Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

August 2014 sleevers? Let's chat!

I am supposed to have surgery August 5 or August 12, I should find out by Wednesday and let everyone know! God Bless!!!

I have my surgery approved for Aug 6th. I go to my final appointment with he nutritionist tomorrow and start my pre op diet the following day. I have gone through every emotion, every rationality, every fear, etc through this process. And now...well I am still scared and still confused. I know my reasons for starting this process were way more than vanity. My family health history looms over my head and I feared it and was fighting a losing battle to avoid it. I am prediabetic with high cholesterol and high triglycerides. I used to be more active than I have been in the last year but even at my best 1200 calorie a day diet and 2 hr workouts 5 days a week lifestyle the smallest I could get down to was 175 and that's just a few weekends, special occasions, or holidays away from an easy 200 pounds or more. That is where I have lived since I was 18 years old (for 20 yrs now). I get mixed reactions from those who I have confided in and honestly I mostly hear "don't do it!" I have even thought of canceling my surgery date and trying one more time on my own or telling myself that maybe 175-180 isn't that bad. But the bottom line is that I know I wasn't happy or healthy at that weight and let's be honest at that weight this isn't even an option for me I'll have to wait and reconsider when I have yet once again yo-yo'd my way back to 200+. With that being said I have a friend who went to Tijuana about 2.5 yrs ago for the sleeve. She has had a very successful time. She is down to 130 and if I had to guess I'd put her in a size 4. She is no longer prediabetic nor has high cholesterol anymore. She has been my inspiration during this process and my go to for advice. She is the one who suggested I get on a forum and I am happy that I did because reading all of your comments I realize that I am not the only one feeling this way, scared of complications or permanency, concerned about the pre and post op diets, frustrated with the process, excited and scared all at the same time. Thank you for sharing and allowing me to do so as well.

Jojoreno, I'm sure it is frustrating. Hopefully, things will come together for you soon.

Mysticblu, thanks for sharing. Minus the Tijuana part, your story sounded like my own. I hope the surgery helps you to live life more fully, and best of luck for a smooth surgery and recovery.

I too am being sleeved on Aug 18. Very excited and a bit nervous but I know I have made the right decision. I just wish I had done it years ago.

Retirement is just a year and 1/2 away and finally I will be doing more than just sitting at a desk every week day. Problem is that I have carried so much weight for so much of my life that I am experiencing all sorts of complications such as high blood pressure, sleep apnea, high cholesterol and my knees have almost given up. The idea of having the time to do all the things I want to do and not being able to do it because I am physically unable is what finally pushed me over the edge.

I am very lucky that my husband is extremely supportive. I have only told a few close friends and their reactions are all different but none of them have been negative nellies. I am still up in the air as to what I will reveal if folks at work ask a direct question regarding my (hopefully huge) weight loss. I will decide on a case by case basis and go from there.

I have really found this website to be very helpful and supportive. I thank all of you that have taken time to share your experiences. Good luck to all.

I too am being sleeved on Aug 18. Very excited and a bit nervous but I know I have made the right decision. I just wish I had done it years ago. Retirement is just a year and 1/2 away and finally I will be doing more than just sitting at a desk every week day. Problem is that I have carried so much weight for so much of my life that I am experiencing all sorts of complications such as high blood pressure, sleep apnea, high cholesterol and my knees have almost given up. The idea of having the time to do all the things I want to do and not being able to do it because I am physically unable is what finally pushed me over the edge. I am very lucky that my husband is extremely supportive. I have only told a few close friends and their reactions are all different but none of them have been negative nellies. I am still up in the air as to what I will reveal if folks at work ask a direct question regarding my (hopefully huge) weight loss. I will decide on a case by case basis and go from there. I have really found this website to be very helpful and supportive. I thank all of you that have taken time to share your experiences. Good luck to all.

Best of luck to you and congrats on your decision. I'm not close to retirement but I am 50 years old and have a desire to travel and do other things my current weight restricts me from doing. Here's to us living the second half of our lives to the fullest. Cheers!

Bear with me, as I'm new with this app. Lol I'm getting my surgery sometime next month, no specific date yet. My brother and I are actually getting it done together. Probably not the same day but within the same week or so. He was looking I to it long before I ever did and mentioned it to me, at first I was very against it but after reading into it and all of the success stories I've read about it helping some get pregnant, boosting self confidence, and all around health, I'm sold! I've never had surgery or even a tooth cavity so the thought kinda scared me... Any encouraging words will help! I can't wait to start my own journey and to read more about all of y'all's!

