Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How much Pureed Food could you eat at first?

I start pureed tomorrow and am measuring out things into tupperware's tonight.

I've got refried Beans, ricotta cheese, pudding, and cream Soup.

How much could you eat in a 20 minute setting...1/4 cup or just a few tablespoons?? I am worried about putting too much in my sleeve because I'm not sure what Full is going to feel like.

I didn't start puréed until 18 days out and even then could only eat a couple tablespoons and I was full for the rest of the day. I had to drink most of my fluids for the day before eating anything later in the afternoon because afterwards I was too full to drink. After about a week, I could eat puree's 2 times a day and not be too full. Same thing happened once I started soft foods. 2 tbls and I'd be stuffed for the rest of the day. I just transitioned through my stages super slow and was feeling pretty normal by 3 months out.

Thank you.

Does Full feel the same as it did before? When I think of feeling really full I think of that bloated, stretching your upper body back to allow more room, heavy stomach feeling. Is it the same?

I've felt that way a few times on Clear liquids but I think it was gassy air bubbles not a full stomach.

I know I'm full when the food just won't go down anymore. I get a feeling like it's stuck in my

throat. With time, I have learned to stop before I get to that point. You'll get the hang of it,

you have to test your body and see. Don't eat too fast, I learned that the hard way, even

though I had read it many times. That is the worst feeling ever. Eat slowly, take a break, reheat

your food (lol) and eat a little more. You'll be fine.

Full is when it feels like no more can go down. The previous bite is just sitting there at the bottom of your esophagus and it doesn't feel good. I did that twice early on. Like Shelly said, you will learn fast and you won't want to repeat it. Just eat super slow to give your brain a chance to figure out when your stomach is full before it's too late. Some people have posted about puking when they ate too much too fast, but I never got to that point. And now I never eat till I'm full (once I figured it out) because it's just not worth it.

Full feels literally like you are to capacity. That if you took one more bite you know it'd come back up. You'll know what full feels like once you try it :)

As for how much you can eat, for me it varies every time I sit down to eat. Sometimes I could do a few tablespoons and sometimes it was two small bites. You figure it out. I'm only a month out and I always end up putting some of what I serve myself in the garbage.

Spoonfuls. Like... I was amazed at how little I could eat and feel stuffed... 2 or 3 and I was down for the count, for at least a few hours.

As for full, it's different for different people but you'll know beyond a shadow of a doubt that one more bite will spell trouble! For me, once I start to hiccup I know I am done.

Edited by TheCurvyJones

Im one week out and can do 4oz of tuna 4oz of puree as well. I was told not to go over that so I have not yet.

4 ozs or 1/4 cup has been the magic number for me from the start. Even now 6 months out. I still weigh 4 ozs on just about everything I eat.

In the beginning, take real small bites and take your time eating so the full feeling can catch up. The first month, I didnt always finish 4 ozs.

I could only eat 1-2 oz. Four teaspoons was my fill point and I hate the feeling of being full unlike before when I craved it constantly. It feels like something is stuck in my chest and won't budge.

I know to stop waiting when my nose starts to run. One bite past that is misery and most likely, a vomit session.

A little update...it's been about a week since I started pureed and just like the majority of responses, I can do 3-4 oz of something very thin and only 3 oz of anything a bit thicker.

My full feeling happens at that junction where the esophagus meets sleeve. I can actually feel the food pass through that area and either go right down to the bottom of the sleeve (in the beginning of eating) or stay towards the top (towards the end of my meal). One bite too many and that bite stays at that esophagus/sleeve junction just waiting for enough space to slip down further.

I don't perceive it as painful and it hasn't made me vomit but it is uncomfortable. I bet if I took another bite or two I would be in vomit territory...there would be no where else for it to go. I do not pan on testing that theory out. :)

I start pureed foods on Saturday - this thread was quite helpful! I'm glad I stumbled across it!

I started puréed food yesterday. What a relief. I was ready to move to stage 2. Had cream of wheat thinned with milk. Very thin! Had 4oz. No problems. Then had sweet potatoes puréed with chicken broth ( Apple sauce texture) , 2 oz in the eve. No issues there either. Will continue to expand my choices today. Problem I had though was cuz I was so full, I did not get the Protein in that I should have.