Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

13 months out - normal capacity?

I am about 13 months out and questioning my capacity. I am super hungry about 2-3 hours after I have eaten. Even if my meal was solid Protein. For dinner I ate about 8oz of steak and 1/2 a small baked potato.

My hunger kicked in about 2 months ago. Not sure if it was caused by 1) I started working out about 6 hours a week. Had not done this before 2) I stopped taking my Migraine med (topamax, I am told it can suppresses appetite) or 3) this is normal??

I hit my doc's goal at about 6 months(180) and my goal (155) at 9 months. I have been fluctuating between 151-155 since February. I am so afraid to gain weight back but I do not want to starve my body either. My doc has been adamant that I intake 1200+ calories since day one.

I'm three years out and suffering the same faith although I eat very little when I do eat probably 2 ounces. But I'm hungry two the three hours later. For me it's been that way for about a year. I haven't gained any weight back just fluctuates between five pounds. You just have to watch what you eat and drink plenty of Water to help keep you full.

Linkin,

What sort of workouts are you doing? Cardio shouldn't really increase your appetite that much. But weight lifting would leave your body craving substantial amounts of Protein and carbs. meat would definitely curb your hunger.

Everyone is different, but 8oz of lean Protein steak sounds reasonable as long as your sleeve tolerated and slowed the consumption.

I am pretty much the same way, BTW I am thirteen months out as well

I find if I eat until I am full and not just eat to eat and not fill up. I get like that.

I think that when that happens to you that you are UNDEReating your sleeve.

I eat until I start to fill my restriction or hickup. If I eat the small amount that is on my plate, I will be ready to eat in a couple hours afterwards. And after I eat, I wait 30-45 minutes and then I get something to drink. Most times you definately will not eant to eat anything else

I am usually close to 1200 calories a day. Thank god you got off the Topamax...bad stuff-

i still have lots of restriction... 11.5 months PO. i ate half a chicken salad sandwich. prob 3-4 ounces chicken, 3/4 a small slice rye bread, tiny Tomato slice. i was FULL. and full for the next 3-4 hours. tried to drink Water a few hours later... still full!

are you gaining weight?

Having the same problem. I burn 1200 calories running a day (7 miles) and I'm wondering if I'm not eating enough calories? Also noticed no weight loss.

I am skating (roller derby) for 2 hours x3 a week. I would think it is a lot of cardio but some strength also. I haven't gained any weight but I do fluctuate the same few pounds from week to week (for 3 months now).

I am skating (roller derby) for 2 hours x3 a week. I would think it is a lot of cardio but some strength also. I haven't gained any weight but I do fluctuate the same few pounds from week to week (for 3 months now).

What is roller derby if u don't mind me asking?

Not sure how to describe it....it is a competitive game where you skate in a group trying to pass members of the other team. There is a lot of contact to block or knock out members of the other team. Aggressive skating.

I've never sweated so much in my life!

I just posted my frustration over not losing any weight for 6 months. I may not be eating enough but I tend to snack because I feel hungry often. I am beginning to see my cholesterol climbing because I can eat so much chicken and meat. I still try to drink one Protein Shake a day. I still love my chocolate premier shakes. I can usually get in 90 grams of Protein a day. I was trying to stay below 45 grams of carbs but have been blowing that recently. I also eat about 1000 calories a day.

What suggestions do some almost a year out have for me?

When I hit the one year mark my appetite came back with a vengeance. I still have restriction (I'm about 18 months out from surgery). I had very little appetite/hunger for that first year - I sure wish it had stayed that way.

I find if I avoid sugar I am not as hungry. So while I do not restrict good carbs I do restrict added sugars. I also avoid eating anything sweet in beginning of day because that will start sugar monster.

I think when you exercise you need to eat most of those cals back to avoid stalling. I have been on 1300 cals a day since 3 months out and I would eat back at least half my exercise cals on top of that.

I am now entering maintenance at 1400 a day so far and am adding in some fruit and 2-3 pieces bread a week. I still eat back at least half my exercise cals though so most day eat around 1700 cals. I may add more cals if I keep losing. I am 16 months out.

My rules I focus on especially if struggling:

Avoid added sugars - keep under 25g per day

No grazing. Space eating 3 hours apart.