them one at a time if you are taking more then one thing just to be sure they go down and clear the stoma that is created by the band after surgery.

You are going to be swollen inside and though you won't feel it you need time to heal, if you like you can take your pills with some warm beverages or you can crush them up. Don't break or crush up time release pills as mentioned above, if your not sure check with the pharmacist they will know what can be broken/crushed and what can not.

Congrats on your surgery! Let us know how you are doing.

Every doc is different. Every patient is different.

My surgeon had me fill a pile of scripts before my operation. A liquid pain killer (which I ended up not needing and never even opening) fast dissolving anti nausea med, a liquid antibiotc that I had to take for a week after my surgery. (That sh*t was soooo nasty!) My usual meds are smaller tablets that I was able to keep on keeping on with, I knocked them in half for the first couple of weeks, just to be on the safe side but that crap got old and I got bored with it and I just started knocking them back en masse, once again. :lol:

My Vitamins present a challenge, now. I take a horse pill multi that I knock in half, swallow the halves at the same time, drink a huge cup of hot coffee to dissolve it, then start taking the rest of them, a couple of minutes apart, interspersed with more Water and coffee. I finish with my dissolvables as a treat. :P

Thanks for the information everyone! I read these forums for a couple of hours everyday and I have learned so much from all of you. All of your success stories and honesty helped make my decision to have the lap band. You are a wonderful group of people!

Hello all. I too am trying to get a grip on what I should expect and what I will need. So from what I can tell we are told to take a chewable multi-Vitamin, liquid pain meds, and possibly something for nausea.

I read on a post surg. forum that we should not be taking NSAIDs. What are the alternatives aside from tylenol. I usually take Ibuprofen at Migraine onsets to keep from having to take something stronger. I know this is something I will discuss with my primary and surgeon, I just want to know what to expect.

I am still unclear if we are given antibiotics. This question is important to me for personal reasons. I had one other question concerning the Vitamin. What are the main minerals that this vitamin should include. I currently take a chewable pre-natal vitamin (not for pregnancy) but for additional minerals

Can anyone shed a little light here?

Every Dr is different .I was told to take 2 Flintstones chewables everyday and 1000 mg of Biotin to help minimize Hair loss later .I was not given antibiotics. For me the incision sites were easily managed with a large icepack and a heat pad for shoulder pain. I tell everyone now to take your pain meds. Its easier to stay out of pain that to get out of it. Some meds I have to grind up. The worst for me was day 3 . I'm not quite 2 weeks post op and i

Every Dr is different .I was told to take 2 Flintstones chewables everyday and 1000 mg of Biotin to help minimize Hair loss later .I was not given antibiotics. For me the incision sites were easily managed with a large icepack and a heat pad for shoulder pain. I tell everyone now to take your pain meds. Its easier to stay out of pain that to get out of it. Some meds I have to grind up. The worst for me was day 3 . I'm not quite 2 weeks post op and i feel really good. Congratulations to everyone coming up on your surgery dates. God bless.

Sorry about that..didn't mean to send the first post.