Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My surgery was June 2 . I also gain weight when in the hospital . I was losing weight until last week I stop . It is so frustrating . Especially when people ask you how much have you lost ? When you tell them them I haven't weighted in a couple of days . They just look at you like ( I know your going to fail at this ) , it makes me so mad . But after reading some of the comments . I feel better and I hope the weight will start coming off aging .

My surgery was June 2 . I also gain weight when in the hospital . I was losing weight until last week I stop . It is so frustrating . Especially when people ask you how much have you lost ? When you tell them them I haven't weighted in a couple of days . They just look at you like ( I know your going to fail at this ) , it makes me so mad . But after reading some of the comments . I feel better and I hope the weight will start coming off aging .

I also have people in my ear hoping that the surgery doesnt work for me

@2cute2bbig I had surgery on the 9th and I was SO tired the first 2 weeks. I also developed pneumonia so I'm sure that contributed. But, now, 2 weeks out, it's like a switch flipped and I feel SO much better! One thing I have done is to be sure I'm getting 7-8 hours of sleep a night and I've been sneaking in a nap almost every day when I can. My work has a nursing mother's room with a nice couch, so I just reserve 30 minutes in there and set my phone alarm. Makes me feel SO MUCH better!

The energy will kick in soon -- just hang in there and rest when you feel like you need to. I was very active up til surgery -- working out with weights 3-4 times a week, lifting heavy, walking every couple of days including 1.5 hours every Sunday afternoon with a group. So, to go from that to laying on the couch and not feeling like standing up to go to the bathroom was pretty dramatic. But it's slowly coming back.

Best wishes!

Tuesday i will be 3 weeks post op.....its so hard...i wanna exercise but im so weak most of the time although i take my required Vitamins.

Just for the record, I'm now 11 weeks out from surgery and for the first 6-8 weeks, I was ALWAYS weak and tired as my body struggled to adjust to the change from 2000+ calories a day to under 400 calories a day (all protein)...

Once you go mushy, then regular, your strength will return and you'll feel a lot more like "you". My weight loss has really gone down as I've progressed from liquid to mushy to regular food and I'm now losing about 1/4 pound a day (on average) but the important thing is, the scale is still moving downward, and that's a helluva thing for me.

If you have questions, ask. We've all been there and we're all here to help, but as others have suggested, your doctor's office and/or a support group meeting might be the better face-to-face option.

(I always feel like an idiot when I ask newbie -- usually what I consider silly -- questions, or point out things, but I'm very glad to have the validation of my local support group...)

Wayne

I also have people in my ear hoping that the surgery doesnt work for me

Just so you understand, "people" suck... :)

"People" around you, even friends and family, sometimes don't know how to be supportive. They also have to deal with both their own weight issues and in some cases find it easier to try and "sabotage" you than fix their own mess.

WLS changes things. You. Your body. Your mindset. Your relationship with food. Your relationship with other people. Some changes are phenomenal. Some changes are difficult.

The trick is the realization that you decided to make this change for yourself. You may have to work to assure other people that you're still the same "you" but if they're truly friends, you'll all find a way...

For me, it's been interesting because pre-op, I was a standing, daily member of the "lunch crew". Now, I have to actively ask them to participate because it seems like they're afraid to invite me to lunch. Our relationship has changed in that respect because we had food as a primary "interface"... Now, I have to assure them that -- while I might eat tiny bits -- I still do eat food.. :)

At my last support group meeting, a fellow attendee said "WLS doesn't automatically change your relationship with food".. I would politely disagree. Before surgery, I ate what, when, and how much I wanted but now food and I tend to disagree a lot more when I misbehave... :)

Food and I have gone from a "love affair" to a "tolerated roommate" scenario, and that's not a bad thing..

Wayne

Great post Wayne!!! And so true.

People tend to apologize to me if they eat food, mention food, that sort of thing. I just laugh and say that I DO eat! lol. It's so weird that they keep apologizing.

I'm also finding that people were using me as a crutch before when it comes to physical activity. If a bunch of us would go do something--shop, walk for exercise, whatever, I used to have to sit down each lap or periodically because my back would start hurting. Now, my back doesn't hurt and I have so much energy that I don't even think about sitting down. One of them finally said that they miss my breaks because they needed them, too. Again, I had to laugh and tell them that they can initiate a break any time they want.

I stepped on 3 different scales today and i am 2 lbs fro my weight on the day of surgery....i am in tears. Im afraid that this surgery isnt gonna work for me... I wanna exercise but im always exausted....im disgusted

So it's been a long while how are you doing now?

Yes please update us. I just know that I feel better every single month! I have lost 104 pounds! almost 9 months out. I could never have done it with out the RNY. So blessed to have made this decision. Hoping you are feeling better as well.

I agree with the above statement do not be so hard on yourself you did not gain weight overnight, you are retaining fluids, the weight will come off focus on one day at a time. You can do this you got this,and remember it can take 6 to 8 weeks for your body to heal.