Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

August 2014 sleevers? Let's chat!

I'm getting sleeved August 4th in Houston Texas. I'm excited about my upcoming surgery. My wife, on the other hand, is very worried. My wife is the only person I told about getting sleeved. If I didn't have to stay in the hospital a few days I wouldn't have told her either. We have a good supportive marriage. I just don't want her to worry more than she already has. I'm not going to tell anybody else about my decision to get WLS. I don't like being the topic of conversation. Nor do I want deal with anybody comments. Positive or negative...I just don't want to deal with it. I don't have any health problems right now. I know if I don't do something soon I'm going to start having some of the medical issues soon.

So let's do this. I'm ready & excited to start this new journey.

I havent told anyone other than my partner as I dont want to listen to their negativity and horror stories I am well aware of the risks and the permancy of the sleeve but I have dieted and exercised my whole adult life so I think I have well and truly reached the point of needing some surgical intervention. I am having my surgery August 19 and have no plans to tell any one before or after.

My surgery is on August 19 and I wished I had not told anyone at work. They are talking about me wondering why I would do something so drastic. I work in a hospital business dept...a few other people in other depts had it done. I keep hearing comments that such in such lost 85 lbs in 2 months how they can't swallow and it's hard for them eat anything. Do you really want to suffer that way!

Hi everyone, had my sleeve surgery July 14th. Home now and almost through the first week of liquid diet. So far so good. Word of warning that I haven't heard people talk about. Be prepared for a post op weight gain only because they pump you full of fluids in the hospital and your body is swollen. I'm still trying to get rid of all the fluids my body is holding, 10lbs of it. I'm not worried I know my weight will drop back down I was just a bit alarmed and wanted to share so others knew that this is normal and temporary. Best of luck to everyone!

That's interesting. Thanks, CathyG. I don't think I have heard of that happening to anyone else. What has it been like still being on liquids? Are you starving? I would imagine that it's very much a head thing-- knowing that you just can't eat yet until you're healed enough. Best wishes for a continued successful recovery.

Hello, all! After about a month of waiting for my insurance company to sign off on my surgery, I finally got approved this week. I honestly cannot believe it. I've already competed psych counseling, nutrition counseling, blood tests, EKG, etc. I start my two-week pre-op liquid diet July 28 and get sleeved Aug. 11.

For the most part, I have family support. At work, those closest to me have said things like, "You're not large enough. You don't need to do that. Please reconsider," to "How long will you be out? I better get in my vacation time in before you go." One co-worker looks at me in a sad, troubled, puzzled expression when she sees me and explained that her neighbor had WLS and it was a bad experience. So, it's quite a challenge to share my news with people who don't get "it." And that is okay. It is not for them to "get." This is for ME! Sorry, for that virtual self psych-analysis. I must admit that I am a little nervous about surgery (I don't like any kind of hospital procedures), but I'm eager to start living a healthier life.

Would love to hear from anyone else getting sleeved in August, what your chief concerns are and where you're located. My surgeon is at UTSW in Dallas.

Im getting my sleeve on August 6 and all I hear all day from family and the Dr. I work for is how i don't need it, you are losing weight on your own just keep doing what your doing and you'll be fine what people don't realize is that im doing this for me so that I can feel more confident in my self and to be healthier. Because I'm tall people look at me and say oh you don't need that but when I tell them how much I weigh they don't believe me. So just keep your head up and ignore what everyone else have to say.

KayKay, I at first didn't want to tell anyone, but I thought -- I spend more time with these people than anyone except for my family. I just didn't want the stress of hiding from my colleagues coupled with the stress of trying to get used to my new body/life. As for people whispering about why would such and such do this.... we have to remember why we're doing it-- to get healthier. My husband said, "Let them talk. I'd rather them say 'why did she have weight loss surgery?' Instead of saying 'why didn't she do something?'"

My only supporter is my husband.

I will be getting sleeved on August 11th as well. I'm so nervous. It's just a few weeks away. Just a few people know, but my mother is my biggest supporter. She will be with me on the day of my surgery and she'll be staying with me for a week after.

Edited by keish_lorraine

I'm getting sleeved Aug. 11 too! What state are you in? I'm in Texas, 46, 5"6, 250 lbs. Let's keep connected so that we can encourage each other. All good wishes!

if you have cancer or something it's okay to go ahead and take whatever measures you need to do in order to survive so I don't understand why most people don't understand that carrying all this extra weight is almost the same category as far as preventing you from enjoying and doing things you want to do. I feel so incapacitated by this weight and I struggle just to do basic things so I am not going to be ashamed to take whatever measures I need to do in order to change and enjoy my life and to be healthy. So my coworkers are kind of puzzled and they are talking behind my back like she's already losing weight on our own why is this necessary. I'm not going to hide anything and I'm not going to be ashamed of saving my life. I totally agree with you dreamgirl.

That's interesting. Thanks, CathyG. I don't think I have heard of that happening to anyone else. What has it been like still being on liquids? Are you starving? I would imagine that it's very much a head thing-- knowing that you just can't eat yet until you're healed enough. Best wishes for a continued successful recovery.

It's been okay dreamgirl. There have been days when I was certain it was true hunger based on stomach gases etc. I didn't expect that. The only problem I've had is getting really tired of the sweet options in the liquid phase. You will definitely crave something savory so be sure to have your Campbell's 98% fat free Soup choices on hand (strain if need be) and your chicken broth. Otherwise everything is going well. I just tell myself this part is temporary and I can do anything for a short time. ????

Hi everyone some of us it's a longl journey and some shot. Mine seems long had my last two test or so I thought just to find out I need the upper gi before they can send to insurance. Someone drop the ball so now hopefully I'll have a call from the hospital for that test by wednesday have to take more time off from work for that. Ugh been working on this since February. Had the 6 month diet. So hoping still for operation in August.