Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Unsure what's going on...

Hi everyone,

I would like to share something I have just started experiencing and wondering if anyone has any similar situations.

This has been a tougher week for me. I had some diarrhea issues earlier in the week. On Friday I was having some vomiting issues.

The real concern is last night around 4 am I woke up with SEVERE pain in my lower right abdomen radiating to my back. I was unable to get relief with my heating pad or repositioning... I finally caught up with some pain meds which allowed me to rest for a few hours... Now it's kicking in again.

I can't honestly remember my last BM. In the first few weeks of surgery I was tracking that more closely.

Has anyone had Constipation resulting in this much pain?

I was concerned if this is related to my appendix or a bowel obstruction...

I'm passing a little gas but not much... Yesterday I ate my three meals and drank a lot of Water and everything stayed down.. So I feel like if it was a bowel obstruction I would be vomiting after every intake.

Let me know thoughts please. Thank you!

Definitely talk to your doctor. When did you have surgery?

I know I had something a bit different--no diarrhea or vomiting but felt like I had and it felt like someone had kicked me in the stomach. I left work to go to the ER (and I NEVER leave work early!!). Spent about 7 hours there and they ran all kinds of tests. They didn't find anything. From this list, I heard that it can be when food moves past the part of the insides that is stitched up that it can hurt really bad. But, it is always best to err on the side of caution and call your doctor and/or go to the ER. Your symptoms are different enough. and it's just the right thing to do. It can be scary!

How would you describe the pain? Sharp.. Dull..Passing gas is a good sign but id rec a stool softener at the very least and making sure you are hydrated.

Is the pain diffuse? Are you on ursodiol or. Do you still have your gallbladder. Ruq pain radiating to back can indicate gallstones. Has the pain gone away?

Thank you all for your responses.

The pain is very localized. More on my RLQ and radiating to my back... Which made me think appendix.

I do have my gallbladder and am taking the medication to prevent the gallstones. When I was reading online it seemed like that would most likely be pain on my RUQ/shoulder area.

The pain subsided after taking Tylenol and oxy that I had from my surgery. But now it's kinda creeping back.

I am working on drinking a glass of Miralax.< /p>

The pain that woke me up was more sharp than dull, but just Very intense. Now it's kinda on the dull side but I have a feeling it will intensify.

I just wish I could have a BM to see if that does the trick or if it persists...

If it gets to the point where it did last night I'll have no choice but to go to the ER. Otherwise either way I'm gonna call my surgeon tomorrow. I decided to not take any more meds bc I don't want to keep covering an underlying problem with meds, especially when it's been apparent that it's kept coming back throughout the day.

This is really discouraging and scary to me :(

I had the same pain- although mine wasn't as severe- just constant. Went to the chiropractor because I thought the pain was originating from my back. Turns out after many days of taking dulcolax that it was all related to Constipation. I fought it for almost 2 weeks, just wish I would have figured it out sooner. Also realized that my pre surgery diet didn't include much cheese/ cottage cheese and I had started to eat a lot of that. I watch it a lot closer now. Also- this problem started at about 2 weeks post op from gastric bypass. Hope you get relief soon!