Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm still pre-op BUT need insight and encouragement

When you say work the plan , you mean just takes your sips of Water and drink your 2oz of Protein shakes and not venture on to other food that's not on the list

Your doctor should give you a plan. The first month is a little rough. You do have to sip, sip, sip to get your Water in. Definitely work on getting your Protein in too. But don't progress faster than you are suppose to. Don't eat things you know aren't healthy. Always eat your protein first & stop eating when you feel full. Don't "graze" all day, cause you will definitely eat too much. My doctor also suggests no bread, rice, Pasta or potatoes for a year. I'm 4 months out & it's easier to get off track now. I could eat anything, but everything is not a good idea (even in small amounts).

If you weren't given a plan, let me know. I will share mine with you. It progressed slowly over 6 weeks. It's definitely doable.

Best of luck!

Though I am not yet sleeved, I may want a copy of your plan (in future). I am not certain that my doctor gives one... I think there are 'generalized' guidelines, but I know from one of the pre-op nutrition meetings, they mentioned having potatoes and some small starches, which I try to avoid because I am diabetic. I may find out more in general, this Friday I have my pre-op class.... so I will find out more.... BUT... long story short, I would love to have a copy of your plan... (when the time comes) =)

My sister lost 220 lbs...so, it IS possible. She is 5'4 and she looks amazing. Good luck!

Thank you for sharing this! It is a great encouragement... thanks =)

Just wanted to say, Thank You! to ALL who posted/ replied. This truly is helpful! =)

Angie-2014 just let me know. Chocolate48diva I will try to send you something by tomorrow. Not sure I will be home til late today.

Angie-2014 just let me know. Chocolate48diva I will try to send you something by tomorrow. Not sure I will be home til late today.

The more I think about it, I would love to have a copy, if you wouldn't mind sharing it. I will let you know when it is closer to my surgery date. (as I don't want to read it ahead of time, so as to not overwhelm myself) =)

Hi there.

Great responses above...Here's my story.

When I started looking at WLS surgery, I wanted to get down to 150 pounds - that was my goal. One doctor (whom I really didn't like), said I would probably "settle in" at 180. I asked him how he came up with that number. He said, "Averages" My reply was, "I am not going to give this an "average" type of effort, so I will lose more."

Here is what I have found, after losing 70+ pounds so far...My goal of 150 isn't as important as it was before. My body is different at 185 pounds than it was years ago at the same weight. I attribute that to losing fat this time. I can wear a smaller size now at 185 than before at 185.

I still want to get to 150 pounds, but the number isn't as important to me as it was when I started. My life is awesome at the weight I am currently - I'm more active, I'm happier, I do things now I wouldn't have done 70 pounds ago (ski lift ride and Alpine slide last weekend, hiking the weekend before that). I have gotten my life back and that feels pretty wonderful.

@@Bufflehead -- You look amazing! What tremendous progress--thank you for sharing your pics!

60% is the average and where surgeons consider it a success.

Where you consider it a success is up to you.

If you give it an average effort you will get average results. If you give it above average effort you will get above average results.

For example I would assume average effort is getting 60g Protein, mild exercise 3 times a week, and tracking most of the time.

Above average effort would be 60-90g Protein, limiting carbs and sugar, and moderate and strength training 3-5 times a week and tracking all the time.

You also have to be prepared to change things up once in a while. Try a different exercise, eliminate trigger foods, listen to why you eat and address underlying issues. You also need to CHOOSE to do this with every food and exercise decision every day to the point that it becomes quite routine. You also need to pick yourself up and start over after stumbling. Yes you will stumble so have a strategy to get back on the wagon.

I am down 130 lbs. Never did I think I would get here. I can still lose more IF I WANT but it may not be in my best interest because even though 184 lbs at 5-10 tall I may lose muscle instead and at age 48 going below 21% body fat may not be good.

I started out at 315. I was 295 at surgery. For 9 months I tracked every bite, ate 1300 calories with at least 75 protein and my exercise was about 3 walks a week. The first 3 months was 500-800 cals. I lost about 85 pounds down to 210 in that 9 months. I remember in the 230s I wondered wow can I actually get to the 190s. Was it possible. Weight loss was getting slow. After I got to the 210s I decided to push to get to 199. 6 months ago I started using my gym membership and signed up for personal training 2x week for 6 months. This was very expensive but I was determined. It seemed like forever but I finally got to 199 in about 2 months. Then I left my comfort zone again and joined a spin class. I started to do spin 2x week also. So now I have 6 days a week exercise including the 2 walking days. Since going to the gym 6 months ago I surpassed my overall goal of 187 and I can keep losing if I still want to on 1400 cals a day.

So to answer your question, there is no limit to weight loss. My surgeon considered me a success story at 235 lbs. But no way was I stopping there.

Hi there.

Great responses above...Here's my story.

