Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Almost 1 month after operation - losing more than 1lb per day

I am very excited to share my very positive results and feedback almost 1 month after my band surgery. The stats:

Male 6'3". Age: 45

Date of surgery: May 29, 2014

Day of surgery weight: 335 lbs

Weight today at checkup: 301 lbs

Total loss in first 28 days: 34 lbs!!!!

Average loss per day: 1.21 lbs

Other key bonuses:

- Blood Pressure back to normal - stopped BP medication - BP went from averaging 145/92 w/ meds to 121/78 w/o meds

- sleep Apnea improved dramatically - going on 6 days w/o CPAP - wife reports little to snoring or apnea - feel fully rested

I was told by my Dr. that these results are about as good as one could expect after 1 mo. - I am absolutely thrilled!!! I realize this rate of loss will not realistically continue - but I think I am on the right track for success down he road. I have been very consistent with my cardiovascular work out since about 1 week following the surgery. I am doing 40 to 60 minutes of high intensity cardio 6 days a week (treadmill running, fast elliptical) burning 600 - 800+ calories per session. I have begun to integrate weight lifting in this week - mostly machine and cable work... free weight work begins next week. I am also doing a hot vinyasa yoga class 2-3 week with my wife.

As for food intake... I was told I didn't need a fill, they will evaluate it next month, but with this level of results - I nay never need a fill. That was surprising to me. At any rate, the no fill allows me a very treat latitude on what I am able to eat. I have steered clear of all bread items and I am very careful to eat only small pieces of chicken, pork and fish. But many things that I was told could be problematic - I have no trouble with. I eat lots of salads, fish, Soup, vegetables, fruit. yogurt, cottage cheese. Even Cajun food and Thai foods have been no issue. My go to snack is a spoon of Peanut Butter - keep it in the fridge and you can kind of suck on it for 10 mins or so. I don't drink soda pop, but I do drink BEER and sometimes quite a few of them in social settings. I have had 0 problems with the carbonation in beer. And I DO definitely cheat.. I eat the toppings off pizza, Skyline chili, Pasta, cheese and lots of other little gems - but I just don't eat much volume.

I know the Lap Band is a tool and Losing 60-80 lbs (and keeping it off) will be a journey. But I am just thrilled at the relative ease I have had with it during the initial month. I thought it would have a drastic effect on my life - but it simply doesn't. It has been an easy adjustment for me. A lot of that has to do with the fact that I did my research and I was READY to do it. I know that, without any type of a fill - I could eat chips and dip, ice cream, candy, mashed potatoes and gravy, French fries... And end up heavier than I was before... but I know that I'm didn't have some one cut into my abode men to turn around and try and beat the system. There is not beating the system - if you are thinking like that... DO NOT consider the Lap Band. But if you are READY - this is an amazing tool to help you achieve your goals! And it WILL NOT change your life so drastically - you will still have fun and enjoy the pageantry of food and the entertainment of dining with friends.

I anyone considering the surgery and has questions - I will be happy to share my experiences.

Till next time,

KNAPPTOWN357

Good for you, friend! You are working out like a gladiator & already seeing the rewards. You sound so happy! I'm happy for ya! I hope I can exercise a fraction of what you do. I'll have to start out slowly & build my way up to normal exercise. I pray I can do it. I really want to. I might have to pay the kids as personal trainers. Whatever it takes. I plan to be more organized so I won't have an excuse not to work out. I'm going to start visualizing it. Thanks for sharing your great success!

I also have not had any fills and it is as you say, a double-edged sword because we can eat anything and it will go down. For me, that means I have to be even more diligent because I can eat unhealthy and in larger volumes.

My experience is that it takes at times, a little longer to feel satiety so I have to be listening closely or I'll miss the signs and go right to uncomflortable. Plus it doesn't take much to get there.

Just the other day, I was out to lunch with a friend and we ordered a chicken quesedilla. I ate one quarter of it...which is typical but then I decided to take another small piece from another quarter. It wasn't much, but after I ate it, I knew I shouldn't have. I was too full the rest of the day and by dinnertime, I was still uncomfortable.

Since I was out again for dinner, I took very small...and I mean really small portions of the meal and called it a day.

I'm glad you are doing so well so soon out...I'm just going to caution you on the beer...just make sure the carbonation is OK with the doctor, and remember...alcohol is empty calories. I drink too...but in moderation.

Best wishes on your continued success!

Knapptown, sounds like you are doing great. keep on keeping on!

What a great post! Congratulations on turning your life around. Isn't it great having the appetite dimmed? And you are really rocking the exercise -- cardio, weights, yoga, Wow! I'm pretty sure exercise is the secret to success, and listening to the body. Good for you forgoing all bread items and figuring out what works for you. Just think, at your next doctor's visit you will be in the two hundreds. Way to go!

Congratulations!!!! what a way to go.It is good you decided to take the decision of going through the Lap band surgery to turn your life around.Leading a healthy life and opting for the healthier options is always going to help you in the long run.At the rate you are exercising and are trying to lose weight,even your doctor is in for a surprise.Well, keep up the good work and best of luck for a healthier future.

Congrats!! Keep the great mindset especially without having a fill. I'm at 7cc in a 10cc band and STILL I sometimes find myself going back to old habits. Back on track now. You are doing great keep it up!! :D