Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What is taking so long?

I had my bypass done in April and feel like the weight is barely trickling off me. I gained 30 pounds the first week post op and finally took that off. I've been losing only an average of 2 pounds per week and am now questioning why I even had this surgery. I had lost more on Weight Watchers, Jenny Craig and a variety of other diets. I was told that the biggest loss will come in the first 3 - 6 months. I'm worried that this 2 pound per week loss will be the height of my success if this is my prime period to lose. I'm feeling awfully depressed and sorry for myself. If anyone could offer any advice, I'm be very grateful.

2 lbs a week is 2 lbs a week...Where is the problem with that!? There are a lot of people who would give their right arm for that to happen.

Please do not be tied to the scale. Stay on program and weigh in less often. Like only at the doctors office.

This is about health and well being..Not about numbers or what the scale tells you.

How do you feel? How are your clothes fitting you. Any NSV even small ones....Those things tell the real story not I lost 2 lbs this week! :)

I only weigh myself once a week at the doctor's office so I'm not tied to the scale but I must admit the slow losses are taking their toll on me.

I would begin to focus on one day at a time if you are eating correctly and exercise daily the weight will come off I agree with the other feedback how do you feel on general I am. 5 weeks post opt and down 30 pounds I'm off diabetic medications . Good luck

"I was told that the biggest loss will come in the first 3 - 6 months." I'm not really sure what that even means, much less if it can be considered a "rule" that applies to one and all. I am sure that I lost 130 lbs in just under 14 months.

"I've been losing only an average of 2 pounds per week and am now questioning why I even had this surgery." Only? Barely trickling off? There are 4.3 weeks in a month. 4.3 weeks x 2 pounds per week = 8.6 pounds per month. Or 103 pounds lost in twelve months. When was the last time you lost more than 100 pounds in 12 months?

Success starts with realistic expectations. Nothing will sabotage your efforts, not to mention your mindset, more quickly than unrealistic expectations. Stay positive. Stay patient. Stay focused on following the protocol as closely to the letter as you possibly can. Exercise to your ability. Maintain a food log. That's your plan. Regardless of what your weight is doing, follow your plan. Sometimes you're going to lose quickly. Other times more slowly. And occasionally, you won't lose at all for a period of time. In each of those scenarios, your response is a l w a y s the same - follow your plan. Don't over complicate it. Don't second guess it. Don't rationalize it. Just do it.

Allow your body to find its own way in its own time. Trust the process. Your goal is physical change but your challenge is mental discipline. Recognize that. Accept that. Embrace that. And before you know it, you're gonna love the new you!

Edited by DLCoggin

I had my bypass done in April and feel like the weight is barely trickling off me. I gained 30 pounds the first week post op and finally took that off. I've been losing only an average of 2 pounds per week and am now questioning why I even had this surgery. I had lost more on Weight Watchers, Jenny Craig and a variety of other diets. I was told that the biggest loss will come in the first 3 - 6 months. I'm worried that this 2 pound per week loss will be the height of my success if this is my prime period to lose. I'm feeling awfully depressed and sorry for myself. If anyone could offer any advice, I'm be very grateful.

As of yesterday I'm 2 months out from surgery. I had been told by other people who have had the surgery that the weight would just 'fall off.' Well, I can't say it's just 'falling off' for me; I'm down 36 pounds in two months but had been reading about people who had far greater losses in similar time frames. I had those moments of regret remembering that I've lost this amount with conventional diets in the past. The thing to remember, though, is how many times in my life have I lost this 36 pounds? Over and over and over! It might be coming off a little slower than I expected but I have hope now that this will be the last time I lose this weight!

My suggestions are gonna follow alot already listed.

1. Log all food.

2. Adequate Protein

3. Water.... body store fat if dehydrated.

4. Change up ur routine ....excersize never stops.....always change it up.

Since DL told.me to log food..... I have lost 23lbs preop and have surgery Tues. Good luck and God bless.

My suggestions are gonna follow alot already listed.

1. Log all food.

2. Adequate Protein

3. Water.... body store fat if dehydrated.

4. Change up ur routine ....excersize never stops.....always change it up.

Since DL told.me to log food..... I have lost 23lbs preop and have surgery Tues. Good luck and God bless.

Misty, I cannot tell you how much I appreciate your comment. There is no "one size fits all". But there is also no feeling in the world like someone saying they tried something you are passionate about and it helped them in their journey. It may seem like a small thing but for me, it's a big deal. Thank you for your kind words!

Thanks everyone for your insight. I'm already doing everything that has been suggested. Lots of Water, Protein, exercise, logging food and nothing seems to help. I'm only having about 700 calories a day now and still I'm only losing about 1 pound a week. I've talked to two different dieticians and they both tell me I'm doing everything right. I cry every time I think about it so at least I'm losing Water weight, I suppose.