When I started looking at WLS surgery, I wanted to get down to 150 pounds - that was my goal. One doctor (whom I really didn't like), said I would probably "settle in" at 180. I asked him how he came up with that number. He said, "Averages" My reply was, "I am not going to give this an "average" type of effort, so I will lose more."

Here is what I have found, after losing 70+ pounds so far...My goal of 150 isn't as important as it was before. My body is different at 185 pounds than it was years ago at the same weight. I attribute that to losing fat this time. I can wear a smaller size now at 185 than before at 185.

I still want to get to 150 pounds, but the number isn't as important to me as it was when I started. My life is awesome at the weight I am currently - I'm more active, I'm happier, I do things now I wouldn't have done 70 pounds ago (ski lift ride and Alpine slide last weekend, hiking the weekend before that). I have gotten my life back and that feels pretty wonderful.

Thank you so very much for sharing this. I can relate a lot to what you shared, I am glad to have a goal set in mind, but mainly I will try not to get caught up with numbers. My main goal is to regain my health and quality of life... don't get me wrong, I also want to lose the weight too... but I believe it will all come together in this journey.

Thanks for sharing your experience, it is an encouragement.

Sincerely, Angi

If you give it an average effort you will get average results. If you give it above average effort you will get above average results.

For example I would assume average effort is getting 60g Protein, mild exercise 3 times a week, and tracking most of the time.

Above average effort would be 60-90g Protein, limiting carbs and sugar, and moderate and strength training 3-5 times a week and tracking all the time.

You also have to be prepared to change things up once in a while. Try a different exercise, eliminate trigger foods, listen to why you eat and address underlying issues. You also need to CHOOSE to do this with every food and exercise decision every day to the point that it becomes quite routine. You also need to pick yourself up and start over after stumbling. Yes you will stumble so have a strategy to get back on the wagon.

I am down 130 lbs. Never did I think I would get here. I can still lose more IF I WANT but it may not be in my best interest because even though 184 lbs at 5-10 tall I may lose muscle instead and at age 48 going below 21% body fat may not be good.

I started out at 315. I was 295 at surgery. For 9 months I tracked every bite, ate 1300 calories with at least 75 protein and my exercise was about 3 walks a week. The first 3 months was 500-800 cals. I lost about 85 pounds down to 210 in that 9 months. I remember in the 230s I wondered wow can I actually get to the 190s. Was it possible. Weight loss was getting slow. After I got to the 210s I decided to push to get to 199. 6 months ago I started using my gym membership and signed up for personal training 2x week for 6 months. This was very expensive but I was determined. It seemed like forever but I finally got to 199 in about 2 months. Then I left my comfort zone again and joined a spin class. I started to do spin 2x week also. So now I have 6 days a week exercise including the 2 walking days. Since going to the gym 6 months ago I surpassed my overall goal of 187 and I can keep losing if I still want to on 1400 cals a day.

So to answer your question, there is no limit to weight loss. My surgeon considered me a success story at 235 lbs. But no way was I stopping there.

Than

For example I would assume average effort is getting 60g protein, mild exercise 3 times a week, and tracking most of the time.

Above average effort would be 60-90g protein, limiting carbs and sugar, and moderate and strength training 3-5 times a week and tracking all the time.

Thank you for sharing this. This is truly what I was thinking and believing in my heart... but it is good to hear you and others confirm it. What kept tripping me up a bit was hearing more of the 'moderate' results that were being mentioned by doctors. It truly had me fearing that it would be hard to get beyond that point.... It is good to know for sure it is possible to go farther than what may be mentioned... as long as it is the right and healthy thing to do for you... (though every person is different with different challenges etc.)

I am so glad I started the initial posting, because ALL of these posts have truly helped. =)

Hey guys! Sleeved 2/19. Down 79lbs since preop. Just work the plan. Be committed! You can't just eat whatever you want in small amounts & be successful. I have no doubt that I will lose over 100lbs. As the weight comes off you will feel so much better!! It is a HUGE commitment though. Just prepare yourself for that. It has not been as hard as I anticipated. Best of luck to you!!

Congratulations!!!

Many of us had the same apprehensions at your stage of the process including me. However, I'm down 130 pounds in 6.5 months, which is shocking at times, but I couldn't be more pleased with this procedure.

I love the restriction and hope it continues long-term. My guard is up about regaining but I intend to keep making healthy food choices and exercising.

Go for it and don't look back ...

Many of us had the same apprehensions at your stage of the process including me. However, I'm down 130 pounds in 6.5 months, which is shocking at times, but I couldn't be more pleased with this procedure.

I love the restriction and hope it continues long-term. My guard is up about regaining but I intend to keep making healthy food choices and exercising.

Go for it and don't look back ...

Thank you for sharing. Though I am not there yet, I can relate to what you are sharing. I am looking forward to the restriction too. I know it wont be an 'easy' road.... but it will be a joy to be able to have a small portion of a healthy food and be able to walk away... (know what i mean?) It will be good to have a stomach that will feel full on a lot less food.

Congratulations! on your awesome journey....

Sincerely, Angi