Bear with me, as I'm new with this app. Lol I'm getting my surgery sometime next month, no specific date yet. My brother and I are actually getting it done together. Probably not the same day but within the same week or so. He was looking I to it long before I ever did and mentioned it to me, at first I was very against it but after reading into it and all of the success stories I've read about it helping some get pregnant, boosting self confidence, and all around health, I'm sold! I've never had surgery or even a tooth cavity so the thought kinda scared me... Any encouraging words will help! I can't wait to start my own journey and to read more about all of y'all's!

I'd never had surgery either so I was quite nervous as well but it all went very well and I'm certain yours will too. The best to you and your brother. How wonderful that you can support one another on this journey.

Thanks dreamgirl45 still haven't had a phone call for the upper gi. So my doctors is just getting me a morning appointment first available opening. I've read all the post getting there appointments. Just disappointed I'm still waiting for this to be sent to insurance. Worked out at the gym this weekend and swimming yesterday.

I am getting sleeved also on the 4th! I'm so excited and have my pre-op appointment today. I live in VA and will be having surgery at the Virginia Hospital Center with Dr. Mays. Today is the last appointment for me before surgery on the 4th!!! I start my pre-op liquid diet a week before surgery. My family is supportive but know of people that have gained weight back after the surgery, so they are skeptical- And with my 37 year record of loosing and gaining they aren't as confident in me as I would like them to be but I'm going to do all of the work and fully commit so I can get my life back and prevent future medical problems to come!! Good luck everyone!

I am in NC and I am getting sleeved on August 13. I have full support of my fiancée, my sister & best friend. My mom is skeptical but coming around. I agree to why do people think we have not visited every other option before making this decision. I am excited and scared. This site has been encouraging.????

How are you feeling? I honestly cannot believe it's about to happen. I had my Pre-op meeting with my nutritionist today to discuss the Pre-op diet that I'll be starting Monday. I just really can't believe it's here. How are you preparing mentally?

Hello, all! After about a month of waiting for my insurance company to sign off on my surgery, I finally got approved this week. I honestly cannot believe it. I've already competed psych counseling, nutrition counseling, blood tests, EKG, etc. I start my two-week pre-op liquid diet July 28 and get sleeved Aug. 11.

For the most part, I have family support. At work, those closest to me have said things like, "You're not large enough. You don't need to do that. Please reconsider," to "How long will you be out? I better get in my vacation time in before you go." One co-worker looks at me in a sad, troubled, puzzled expression when she sees me and explained that her neighbor had WLS and it was a bad experience. So, it's quite a challenge to share my news with people who don't get "it." And that is okay. It is not for them to "get." This is for ME! Sorry, for that virtual self psych-analysis. I must admit that I am a little nervous about surgery (I don't like any kind of hospital procedures), but I'm eager to start living a healthier life.

Would love to hear from anyone else getting sleeved in August, what your chief concerns are and where you're located. My surgeon is at UTSW in Dallas.

My surgery is August 28. (waiting for Cardio clearance and no unusual issues) My biggest concern is having encouraging support. I'm trying to limit who I tell before surgery, then I will gradually tell others later. I'm only telling immediate family and those that need to know, (ej: supervisor, church support group, and just a few) I'm in New Jersey. My surgeon is Dr. Robert Bell of CT, who is now in NJ. Best wishes for a successful hospital experience. :-)

Hi, Dreamgirl! Thanks for starting this discussion~I am planning on surgery in August, too, and trying to do as much research as possible. I'm sure I need to do this for ME, but as I've made changes to my diet, and I've lost 14 lbs. so far, I wonder if maybe I'm jumping the gun. I know I want to lose the 100 lbs, and I need to lose them, I worry that it's such a major/radical approach. I really want to be healthy, and not have aches and pains, and am hoping this will improve/eliminate my Firomyalgia. I've told only my husband, daughter, and father and don't plan on telling anyone at work, other than I'm working with a nutritionist and watching what I eat and exercising. I plan on telling my boss that I need time off for gall bladder surgery--cowardly, I know, but I don't want it broadcast throughout my workplace, as there are many "Gladys Kravitts'" where I work. (For you younguns, Glady Kravitts was the nosey neighbor on Bewtiched. Google it. ) Anyhow, I'm sorry for ramlbing....Thanks for starting this discussion~I'm sure I'll post more as the time comes closer.