Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Band slipped...scared for whats next.

Long time bandster, mostly now a creeper lol.

A quick back story. I was banded in 2010, I had lost 70lbs and with my surgeons blessing got pregnant with my 3rd child (1st "band baby") 9 months post op. Had a successful pregnancy/delivery with an empty band. A few months after my surgery my gall bladder went bad and had it removed. Didn't do a whole lot of "maintence" with my band between 2011 and 2013. After my 4th child (2nd band baby) was born this past October I was noticing that even with an empty band I was still getting the stuck feeling and having difficulty eating and many times I found myself vomiting.

Fast forward to now. Being a mom of 4 I was putting myself on the back burner for my heath, finally I called my dr Monday and today I had an upper GI done to find my worst fear had come true, my band slipped. It isn't severe enough to need to be removed right this second but they are already working on getting everything needed to go back to the insurance company. My doctor does not feel putting another band in would be the best option since this one failed and suggested bypass. My practice does the sleeve but the PA said that because of my history with reflux I wouldn't make the best candidate and because I was so successful with my band he believes I can be with the GB as well.

I'm just afraid of that whole surgery, which is why I chose the band. But I have heard people say they've had the exact experience and ended up going the bypass route and they were happy. I had chose the band because it was less invasive and I had planned on having more kids, but now we're done and maybe this isn't a bad option.

I guess I'm just looking for others who experienced/experience this and some guidance and support :)

I know there's a band to sleeve forum and maybe a band to bypass forum too?

Found it: http://www.bariatricpal.com/forum/775-band-to-gastric-bypass-revisions/

Thanks, I'll take a look. I was hoping to find someone who was going through the same thing in here as well :)

Best wishes to you! Time to focus on mama. You want to be healthy for your 4 young'ns!

I know there's a band to sleeve forum and maybe a band to bypass forum too? Found it: http://www.bariatricpal.com/forum/775-band-to-gastric-bypass-revisions/

. I had the band almost 12 yrs ago , still have trouble in the morning , even drinking a cofee takes me an hr . After that it's ok once I eat slowly . Still throw up if I eat meat , rice , Pasta .

Heather: Sorry to learn of your slippage. I had my band 2 1/2 yrs lost 120 pounds and I was very happy. My band slipped and mine had to be removed in an emergency surgery situation. Fortunately, I also gastric sleeve plication with my band. The band was removed but the plilcation (sleeve) remains. That being said - that was 7 weeks ago and I have gained 12 pounds with no end in sight. It is ME..I am out of control with my eating and what I am eating...I can't stop. I don't know if that will happen to you or not but I sure wish I still had my band.

I am in contact with my doctor and he is not alarmed yet, he said he expected this..he has a wait and see attitude..I hope not 100 pounds worth..

Melinda in Florida

Long time bandster, mostly now a creeper lol. A quick back story. I was banded in 2010, I had lost 70lbs and with my surgeons blessing got pregnant with my 3rd child (1st "band baby") 9 months post op. Had a successful pregnancy/delivery with an empty band. A few months after my surgery my gall bladder went bad and had it removed. Didn't do a whole lot of "maintence" with my band between 2011 and 2013. After my 4th child (2nd band baby) was born this past October I was noticing that even with an empty band I was still getting the stuck feeling and having difficulty eating and many times I found myself vomiting. Fast forward to now. Being a mom of 4 I was putting myself on the back burner for my heath, finally I called my dr Monday and today I had an upper GI done to find my worst fear had come true, my band slipped. It isn't severe enough to need to be removed right this second but they are already working on getting everything needed to go back to the insurance company. My doctor does not feel putting another band in would be the best option since this one failed and suggested bypass. My practice does the sleeve but the PA said that because of my history with reflux I wouldn't make the best candidate and because I was so successful with my band he believes I can be with the GB as well. I'm just afraid of that whole surgery, which is why I chose the band. But I have heard people say they've had the exact experience and ended up going the bypass route and they were happy. I had chose the band because it was less invasive and I had planned on having more kids, but now we're done and maybe this isn't a bad option. I guess I'm just looking for others who experienced/experience this and some guidance and support :)

I had some of those issues after my son was born in 2011. Acid reflux was horrible but once they emptied the band no issues. So I did revision to the sleeve on 6/18 and so far no issues with acid reflux and I'm glad I finally did it. Is your reflux bad when you band is empty? Does your Dr think the same as the PA? I wish you all the best.

Stacie-yes my surgeon agrees that the RNY is a better option for me then the sleeve. I cant really tell right now how bad/normal my reflux is since eating almost anything is nearly impossible right now with the slip :( Thanks so much and I hope you have a great recovery!!

Stacie-yes my surgeon agrees that the RNY is a better option for me then the sleeve. I cant really tell right now how bad/normal my reflux is since eating almost anything is nearly impossible right now with the slip :( Thanks so much and I hope you have a great recovery!!

that stinks I know many was horrible and couldn't get anything down as well. Thanks so far recovery is good I'm back at work this week.